Pilatus cogwheel opening dates in May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2019 at 18:12:24 #820413

We will be in Wengen for 5 days, leaving there on May 14th. I have read that the cogwheel opens around mid-May. How do we find out exact date of opening, and is it worth going via Kriens or should we go to Rigi if we want cogwheel or will we get enough in Wengen. Physically unable to “play” in snow so won’t be stopping on way up to Tobaggon unfortunately. Thanks for help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2019 at 21:07:06 #906603

Keep an eye on this link – http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/. It is definitely worth going via Kriens if the cogwheel is not operating. Do both if it is. Check the weather is clear first though.

The cogwheel to Rigi is quite tame compared to Pilatus. Still a nice scenic trip though. Rigi is more of a large hill than a mountain peak (relatively speaking in Swiss terms). 🤓

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 March 2019 at 8:05:49 #906604

H Piper2 –

This link may also be helpful, although, as you note, the “mid- May” date is not yet precisely defined.

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 13:21:57 #906605

Thank you. Will definitely get up there one way or another weather permitting. Great forum

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 15:27:22 #906606

Hi Piper

Some good advice from the experts! You can find the dates of operation details and routes here: http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere

Here are some additional links to help:

Hope that answers your question, and have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 March 2019 at 16:12:24 #906607

Hi Maria,

As noted earlier in the thread, the answer to Piper’s question is still not yet available on the link you provided.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 March 2019 at 16:31:17 #906608

Hi Slowpoke,

Indeed, mid-May is as precise as we can be at this time. It all depends on the temperatures and snow fall this spring. I must admit I’ve traveled to Alpnachstad once, only to find the cogwheel train to be closed. It opened later during that same vacation fortunately.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2019 at 22:14:52 #906609

good morning everybody, just would like to make an additional question going to mt. Pilatus on june 5.

when buying the tickets and I am ask about the start date, is this also the date that we have to go. I am asking this due to my concern about the unpredictable weather.

that being said, is it wise to buy the tickets when in Switzerland instead of buying the tickets in advance and print it home? I am building our itinerary to be flexible in case that the weather will affect the mountain trip and we have an alternative on going to another place.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2019 at 22:21:05 #906610

Not sure where you are looking at buying from but I would buy tickets for any mountain trip on the day when you are satisfied the weather conditions are favourable. Buying in advance has no real advantage because even with a Swiss Travel Pass for a free mountain you still have to visit the mountain ticket office.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2019 at 9:05:41 #906611

Hi Nini,

As already said, the opening of the Pilatus cogwheel train is subject to short-term weather development and can vary from year to year. Rockoysters link will be helpful there.

I personally don’t think Mount Pilatus is the same without the cogwheel train, so I would try and make the roundtrip if somehow possible.

Best,
    Steph

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 March 2019 at 12:11:46 #906612

Hi Steph-

<<“I personally don’t think Mount Pilatus is the same without the cogwheel train,”>>

I share your opinion. Here are some old pictures from one of my earlier trips to Switzerland. The cograil ride leaves long-lasting memories

Also, some more recent ones, including one with clouds, as well as a nice view from Sachseln on a sunny day. And, two images of the unusual design of a switch ( US term) provided for rail fans, such as Gunzel

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Pilatus cogwheel opening dates in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.