Planning a 6-day Swiss trip with a toddler

• Rudra
    Participant
    3 posts
    8 February 2021 at 0:55:22 #825773

Hello forum members,

We are planning a 6 days trip to switzerland from UK on 22nd May(if COVID situation improves).We have a 3.5 year old son and our itinerary are as follows:

Day 1-Arrivak at Zurick.Zurick to Interlaken.Evenning tour to HarderKulm.Night at Interlaken

Day 2:Interlaken to Gstaad and Glacier 3000. Back to Interlaken.Night at interlaken

Day 3-Interlaken to Jungfrau via Grindewald and return via Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken.Night at interlaken

Day 4 :Interlaken to Zermatt.Tour to Gornergrat and Matterhirn glacier.Night at Zermatt.

Day 5 :Zermatt to Lucerne.Night at Lucerne.

Day 6:Day at Lucerne.Afternoon Lucern to Zurick and flight to UK.

Is it going to be hectic with 3.5 year old kid?We have already booked hotel at Interlaken,Zermatt and Lucerne.Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    8 February 2021 at 8:09:34 #934652

Hi Rudra

Welcome to the forum.

We first went to Switzerland when our children were young. In my opinion your itinerary is too full even for just adults. There is plenty to occupy you in the Jungfrau region. I suggest you stay in Interlaken for the entirety of your holiday and visit the villages and lakes in that area.

If you delay your holiday until the end of June/July there will be more activities and walks open.

Good luck with your planning.

Jane

Anna
    6351 posts
    8 February 2021 at 14:05:33 #934653

Hi Rudra,

Thank you for joining MySwissAlps.

Looking at your itinerary, it does look a little packed but certainly not impossible.

Travelling with a toddler can be stressful. But with proper planning, it could still be fun and rewarding for everyone. In fact the little ones may even find train travel to be quite an adventure.

In Switzerland you will appreciate that most trains are children-friendly. Some trains, mainly the intercity ones, have coaches with a playground usually located at the front or rear end of the train. These coaches also have plenty of space for luggage storage and pushchairs. Intercity trains with family coaches are marked as FA (family zone with playground) or FZ (family zone without playground).

For long train journeys, it’s always good to have snacks available at all times. If you plan to bring a stroller, a compact one that folds easily may be more practical.

When you have kids along for the trip, it may not be possible to do multiple activities in one day. So my advice would be to be flexible with your plans. For example, stick to sightseeing, a quick museum visit or a short walk along the lake.

You’ll find more practical tips below:

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Anna

Rudra
    Participant
    3 posts
    8 February 2021 at 16:30:32 #934654

Thanks a lot Anna and Jane for sharing useful information.I am now planning to skip Gstaad and to roam around interlaken on Day 2.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    8 February 2021 at 17:20:30 #934655

Hi Rudra

If it was me I would spend 3 nights in Interlaken and 3 in Lucerne. Half a day in Zermatt will not do it justice.

There are a lot of interesting things to do in Lucerne, boat trips, mountains to visit. We especially enjoyed the Stanserhorn and a trip on the Stoos Funicular to Fronalpstock in that area.

If you stay in an area for a few days you have more of a chance of being able to pick a good weather day to go up a mountain ie your Jungfrau trip.

Hope this helps.

Jane

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 February 2021 at 22:25:23 #934656

Hi JaneEB –

I have tried all kinds of combinations of locations ad accommodations during my 80+ trips to Switzerland, mostly from the US, but also as side trips from other European travel. The youngest child traveling with me was 8 years old, so my perspective may be a bit different from yours.

I share your perspectives for Rudra, especially when a 3 1/2 year old is in the mix.

Have as few bases as possible to gives a measure of being “at home” for the child, among other things. Leave option. That is easy with Swiss raill passes of various kinds.

http://www.myswissalps.com/travel

The towns you have chosen each have enough to fill many days, by the way.

You have picked a time which is barely into Spring in the high Alps. Early June in the high Alps is when thins open up. In May, higher altitude excursion may not be available. Luzern will be fully into Spring, and notably warmer than the Bernese Oberland.

• The thread ‘Planning a 6-day Swiss trip with a toddler’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.