Forwarding excess luggage in Switzerland or to USA

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 20:00:42 #812598

I asked earlier about this issue but now I’ve twp follow-up question.

I understand I can send luggage to a staffed rail station e.g., Zermatt to Grindelwald. How do I find out which other stations are staffed that I can send that excess luggage to. I am specifically interested in Chur and/or Scuol.

My preference would be to send the luggage home, we have no need of it after the Monte Rosa trip. Has anyone done this .. shipped from Switzerland to the US? Any recommendations? cautions? . I see many companies advertise but it’s always US to Europe … what about the reverse? Where can I ship it from specifically in Switzerland? Do I need to be present to send it along or can I have it picked up at my hotel after I’ve checked out.

Thanks for any advice… please remember this is luggage full of “specialty” gear not easily rented or borrowed nor needed after our expedition.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2017 at 23:51:36 #866717

Okay, from another post I believe I’ve figured out how to handle my pesky luggage.

Using this sbb website: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age-and-flight-luggage/luggage/luggag e.html

I believe that I can a) check the luggage in Zermatt and b) pick it up in Lugano 15 days later.

If anyone wants to confirm that I’ve read my options correctly, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks Rockoyster for using this url as part of an answer to another poster.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 8:05:05 #866718

Hi Julie,

Yes you are right, you can send from Zermatt to Lugano. Please note on that webpage that after 4 days they start charging you 5chf per day. You will want to inform them that you aren’t picking up the luggage for 15 days after shipping as well.

If you are flying out of Switzerland then I think it is much cheaper to send the luggage ahead to your last stop before picking it up – rather than ship it back to the US, but that is up to you. If a company notes they ship from US to Europe there should be no issue shipping it in the reverse direction.

Lucas

TexasK
    Participant
    3 posts
    13 July 2017 at 12:54:23 #866719

Hello,

We use Luggage Forward based out of Boston in the U.S. and it works perfectly. We forward some of our luggage ahead to Switzerland before we arrive and then forward it back to the USA. Give them a call.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 13:18:51 #866720

Lucas and TexasK,

My thanks for confirming my plan will work and the recommendation of Luggage Forward.

Lucas, I’d not thought to inform SBB that I wouldn’t pick up UNTIL a later date, that is very helpful “how-to” information. I knew about the 5CHF / day fee.I can live with that no problem. We are flying out of Milan, which means we only need to deal with the luggage from Lugano to Milan – this too is doable.

TexasK, I’ll reach out to Luggage Forward. My concern is about a Saturday pick-up in Zermatt if I need to be present.

• The thread ‘Forwarding excess luggage in Switzerland or to USA’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.