Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Which Swiss rail pass is best?

Which Swiss rail pass is best?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
wjwoo
wjwoo
10 posts
Jan 12, 2020 - 7:40 AM

Hi, I am a bit confused as to which rail pass to buy. Initially I thought the Swiss Travel Pass would be the one for us, but now I'm not sure if we should get the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. Our itinerary is as follows.

1 night Zurich

1 night Lucerne

4 nights Wengen

2 nights Zermatt

2 nights Chur

1 night Zurich airport

We will travel by train and hope to do the Glacier Express from Zermatt to Chur. Our spare days in Wengen will include Jungfrau, weather permitting as well as trains to surrounding villages. We may not travel every day, but would the option to travel if we want to.

Also my son and his partner will be with us from Zurich to Wengen and then they will return to Zurich to head back to the UK. Would the Swiss Half Fare Card be better for them?

Hope you can give me some guidance.

Suzanne
Suzanne
299 posts
top member &
Jan 12, 2020 - 10:12 AM

Hello wjwoo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would suggest looking at this link and downloading the excel sheet so you can make your own calculations with the two travel passes you have in mind.

Swiss Travel Pass:

Swiss Travel Pass Flex:

I think that the Swiss Half Fare Card would be beneficial for your son and his partner if they don't plan on doing too much train travels. In addition with the Swiss Half Fare Card, I would suggest the Saver Day Pass. This pass allows unlimited traveling for one day and additional savings on top of the Swiss Half Fare Card. The details of the pass I will attach in the link below:

Swiss Half Fare Card:

I will attach all the links to the various places of interest according to your itinerary; perhaps it may give you further inspiration:

If you decide to go to Jungfraujoch, check out the weather before you go, here is the link to weather cam: www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/webcams/

Glacier Express:

Good luck with the planning!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Last modified on Jan 12, 2020 - 10:52 AM by Suzanne
wjwoo
wjwoo
10 posts
Jan 12, 2020 - 10:42 AM

Thank you Suzanne for your information. I will look at all the links you gave me.

I appreciate your prompt reply.

Cheers.

Suzanne
Suzanne
299 posts
top member &
Jan 12, 2020 - 12:33 PM

Hello wjwoo,

You're most welcome. Please write back when you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Suzanne

Jurbera
Jurbera
22 posts
Jan 13, 2020 - 3:25 AM in reply to wjwoo

4 days pass is best.

wjwoo
wjwoo
10 posts
Jan 13, 2020 - 3:34 AM in reply to Jurbera

Hi Jurbera, thanks for replying. Just wondering, do you mean a 4 day pass is best for my son and his partner? My husband and I are there for 12 days.

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 13, 2020 - 4:04 AM in reply to wjwoo

There is no one-size-fits-all answer. To get the best deal do the math based on a detailed itinerary Including mountain excursions you plan to do as well as train rides from one location to another.

I strongly recommend using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) for checking train, bus, boat and cable way timetables, finding fares* and buying tickets on-line if required. In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the SBB timetable it is worth first reading the instructions at www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app can also display a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections. You can also easily filter modes of transport (eg bus or ship).

When are you travelling? You need seat reservations for the Glacier Express.

Don’t rule out the Swiss Half-Fare Card as a good solution for all of you - providing your don’t mind buying tickets as you go. It’s easy with the SBB app and most mountain excursions are the same discount (or better in the case of Jungfraujoch) as with the Swiss Travel Pass. Used in conjunction with the Saver Day Pass (bought well in advance) or Supersaver fares (tied to specific trains so take care) for longer journeys it can be quite cost effective. There is no doubt the Swiss Travel Pass wins on convenience.

Last modified on Jan 13, 2020 - 4:24 AM by rockoyster
Jurbera
Jurbera
22 posts
Jan 13, 2020 - 12:40 PM in reply to wjwoo

Web has made everything simple. Just search in this forum or tripadviser or seat62.

You get all options thoroughly discussed

Or

Just land in Swiss and visit any railway or boat station.

They will help u out.

No need of advance booking as there is no dynamic pricing

rockoyster
rockoyster
8392 posts
expert
Jan 14, 2020 - 2:33 AM in reply to Jurbera

Would that be The Man in Seat 61 perhaps?

Jurbera
Jurbera
22 posts
Jan 14, 2020 - 5:02 AM in reply to rockoyster

Ya..

😀

This seat61 is very prompt in clearing doubts n queries.

Thoroughly enjoyable experience for me to chalk out my itinerary last year dittisi in Mumbai house and taking help of these ppl.

Swiss is very easy country for tourists. U get full guidance even at Jaunfrauoch top!!!!!

Great.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020