Jungfrau / Lucerne mountain access in March?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 13:30:59 #814501

Hi All,

We will be leaving for Swiz coming Friday and doing some last minute adjustments to our itinerary. A few questions:

• Is Grindelwald First closed during March?
    • Will it be possible for us to do 2 hikes in a day? – Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg and Grütschalp to Mürren.
    • Lucerne: Possible to visit Mount Pilatus and Titlis on the same day? If we are limited by time, Mount Pilatus vs Mount Rigi vs Titlis – which should we go for? Also would like to check the time required for each visit.

Apologises if my queries are too layman, thanks for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2018 at 15:04:44 #877161

Hi Faith1234,

See the page here for Grindelwald, First details, but best use the timetable to see if it’s open, as that page only seems to talk about the summer season. I checked for March and it’s fine.

The Grütschalp to Mürren hike & the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike are fairly short and could both be done in a day yes (keep travel time between those hikes in mind though). You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips.

Also, yes you can do both mountains in one day if you want to – use the timetable to plan those trips as well. Most people spend about 2 hours at the top of the mountain (average). If it were me, I think I would do Titlis and Rigi, but you won’t be disappointed with any of them. I think Pilatus is probably the most popular…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 3:39:47 #877162

Thanks Lucas!

Happy to hear First will be open. Read somewhere it says it will be closed or was it the gondola? But glad to hear it’s open and we can still visit. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 6:22:33 #877163

You can always check the timetable link for any gondola to ensure it is operating on the day you want. If you aren’t sure of the gondola names (stations) I always use Google Maps to find them and then input that in the timetable.

It is a funny marketing schedule. Essentially they advertise Winter operating hours December to April and then Summer from April to November (small maintenance break in November typically). So in the end it operates from December to early November but they don’t just come out and say that. haha

stodgytj
    Participant
    52 posts
    1 March 2018 at 21:28:05 #877164

I’m not sure the cable car / gondola will be running to Mannlichen. Strongly suggest you check availability.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 7:26:53 #877165

Grindelwald and/or Wengen to Männlichen is operating until April 2. 🙂

https://www.maennliche n.ch/en/winter-timetable.html

stodgytj
    Participant
    52 posts
    2 March 2018 at 18:26:06 #877166

Thanks. Do you know yet when it will reopen? Sometime in May? We’ll be in Interlaken until May 19th.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 March 2018 at 1:34:55 #877167

You are out of luck I’m afraid. 😢

See http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gondolarail-access-to-mountains-in-aprilmay-2018

• The thread ‘Jungfrau / Lucerne mountain access in March?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.