Planned stay at Kleine Scheidegg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 18:58:53 #819471

Hi, this summer we plan a stay in Hotel Bellevue des Alpes, near the Eiger North Face (after reading The Spin). Should we travel from Lauterbrunnen or from Grindelwald? And is it possible for me to hike (the last part) while my wife goes by train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2019 at 21:44:40 #902081

Hello HvO59 and Welcome to MySwissAlps

I would think via Lauterbrunnen and a Wengen would be best. What do you mean by “the last part”?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 0:24:16 #902082

I would say the best way is via Grindelwald. That way, you see the hotel looming on top of the hill, as you climb up on the train. If you want to hike, get off at the intermediate station called Alpiglen, and walk the path which parallels the railway – although surely you could do this hike once settled in at the hotel?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    14 January 2019 at 15:41:16 #902083

You can access KS via either route, both have their distinct beauty! Depending on where you are headed next you could go up one way then down the other.

If coming from Grindelwald there is one intermediate stop at Alpiglen as 1960man suggests. You can either walk parallel the tracks or, even better, hike the Eiger Trail which takes you directly under the North Face. Eiger Trail ends at Eigergletscher stations where you can either catch the train or walk down to KS. Depending on your hiking fitness it is about a 2 – 3 hour hike.

If coming from Wengen there are two intermediate stops. The first one is at Allmend. It is not very far from Wengen and is an on-demand stop (push the Halt Verlängen button on the train). It’s then about a 2 hour hike up to KS. The next stop, which is not very far from KS, is Wengernalp. Maybe 30 – 45 mins up from there.

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    14 January 2019 at 16:34:00 #902084

Hi Hv059

Another popular option is to go by way of Wengen and get off the train and walk up hill 5 minutes and catch the cable car from Wengen to Männlichen. Then hike the very scenic trail to KS about 1.5-2 hrs. This is a fairly flat easy trail compared to the relatively longer steeper Eiger trail from Alpiglen which also is very scenic.

‘Personally I would try to do both during your stay. Depending on your fitness, you can decide which direction to hike the Eiger trail. It is much easier to do it downhill from Eigergletscher to Alpiglen.

‘The trail from KS to Wengernalp is slightly less scenic than the above hikes but also very nice. Note down hill will be from KS to Wengernalp. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 17:49:17 #902085

Hi Kim11,

thanks for your advice. That wil be my choice; drive to Grindelwald and park the car there. My wife will take the train to Kleine Scheidegg and I will hike from Alpiglen in 2 – 3 hours to Kleine Scheidegg, via the Eiger trail.Sounds perfect!

Another question; is there a place, preferably free, to park the car in or near Grindelwald?

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 January 2019 at 18:39:34 #902086

Hi HvO59,

I’m not sure how long you plan to stay, but I’d recommend to do both train routes: e.g. up via Grindelwald as planned, and down via Wengen and Lauterbrunnen (unless you’ll visit that area during your stay). If you park near the Interlaken Ost station you can easily do so.

Free parking is rare in Switzerland. I don’t know options in the area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2019 at 1:12:44 #902087

You can choose the Eiger trail or the ordinary path. The ordinary path is just as scenic and may fit in better with a companion taking the train…

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    15 January 2019 at 2:57:59 #902088

I believe the Eiger trail is significantly more scenic than the ordinary path. It is higher and more open. Attached are some photos of the Eiger Trail so you can see what it looks like. Also some photos of the Mannlichen to KS trail and finally a photo of the KS to Wengernalp trail. All are beautiful hikes, enjoy. Mark

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    16 January 2019 at 21:32:33 #902089

Yoou can park your car at Grindelwald Grund, where there is a train station to Alpiglen and Kl Scheidegg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2019 at 19:02:34 #902090

hi everybody,

thanks for your help.

enjoy your time spent in the mountains.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 January 2019 at 1:24:21 #902091

A forum member, Snowman, has stayed at Kleine Scheidegg with his family….perhaps in the Winter. If he catches this thread, he may have something to add.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    18 January 2019 at 10:11:47 #902092

Hi HvO59

Hotel Des Alpes Bellevue, where I stayed 4 years ago, is fine. It is an old-fashioned tourist mountain hotel, cosy and comfortable, that has been preserved from the excesses of modernization. You will enjoy old-style Swiss hostelry. In the halls are historic photos and other exhibits of the conquest ot the Eiger North Face.

• The thread ‘Planned stay at Kleine Scheidegg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.