Hotel Caprice or Silberhorn in Wengen?

• pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    19 November 2018 at 14:01:36 #818980

I’m going to be visiting Switzerland and I’ve decided to make my base the fine town of Wengen. I’ve narrowed my choice of hotels to either Hotel Caprice or Hotel Silberhorn.

Any thoughts or experience on either of these properties?

Thanks

(supposedly the Caprice is getting renovated)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    20 November 2018 at 0:02:29 #899289

pkerr,

I spentI 3 nights in Wengen this past September and stayed at the Hotel Victoria Lauberhorn. It is the first hotel one comes to after crossing the train tracks and it was fabulous. It’s a three star hotel, spa, pool, and other things available as well. I didn’t spend a lot of time in it to use all the facilities available, only because I was out exploring the region. That being said, it had a great breakfast, (included) both hot and cold food, and I will stay there again when I return, hopefully next year. The Silberhorn is right there also at the other end of the station. A very nice little café just to the right of it at the foot of the hill, just on the other side of the Coop. Good soup and some prepared sandwiches to take on hikes. I don’t know about the two hotels other than I remember seeing them when planning my trip. But as far as location is concerned, almost any hotel is good as they are all in walking distance from the train, and the town is not that big, but it is packed with beauty and a good location for a base. I know this doesn’t answer your question about the two hotels, but if you can’t decide on those two, try this one. I had a view of the Lauterbrunnen valley and a balcony. I didn’t request the balcony or view, but I believe it was because it was September and not the busy season. I also spent two nights in Zermatt and stayed at the Hotel Welschen. The reason I chose that hotel is because it advertised a “view of the Matterhorn”. Not just a “mountain view”. I stopped searching and booked it right then and there. It had a balcony also, and as far as I was concerned, it didn’t get any better than that. It’s about a 6 to 8 minute walk from the train station, if they don’t pick you up first. Great breakfast included, view of the Matterhorn also as you eat. Friendly service and a monitor (most hotels have one) of the mountain peaks in the area, to see if it is clear up there. The funicular to the Sunnegga is right out the door of the hotel also, if that happens to be on your list of places to go to. Hope this helps you some. Wherever you do stay, it will be worth it. Have a great trip.

Danielsan

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    20 November 2018 at 0:24:04 #899290

Danielsan,

Thanks for all the great info! Any recommendations for hikes in the area?

We will be going to Zermatt after Wengen so I’ll definitely check out the hotel you stayed at.

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    20 November 2018 at 2:27:16 #899291

Hi pkerr,

I did the hike from Grutschalp to Murren via Winteregg, stopping for a beer and a slice of apricot pie. The hike is fairly easy to do. A bit of an uphill climb at the beginning in spots but not difficult. There are two trails though. After leaving the cable car and starting the hike, after the gate (for the cows) take the trail to the left. I was told that was less difficult. The scenery is just spectacular. The sun was out the whole time with the Jungfrau and the Monch. The Eiger had its top in a cloud the whole time but, again it was a spectacular 2 hours or so. The cable car is directly across from the train station after coming down from Wengen. The train ride to/from Wengen is amazing too. Sit on the left side (going down from Wengen) for an awesome view of the valley below, and the Staubach Falls. I took the cable car to Gimmelwald (from Murren) and to Stechelberg and the bus back to Lauterbrunnen. From there I went into Interlaken and the Harder Kulm which is also beautiful.

I also did the hike from the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. That was the next day, before I left Wengen for Luzern. That too, was an easy hike and also stunning, in spite of the cloudy day. The Eiger was there the whole time, but the day was overcast. Still amazing though. Seeing the Eiger the whole time was just amazing to look at the whole time. I basically ran out of time and wanted to do so much more. There are tons of trails in the region, but those are the two I could fit in.

The Mannlichen cable car was, I believe half off with my Swiss Travel Pass. The train back to Wengen from Kleine Sheidegg was not, I believe it was 18 or 20 Francs.

In Zermatt, don’t miss the Gornergrat. Some hiking up there, but the scenery is just unbelievable. I was up there for about two and a half hours, including watching the sun go down right over the Matterhorn’s shoulder. Stunning! Simply stunning!! There is a lot to do in Zermatt also, as far as hiking. You have plenty of time to research that before you go. Explore the many links that are on this web-site, you will be happy you did. September is a fantastic time of year to go. I missed the crowds and the weather was spot on. You’re going to love it. Happy trails.

Danielsan

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 November 2018 at 14:25:27 #899292

Hi PKerr –

<<“I’m going to be visiting Switzerland and I’ve decided to make my base the fine town of Wengen. I’ve narrowed my choice of hotels to either Hotel Caprice or Hotel Silberhorn.

Any thoughts or experience on either of these properties?”>>

The Silberhorn is fine. Nice views from the upper rooms. The cafe on he lowest level has a good range of menu options; we liked to eat there. I recall that the upstairs dining room had a lot of “room with meal” sittings with a fixed menu, and some minor issue with ordering a la carte. Today, I’d eat across the road at the Cafe Eiger.

I’ve wanted to stay at the Caprice, but it was out of my price range, and required two night stays on some occasions. The kitchen has fantastic reputation. A look at the map tells you it will have fantastic views.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Hotel Caprice or Silberhorn in Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.