Planning of Gotthard & Glacier Express day trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2018 at 9:48:31 #815648

My husband and I are arriving at Zurich Airport on May 15 at around 7 am. We have a hotel booking at Interlaken for 4 nights, followed by 5 nights at Torgon and 2 nights at Geneva. We have already bought the STPs and would now like to reserve the seats on the Scenic trains. We wish to do the Gotthard and Glacier express in a round trip either on the day we arrive or during our stay in Interlaken. What would be the best way? Would it be possible to send our luggage to Interlaken from Zurich while we do our GPEX/GEX trip on May 15? While Interlaken is a convenient starting point for the Jungfraujoch trip Lucerne seems to be more convenient for the others. Please suggest how we can go about planning our trip.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 May 2018 at 10:05:18 #883783

Hello Neha and welcome to MySwissAlps,

By combining the GPEX/GEX do you mean Zurich to Andermatt then Andermatt to Brig or Zermatt? That is a long way round to get to Interlaken. Have you checked the timing of trains using the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) to plan your travel? If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at bit.ly/2IwxrEV.

Neither Interlaken or Torgon or Geneva are good bases for the Glacier Express I would say. And just quietly the Glacier Express between Andermatt and Brig is not much to write home about in my opinion. You certainly won’t see any glaciers.

Where are you flying from? I wouldn’t attempt Zurich to Interlaken via Andermatt after a long overseas flight. But then I’m old. 🤓

Torgon is an interesting choice. It doesn’t crop up all that often on this forum. Have a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/around-torgonsuggest-must-see-places-to-be-seen and search the forum for other references.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 6:54:50 #883784

We are flying from Mumbai, India to Zurich (duration 8h and 50 min). I tried looking up the basic train time table, studied the route and also read the forum threads and realized that Interlaken is not a good base for the GPEX and GEX . However we are keen to do at least one or two sections of the GPEX and/or GEX hence i decided to join the forum and seek advice. We are in our mid fifties and think we can manage a part of the scenic route ride before checking in at Interlaken in the evening…..provided our luggage can be sent ahead of us to Interlaken station ( i read about the availability of this facility somewhere). If this is not practical can we do it on one of the subsequent days while stationed at Interlaken?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 7:39:29 #883785

Hi NEHA,

You could do a part of the Glacier Express from Interlaken. Read more about the route on this webpage: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress.

It’s also possible to combine the Glacier Express and the Gotthard Panorama Express routes from Interlaken. Scroll down on this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ gettingthere. The route could look like this: Interlaken – Lucerne – Göschenen – Andermatt – Brig – Interlaken. A long day and you will have to take regular trains as well as it’s not possible two combine the two panorama trains. Use the timetable to plan your trip.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 May 2018 at 7:47:32 #883786

You can send your luggage from Zurich Airport for collection when you get there. If you want to pick it up same day you would need to use the Express Service. The link which lists Express Service stations on the SBB website is curretnly broken but try starting here http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/lugg age.html.

You can go via Chur with only 3 changes. It will take you almost 7 hours.

If you go via the GPEX route it will be shorter in time but you will end up with 5 or 6 train changes.

Chur to Andermatt is the best part of the GEX anyway (seeing you aren’t going to St Moritz).

Note that the connection time at Chur to catch the GEX is 4 minutes which I certainly wouldn’t risk. So to make it more relaxing I would build in a bit of a break at Chur. You should make the 11:26 GEX from Chur comfortably and get there and have a relaxed wander around.

That’s assuming you can get reservations on the GEX at this relatively late stage.

Once you reach Interlaken attempting the GEX from there becomes even more problematic (but see information Chantal provided) so if you are going to do it, do it from Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 8:00:42 #883787

To be specific would it be practical to do the section 1 and Section 2 of the GPEX from Lucerne to Fluelen (by boat) and Fluelen to Goschenen (by train) and then proceed to Interlaken? ….. provided our luggage can be sent ahead of us to Interlaken station. I have found that a Flight Luggage service is available from Zurich airport to multiple train stations but have not been able to get the exact details and booking options.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 8:17:29 #883788

If you would like to do it upon arrival in Zurich, then this could be an option. Don’t forget to reserve your seats for the Gotthard Panorama Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress/ tickets.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 May 2018 at 11:00:39 #883789

You can probably go by train Zurich to Lucerne, catch a steamer to Flüelen, regular train via Göschenen to Andermatt and connect with the GEX.

The timing won’t work if you try to connect the actual GPEX with the GEX. The actual GPEX does not reach Göschenen until 14:41. You just missed the last GEX.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 12:16:31 #883790

Chur to Andermatt is the best part of the GEX anyway (seeing you aren’t going to St Moritz).

Note that the connection time at Chur to catch the GEX is 4 minutes which I certainly wouldn’t risk. So to make it more relaxing I would build in a bit of a break at Chur. You should make the 11:26 GEX from Chur comfortably and get there and have a relaxed wander around.

