Plan for one day in Montreux area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2019 at 13:12:25 #823637

Apologies for starting a new thread as my old thread is closed http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-suggestions-for-8-days-in-september

I will be in Switzerland from September 21st to 28th 2019, i will visit Lucerne, Lauterbrunen from September 21st to 27th. I will be reaching Montreux from Lauterbrunnen around 8 pm on September 27th. My outbound flight is on September 28th at 9:30 pm from Geneva to Edinburgh. Now i am planning my last day in Montreux, and looking for suggestions, i want to explore Vevey and Montreux areas and we are not interested in visiting the Chateau de Chillon castle.

I am thinking of 2 options, we might start around 9 am from Montreux, please let me know which is a better options in terms of the views and taking the pictures

1) Train from Montreux to Vevey

Vevey to La Tour-de-Peilz via old town walk, 3 kms 1hr

La Tour de Peilz to Montreux by Bus 20 mins

Montreux to Chateau de Chillon , by walk 3kms 1hr

Chateau de Chillon to Montreux by bus

Montreux to Geneva train

2) Montreux to Chateau de Chillon walk, 3kms 1hr

Chateau de Chillon to vevey by bus

Vevey to La Tour-de-Peilz, by walk

La Tour de Peilz to Montreux Bus 20 mins

Montreux to Geneva train

please clarify below questions

1) Does the farmer’s market in Vevey open on Saturday morning?

2) As i already bought Half Fare card, i am thinking of buying 3 zone mobilis vaud pass which will cost me 7 CHF, is that correct?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2019 at 23:21:08 #921229

You might try calculating if Mobilis can help you get nearer to Geneva, as Geneva canton is very small, you are in Vaud canton as far as Mies, and you could get a RE train as far as Coppet where local Geneva suburban service start.

In Montreux a simple activity would be to go up the Rochers de Naye railway: https://www.myswissalp s.com/rochersdenaye.

Annika
    7103 posts
    30 August 2019 at 6:27:03 #921230

Hello Durga! No problem creating a new thread in such cases. As for your questions:

1) The markets are held each Saturday in July and August between 10 am and 13 pm: http://www.region-du-leman.ch/en/P1083/veve y-folk-markets. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re referring to? If so, I’m afraid your travel dates in September are too late for this.

2) Yes, a 3 zone ticket would work I guess. But it makes sense to look into other options if you need to get to Geneva that same day, as suggested by 1960man. The advanced SBB timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable usually presents the most economical ticket options, so you could try entering your entire journey there, e.g. Montreux to Geneva with lots of “via” stops for your day plans. Then just see the ticket options presented by the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2019 at 11:19:09 #921231

Durga,

We were there just 3 days back. If I had one day to spend I would- take a train from Montreux to Vevey. At Vevey, change to the wine train going up to Chexbres and from the station take the Lavaux toy train to see the vineyards on the slopes overlooking the lake. (10.30,14.30). It’s a 2 hour trip on toy train and it stops at a vineyard for wine tasting and costs chf15(chf 3 discount with your hotel transport card). Chk their website to ensure it’s still in late September. On you return, hike down from Chexbrex to Rivaz(15mins) and take the train to Lutry. Spend time exploring for an hour and then head back to Montreux for a walk along the promenade.

http://www.switzerlandbyrail. com/trains/scenic/lava ux_wine_train_vevey_ch exbrex.htm

Chk with the hotel where you’re staying if they’ll be providing the Lavaux transport card..with that you should have the local transportation free except for the toy train and train to Geneva. Download the sbb app for train timetables. Some of the trains are only hourly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2019 at 13:47:09 #921232

Thanks 1960man, as i have already planning to explore mountains near Lucerne and BO area, this time i will give a miss to Rochers de Naye.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2019 at 13:52:40 #921233

Thanks for the response Annika. Regarding point 1, I got to know the Farmer’s market close by end of August, is there any other markets at @Vevey open every Saturday in the year?

Regarding point 2, i will be starting from Montreux which is in between Vevey and Chateau de Chillon so via option might not work for me. I mean i need to travel from Montreux to Vevey and back track to Montreux to go to Chateau de Chillon and come back to Montreux to pick up bags to go to Geneva airport.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2019 at 14:01:38 #921234

Thanks for the tips Reenavaish, initially my plan was

Montreux – chexbres village by train and walk to Rivaz through vineyards

Rivaz – Vevey by train, Vevey to La Tour-de-Peilz via old town walk

Vevey – Montreux by bus and walk to Chateau de Chillon castle

Chateau de Chillon castle – Montreux by bus, pick up bags from Hotel

Montreux – Geneva airport by train

As we only have 8 hrs (9am – 5pm ) we need to cut short some of the above plan.

If we don’t have plans to visit castle do you think we can reduce the walk from Montreux to Chateau de Chillon castle and add chexbres village to Rivaz walk?

Annika
    7103 posts
    31 August 2019 at 5:55:13 #921235

Hi Durga!I think there should be regular markets at the Place du Marché on Saturdays in Vevey: http://www.montreuxriviera.co m/en/Z4870/marches. You could contact the local tourism office to ask for details.

As for using the SBB timetable: theoretically, you can enter an endless amount of via-stations. So even the route Montreux-Geneva Airport via Vevey-Chateau de Chillon-Montreux should work (although it currently seems to have some issues picking up this route). If you don’t succeed, then I guess your original plan of a Mobilis day ticket, and then an additional half-fare ticket for the remaining leg to Geneva Airport, will work out fine. You could also discuss your plans with the railway staff of the Montreux railway station. They’ll be able to sort out the best option for you.

• The thread ‘Plan for one day in Montreux area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.