Photographers car on the Gotthard Panorama Express

• Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 March 2018 at 10:25:09 #815029

I have gotten my first class reservation for the section of the Gotthard Panorama Express (GPX) between Flüelen and Bellinzona in May. I’ve followed the links on the GPX page here to book the reservation in first class, so that part worked.

http://www.happyrail.com/en/g otthard-panorama-express

I am trying to figure out how to make sure that I can get a seat in the car with windows that open, for better photography.

Even though it was discussed here not long ago, I can’t seem to find the information. I am communicating with Happy Rail to see if they can clarify the information. I know that Rockoyster gave a lot of details, but for some reason I can’t find that post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Slowpoke

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 March 2018 at 13:09:54 #880275

Hi Slowpoke,

Here’s the thread you were searching for, I think: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-advice-8/page/3

There is a photo car with opening windows in 2nd class. So I guess it should be no problem to move back and forth between that car and your reserved seat.

Have fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 March 2018 at 13:27:02 #880276

Goede dag, Arno.

Happy rail has gotten back to me. Still a few bits of clarity lacking, but I’ll book inthe photo car through them.

Met dank,

Fred

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 March 2018 at 2:06:44 #880277

Hi Slowpoke,

When we did the GPE last year the maitre d’train advised us and our fellow traveller’s living it up in 1st class that we were welcome to pop down to the photographer’s coach whenever we liked. I didn’t take up the offer.

Be interested to see how you find it.

The SBB reservations service at goo.gl/vfV4wK provides for reservations on the GPE but you can only pick class not carriage. I wonder if Happy Rails improve on that?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 March 2018 at 8:13:13 #880278

Hi Rockoyster –

<<” I wonder if Happy Rails improve on that?”>>

Did.

It took some e-mails, but my reservation in first class booked on line was converted to a 2nd class photography car reservation. Same cost. As far as I know, it will not be a specific seat,but, I asked them for a window seat if it could be booked.

For various logistical reasons, I’ll have a car on that portion of my trip, and I’ll park it in Brunnen near the Post…that lot never seems to fill up…and get a train to Flüelen that arrives before the GPE boat. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get on before the crowd, if any, and get a window seat. When I return, I’ll take the basis tunnel and stay at or near near Brunnen that night. Trying to decide if I want to pay the stiff price for one night at the Waldstätterhof. Great views, and fond memories of my first stay there in 1986, before they dumbed down the menu on the terrace.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 March 2018 at 8:47:36 #880279

Waldstätterhof looks like nice digs.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 March 2018 at 9:30:52 #880280

They charge for “nice.” 😉

Great views down the Urnersee at dawn. Sometime you just get sunlight on the tip of Uri Rotstock.

Old files on film of that sight did not capture the full dynamic range and I did not bracket. Given good light, I’ll be able to get a few exposures at different EV’s and get the lighting balanced by layering the files and selective masking. Might have to carry my tripod

That is what I did on that panorama of Trachselwald to get the Alps and the foreground both well lighted.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 March 2018 at 14:43:54 #880281

Hi Slowpoke,

That sounds like a great plan for the day. I wondered if you ever stayed at the opposite site of the lake, up in Seelisberg? It’s quite a remarkable place because it’s 400 m or so above the lake.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 March 2018 at 17:09:50 #880282

<<“I wondered if you ever stayed at the opposite site of the lake, up in Seelisberg? “>>

Hi Arno-

Indeed, a few times at the basic and inexpensive Hotel Montana, once for few days at the Bellevue.

Logistics of travel the next day strongly suggest staying on the eastern shores of the lake.

We used the Swiss Holiday Park in Morschach for a couple of stays, one time with daughter and granddaughter in 2009. Doesn’t match my needs this time; also not sure if they do one night rentals.

Many years ago,the White Cross in Flüelen. It’s a possibility.

I’m looking at Weggis and Schwyz as well as Brunnen. Hotel Wysses Rössli has always been nice when I’ve stayed there. Weggis charges for the location.

I’d try the Bergsonne up on the Rigi, but that early in the season, they may not be offering rooms or even opening the restaurant on a Thursday night. They are cutting back on hours.

Where have you stayed around the Vierwaldstättersee?

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 March 2018 at 18:39:48 #880283

I’ve stayed just outside Stans in an old farm house on the slopes of the Stanserhorn. Overlooking Vierwaldstättersee, which was great, but as your images show there are many great locations there. Seelisberg isn’t very central but it’s still on my wish list. For your plans indeed the other side of the lake is best. Brunnen has a train station and is on the lake; quite ideal.

• The thread ‘Photographers car on the Gotthard Panorama Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.