Responding to the above suggestion- the GEX timings from Chur to Andermatt are as below-

09:26 AM CHUR———–11:52 AM ANDERMATT – I think we should be able to get this one if we leave Zurich Airport by the 7.12 or 7.37 train. The next GEX from Chur as I see is at 12:26 PM and not at 11.26 as indicated by you. Further the travel from Andermatt to Interlaken is minimum 2 change of trains and between 3 -4 hours of travel which would be manageable if we leave Andermatt by 2 or 3 pm. Am i right about the timings and the route?

I have yet to explore the GPEX route option which i will very soon.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 13:27:25 #883791

Hi NEHA,

There’s one at 11:26 and also at 12:26. And further to Interlaken you will have to change trains twice as you said and the trip takes about 3 – 4 hours indeed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 18:23:23 #883792

We are planning a change in our itinerary so as to be able to do at least a part of the GEX or GPEX in a leisurely manner. After arriving in Zurich on the morning of May 15, we will stay for 1 night in Lucerne or elsewhere as would be advised. We will postpone our stay in Interlaken by a day and reach there by the evening of May 16. What would be the best route to travel in the available time and which place do you suggest we stay?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 18:40:11 #883793

Hi NEHA,

Route for what? In an earlier post I’ve given you the links to GEX and GPEX which are still relevant. You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 12:12:01 #883794

Now, this is what we have planned. After arriving at Zurich on May 15, we will go to Luzern and do GPEX Boat and part of the train section/s and return to Luzern for the night stay. On May 16, we will do the Andermatt to Chur section of the GEX either by GEX or by the regular train. I tried booking the seats for the GEX from Andermatt to Chur but i could only find the Zermatt to Chur reservations for CH 57/person. How can i book the seat for Andermatt to Chur?

From Chur we will go to Interlaken by the regular train for the night halt. We would like to reach Interlaken by 6 pm and relax a bit as we have booked for the Jungfraujoch on the morning of May 17. How can we make that possible?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 15:39:16 #883795

Hi Neha,

Usually we would recommened making reservations for the Glacier Express here.

But they don’t offer them from Andermatt – so try the Glacier Express web shop here.

To get to Interlaken by 18:00 you’ll need to catch at the latest the 14:39 train from Chur…meaning you need to catch the 10:54 Glacier Express from Chur on May 16.

You can find schedules and make trip plans on the Swiss railways timetable here.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 20:39:15 #883796

Hello Neha,

On the 16th you will have a nearly 9 hour trip with 6 train changes. See options attached.

The 9:18 departure has quicker connections but that means the 11:54 GEX which has very few seats left.

If you depart 9:18 and go via Brig and Kandersteg it will take just over 7 hours with 5 changes. If you include via Kandersteg then between Spiez and Brig you will travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. The 1-hour faster route via Visp takes you through the fairly lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel with rather limited views.

If you go on the steamer on 15th you ought to just go to Flüelen then train back to Luzern from there. You will cover part of the GPEX route beyond Flüelen on your way to Andermatt. No point doubling up.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 11:43:11 #883797

Thanks for your prompt response and all the valuable advice. It made the planning very easy. We have booked tickets for the GPEX from Fluelen to Lugano on the evening of May 6, 2018 and my booking page shows the booking. However i have not yet received the email of confirmation which was expected to be sent within 24 hours. I have sent a reminder on May 8, evening but haven’t received any response till now. What can be done? Can i take a print out of the screen shot of my booking page?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 15:09:05 #883798

Hi Neha,

Who did you end up booking with? This is just the reservation correct? You have the Swiss Travel Pass. What information is shown on the booking page?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 0:36:57 #883799

>> However i have not yet received the email of confirmation which was expected to be sent within 24 hours. I have sent a reminder on May 8, evening but haven’t received any response till now.

Have you checked your spam folder?

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 May 2018 at 0:40:55 #883800

Wow. I didn’t even know you were going to Lugano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 7:12:11 #883801

Yes, i have checked the Spam folder and haven’t found it there. I have booked the seats through Happy Rail. This is what my booking page shows-

Rail pass

Tue, 15 May 2018

Passholder Fares – Gotthard Panorama Express – Flüelen | 14.10

14.10-16.38 | Flüelen-Lugano. – 1st

Neha Paranjape

Reference: KGH2EA

CHF29

6 HappyMiles.

By postal service

Rail passes are sent by e-mail within 1 working day (Eurail and Flex passes are delivered by post)

Rail passTue, 15 May 2018

Passholder Fares – Gotthard Panorama Express – Flüelen | 14.10

14.10-16.38 | Flüelen-Lugano. – 1st

Prasanna Paranjape

Reference: NUGJGC

CHF29

6 HappyMiles.

By postal service

Rail passes are sent by e-mail within 1 working day (Eurail and Flex passes are delivered by post)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 7:17:06 #883802

Yes Rockoyster, after all the investigation we decided to take it a bit easy by by opting for the GPEX (on Day 1) and drop the idea of doing the GEX as we feel it involves a lot of changes and a long day too. We will move on to Interlaken on Day 2 via the Golden Pass route.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Planning of Gotthard & Glacier Express day trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.