Scenic trips in event of poor weather from Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 6:56:45 #813170

Hi, I would like some feedback on two alternate trips in the event we strike poor weather to see the mountains. We will be based in Brig early October for 3 nights as the start of our 8 day Swiss holiday and plan to catch the Glacier express to St. Moritz. Whilst based at Brig we wish to travel to Zematt and see the Materhorn. We would also like to visit Jungfrau as a day trip but this is not critical as we will have another opportunity when returning later via Lucern.

The two plan B trips I have in mind are as follows. I think they are OK but just need some feedback regards the logistics e.g if the transfers are not too difficult, also I understand that the train from Domodossola to Locano requires a supplement payment to the Swiss Travel Card. How much is this? I suspect that this train might be a reservation only service, what are the chances of making a booking for 2 on the day of travel or day prior? Can a booking be done from Brig railway station? Any other suggestions or preference of one over the other most welcome

Brig _ Domodossola _ Locano _ Brig

BUS 631 from Brig to Domodossola, Stazione 09:18

• Brig, Bahnhof,

• Domodossola, Stazione 11:00 am

• Domodossola (I) D 53 Direction Locarno FART TRENO PANORAMICO VIGEZZO VISION 11:25

• Locarno FART 13:19

Walk

• Locarno, Platform 2 S 20 25652 Direction Castione-Arbedo 14:05

• Bellinzona, Platform 1 14:29

Walk

Bellinzona, Platform 6 RegioExpress 4318 Direction Erstfeld 14:51

Göschenen, Platform 1 15:59

Walk

Göschenen, Platform 13 R 655 Direction Andermatt 16:11

Andermatt 16:21

Walk

Andermatt, Platform 4 R 561 Direction Visp 16:37

Brig Bahnhofplatz, Platform 11 18:33

Brig Gruyeres Montreux Brig

Brig InterCity 809 Direction Romanshorn

• Lötschberg-Basistunnel

• Spiez, Platform 4, Arrival 07:24;

Spiez, Platform 2 regioexpress 4061 07:36

• Zweisimmen, Platform 6 Arrival 08:19;

Fast train 2111 Direction MontreuxMOB PANORAMIC Departure 08:25

• Montbovon 09:28

Montbovon S 60 Direction Broc-Fabrique Departure 09:40

• Gruyères Arrival 09:59

(4 hours Gruyeres)

Gruyères S 60 14972 Direction Montbovon Departure 13:59

• Montbovon Arrival 14:20

Walk

Montbovon Departure 14:26 R 2221 Direction Montreux

• Montreux, Platform 6 Arrival 15:13

(2 hours Montreux)

Montreux, to Brig Departure 17:11, via Aigle, St-Maurice, Martigny, Sion, Sierre/Siders Visp,

Brig, Platform 8, Arrival 18:32

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 September 2017 at 10:24:47 #869413

Both trips wold be quite good.

Domodossola to Locarno supplement is CHF/EUR1.50 payable on-board train. It won’t break the bank!

You can certainly buy tickets at Brig Station.

When are you travelling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2017 at 10:41:51 #869414

Yes, I agree both are good options and the connection times seem fine here. Where you have short connections like Zweisimmen the station is very small so finding the train is quite easy. 🙂

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 September 2017 at 20:29:51 #869415

Sorry I misread your question “I suspect that this train might be a reservation only service, what are the chances of making a booking for 2 on the day of travel or day prior? Can a booking be done from Brig railway station?”

Reservations are not required on the Centovalli Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2017 at 1:23:29 #869416

Hi,

Monday October 9 and Oct 10 are the days we would look to do these alternate trips should the weather be sour. Booked on the Glacier express on the 11th.

Thanks so much for the feedback – I’ve learnt so much from following all the posts and comments, I think I must have adjusted our trip more than a dozen times. I’m sure our trip will be a much richer experience from what I had first planned – great valuable service, keep it up.

• The thread ‘Scenic trips in event of poor weather from Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.