Reservations needed for Swiss mountain excursions?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 16:35:37 #816490

I’m hoping for some feedback on best travel routes and how to best utilize my Swiss Travel Pass. I purchased an 8 day pass for the following itinerary in August 2018:

• Day 1: Mount PIlates excursion from Lucerne
    • Day 2: Mount Titlis excurstion from Lucerne
    • Day 3: Travel from Lucerne to Jungfraujoch excursion
    • Day 4: Travel from Interlaken to Gornergrat excursion.

What do I need to reserve now and what are the best routes/trains to take? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 18:11:14 #887568

Hi Jgreendds and welcome to MySwissAlps!

No reservations are needed for those trips (or almost all trips in Switzerland). Use the Swiss railways timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) to plan out each trip to/from the mountains. It automatically gives you the most direct route (is that what you mean by best?).

• Day 1&2 With a Swiss Travel Pass you hop on a train to Alpnachstad or Kriens depending on the route you take (free) but at Alpnachstad you need to buy a ticket for the rest of the trip up Mt. Pilatus (50% off with the Swiss Travel Pass).

This is the same for the trip to Mt. Titlis – free to Engelberg and then 50% off the ticket bought there.

• Day 3: Free to Grindelwald or Wengen and then 25% off the ticket the rest of the way to Jungfraujoch
    • Day 4: Free to Zermatt and then 50% off the ticket to Gornergrat.

See what routes and mountains are covered fully or partially with the Swiss Travel Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

• The thread ‘Reservations needed for Swiss mountain excursions?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.