Places to stay along the Bernina Express route

• Joanrw
    Participant
    3 posts
    21 September 2021 at 3:53:22 #826125

Aloha, We are planning on taking the Bernia Express one way from Chur to Tirano and spend the night before taking it back the next day. Would love some suggestions for where to stay that night. We are traveling with our adult son and don’t mind sharing a room Something quaint but not too expensive. Also looking for advice on hotels in Zurich, same criteria.

Mahalo, in advance. Joan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    21 September 2021 at 6:08:14 #936649

Hi Joan,

Aloha. You can look for hotels in Tirano (and Zurich) on Booking.com, Hotels.com or any of the travel related sites. (Trip adviser, etc.) I used Booking for a majority of my hotels. Tirano is not that big, so there shouldn’t be much problem matching your budget. While I did not stay in Tirano, I did take the Bernina express through there, switching to a train on the way to St Moritz from the Lugano/Tirano bus leg of the Bernina. There are also some listing on this site as well, if you look towards the bottom of this page after the last post there is a section about “tips on where to sleep”. Start there, and go on to other sites from there if you want to. On Booking there is a “see on map” link that shows not only where the hotels are located, (convenient for seeing how close to a train station they may be) but also has many other hotels to choose from, each one represented by a little rectangular box with the price in it. (Just click on the little rectangle). You can zoom in/out on that link and go right to Zurich to look at hotels there. Give it a try, look around, have fun with it. Hope this helps get you. started on your journey.

Danielsan

Anna
    6355 posts
    21 September 2021 at 8:54:18 #936650

Hi Joanrw,

There are various lovely towns and villages along the Bernina Express line. The route is explained in detail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/berninaexpress/gettingthere Look for a place that might interest you and work from there. In addition to Tirano as recommended by Danielsan, my suggestions would be Poschiavo, Pontresina or Filisur/Bergun. St Moritz has more options for big and luxurious hotels: http://www.myswissalps.com/stmoritz/hotels

You can use this link to search for accommodation in Zurich: http://www.myswissalps.com/zurich/hotels

Regards,

Anna

StevefromHou
    Participant
    148 posts
    21 September 2021 at 16:57:59 #936651

Joanrw,

I have stayed at a little place in Tirano. It was a very comfortable room and planning to stay there again in January 2022.

I found it on booking. com, it is called Eco Rooms & Breakfast Tirano. The listed picture is of the red train with black mountains in the background.

I talked with the owner, the family owns the restaurant on the corner and they have rooms in the building with the restaurant along with additional rooms near by. The breakfast is served in the restaurant each morning.

The rooms and restaurant are all around 200 feet from the train stations. Very inexpensive and room I had was just renovated.

Happy Travels,

Steve

Joanrw
    Participant
    3 posts
    21 September 2021 at 18:42:35 #936652

Mahalo for the great information!

Joanrw
    Participant
    3 posts
    21 September 2021 at 20:22:09 #936653

Thank you for your suggestion. I’ll check it out. Joan

• The thread ‘Places to stay along the Bernina Express route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.