Planning for Golden Pass legs – stations & timings

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 15:43:21 #817333

Based on recommendations here, I’m considering changing my itinerary to use the Golden Pass trains when possible. I’ll be starting in Baden, so I thought I might take a standard train to Luzern, then pick up the Golden Pass train to go through Interlaken to Montreux. That’s actually some doubling back, because we will have already been to Interlaken. The trip back to Baden will be to see family. If folks here recommend it, We could use the Golden Pass train for the initial trip to Interlaken as well.

I’ve been planning everything out up to now using: http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml

but I found a Golden Pass timetable at: http://www.happyrail.com/en/g olden-pass-line#golden-pass-line-timetable

What I can’t figure out is where you actually catch the Golden Pass trains (which stations, which platforms). Can someone provide some guidance?

Also, is there an app for SBB like the Amtrak app in the US where you can download all of your tickets to your phone, to avoid carrying paper tickets?

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful here.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 July 2018 at 17:49:05 #891739

Hi Joshua,

The Golden Pass line is very nice, so definitely worth it to include it in your plans somehow. How it would best fit in depends on your entire itinerary. You can indeed pick up the line in Luzern: take any train to Interlaken Ost, switch for Zweisimmen, then switch for Montreux. The entire route and a link to the timetable (plus suggestions on how to use it) can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere.

The SBB app and many others can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites. Most tourists are best off with a pass, so they either need discounted tickets or no tickets at all. Be sure to look into that before buying any tickets. You seems to be doing quite some traveling so a Swiss Travel Pass might be worth it. No tickets required in that case. It includes the entire Golden Pass line as well. You can carry the pass on your phone but it’s recommended to also have a printout with you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2018 at 22:43:00 #891740

Thanks. I’m apparently missing something very obvious. I see the departure and arrival times, but I don’t see anything that says, “The train leaves from this platform at this station, and arrives at this platform at this station.”

Can you point me to the right spot?

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 4:13:06 #891741

Hello CJoshuaV,

You can find all the details here which includes reservations, timetables etc.

http://www.goldenpassline.ch/ en/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 5:28:26 #891742

Hello Mr Joshua,

Once the train timings show up with the number of changes on the sbb.ch website,click on each column,ex-Bern To Luzern,click on Bern,then you will have drop down showing when it leaves the station and arrival time at next station,platform change and arrival time at next station etc.

Hope I understood your question and replied.

Have a happy trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 5:38:47 #891743

Hi CJoshuaV,

See the screenshot attached below from the SBB timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable)

You can see arriving and departing platforms.

You can find the same details on the SBB app as well if using that.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 6:16:14 #891744

Mr Lucas,i read on this site that we can a do a part of the journey on golden pass route.We wanted to do from Interlaken OST to Lucern. When i looked at the timetable on sbb.ch ,it was not showing particularly as golden pass.How am I sure that I am not reserving for an intercity express which is 1 hr 51min. Is there a logo for golden pass panoramic train,which i could identify?

I even tried on the goldenpass.ch site,but I didnt see reservation,but the timetable!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 6:23:01 #891745

The train between Interlaken Ost and Luzern is called the Interlaken – Luzern Express on the timetable.

It is the only train running direct between both towns so you won’t be on the wrong train. No reservations are needed on that section.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 6:36:48 #891746

Thanks again.

We would like to do that trip on Golden pass route,but how do i do seat reservations for it?Or is the Interlaken-Luzern express the same train Golden Pass for that segment?Confusing!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 8:30:05 #891748

Thanks Sanshetty,yes it works and I have reserved too!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 8:48:44 #891749

Manjula,

Please note that this is reservation only. You will have to buy tickets separately on the SBB website (select the same time and train number for the golden pass). Also, choose your relevant travel pass that you have while buying tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 9:42:54 #891750

Yes,we have already bought 8 days swiss travel pass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 11:24:47 #891751

Then you are all set Manjula, have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 15:15:19 #891752

Many thanks Mr Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 15:35:36 #891753

Thank you everyone for your help. I was expecting the SBB site to label the Golden Pass trains differently. I was also confused that it didn’t list the Golden Pass route as an option when I requested routes from Luzern to Zweisimmen. I appreciate everyone’s patience in helping me understand the process.

In case other confused Americans find this thread in the future, here are the steps that worked for me.

1. Go to tickets.goldenpass.ch/ reservation/ and put in your date of travel and desired start/end points.

2. You will see multiple legs displayed. For example, for my trip from Luzern to Montreux, the necessary legs were:

– Luzern -> Interlaken Ost (Train 2914)

– Interlaken Ost -> Zweisimmen (Train 4065)

– Zweisimmen -> Montreux (Train 2115)

3. Note the times and train numbers for your legs. Leave this tab open. You’ll be coming back here.

4. Go to http://www.sbb.ch/en/timetabl e.html

5. This part was a little tricky. To get the Golden Pass route to show up, I had to put in that I wanted to go from Luzern to Montreux via Zweisimmen. I put the departure as the start time for the first leg, based on what I had seen on the Golden Pass site.

6. Check the train numbers for each leg of the trip, and confirm they match the train numbers on the Golden Pass site.

7. Purchase the tickets. (Before doing so, make sure that the SBB website hasn’t reset or shifted the date. It kept moving my date back one day, regardless of browser. Be sure to use your Half Pass if you have one.)

8. Return to the Golden Pass reservation page, and reserve your seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2018 at 17:59:24 #891754

Thanks for the tips Joshua!

Do note that you can take any train traveling direct from Luzern to Interlaken Ost (all trains are the same here, just choose the departure time you want).

Then take any train between Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen and finally any train between Zweisimmen and Montreux (although on this section, panoramic trains are also available and noted as MOB Panoramic on the SBB timetable).

We note how to search the timetable for the correct routing here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/getti ngthere (under the heading timetable)

What I think is confusing for most people is they think the Golden Pass is a train, when it is simply a route (with 3 sections).

Reservations are not necessary on any section but we do recommend making them between Zweisimmen and Montreux in the summer season.

Glad you’ve got it all sorted out. Happy Travels!

• The thread ‘Planning for Golden Pass legs – stations & timings’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.