Trip planning help – Switzerland in early October

• bubbybains
    Participant
    21 posts
    24 January 2018 at 4:22:16 #814127

Hi there I am planning my first trip to Switzerland with my wife in early October. we both are nature lover, want to see beautiful green sceneries,lakes and snowy mountains and like quiet small villages to walk. we would like to spend one week in switzerland before heading to Germany. will the swiss travel pass will work for us.

and as a low season in october can i book the hotels before everynight i want to stay or its better to book in advance.

i had lots of seach about our trip and i finally came to this itinerary can you check it and correct me if i can do better than that or can add other places on it

Day 1 arriving in zurich and stay there for 1 night

Day 2- transfer to Lucerne city tour chapel bridge , lake lucerne

day 3- Mt rigi/ titlis/ pilatus can you suggest me to choose between them

day 4 transfer to interlaken lake brienz, spiez and lake Thun, overnight in interlaken

day 5 interlaken to Saanen, gstaad ,golden route train to montreux to enjoy beautiful scenery and stay at interlaken

day 6- early train to jungfrau, stop at Grindelwald for some time, after visiting jungfrau, night stay at wengen

Day 7 walking in wengen, murren and lauterbrunnen and capture. beautiful sceneies

Day 8- back to zurich to catch train for Germany

Thats my rough itinerary. can you please advise me what else can i do in these 7 days.

in this itinerary iam planning to stay 1 night at zurich, 2 at Lucerne, 2 at Interlaken and 2 at wengen

Thanks in advance.

bubby bains

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 4:51:27 #874969

Hi bubby and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Before attempting to answer all your questions can you tell us what time you arrive in Zurich. Are you arriving by air? If you arrive at a reasonable time it is probably best to go direct to Lucerne. It is only 1 hour from Zurich Airport.

Where are you heading for in Germany when you leave.

In the meantime you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

ps I wouldn’t split bases between Wengen and Interlaken. Wengen is beautiful and within easy reach of Interlaken.

bubbybains
    Participant
    21 posts
    24 January 2018 at 5:03:14 #874970

Thanks for your reply

yes i am arriving by air to zurich but have not booked the air tickets yet if i will arrive early in the day then will go straight to lucerne for 1st night.

and i will return to Munich,Germany by train.

My travelling dates will be 8th october to 15th october

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 5:32:05 #874971

Thanks, Bubby. The reason I asked was that if you were going to somewhere like Frankfurt you maybe could have put Montreux at the end of your trip and left fro Germany from there. As it is Zurich is clearly your best departure point.

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) would probably work for you but you need to do the sums to be sure. See link in my previous post. Be sure to check the validity tab and look at the map. As well as the Swiss Travel Pass there are many reigonal passes (http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasses) which can work depending on where you are based and how much travel you plan.

Each of the mountain excursions offers different experiences. I particularly enjoyed the Golden Round Trip to Pilatus (boat to Alpnachstad, cog wheel railway to Pilatus and cablecar/gondola back to Kriens and Lucerne).

You can find more details of all the places you have in mind using the search facility at the top right of this page.

bubbybains
    Participant
    21 posts
    24 January 2018 at 5:54:59 #874972

Thanks Rockoyster for advice i am wandering is there any direct train to Munich from any other city near interlaken area or i must have to go through by zurich ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 6:01:02 #874973

Pretty sure they would all go via Zurich. You can check using the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions on that page before delving into the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 7:26:17 #874974

Munich is in an awkward area to get to from Zurich (darn Bodensee!)

You’ll find only 1 or 2 direct trains from Zurich per day often…sometimes you’ll have several connections.
    If you can’t make the direct train from Zurich (and are not in Zurich already) try looking for trips from Basel as well – they are similar in time (only a bit longer).

bubbybains
    Participant
    21 posts
    24 January 2018 at 7:32:53 #874975

Thanks Lucas for reply

Can you please have a look at other questions on my first post and help me plan my itinerary

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 8:46:53 #874976

I’d be tempted to stay a night in Montreux to make the day more relaxing and enjoy the town, Lake Geneva and perhaps visit the nearby cheese factory in Gruyeres and/or the chocolate factory or the Rochers de Naye looks nice.

Depending on flight times: Lucerne 2 nights, Montreux 1 night, Wengen 3 nights & Zurich 1 night at the beginning or end of your trip.

Choosing between the mountains around Lucerne (Titlis, Pilatus or Rigi) is quite hard and down to personal preference – 2 days in Lucerne can allow you to do two of them.

bubbybains
    Participant
    21 posts
    24 January 2018 at 10:17:28 #874977

Thanks very much Lucas

just one more question in 2nd week of october can i get accomodation at the same time when i pop in to hotel or i need to book in advance?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 14:16:16 #874978

Oh you should be just fine in October not booking in advance here. I always do as I like to know where I’m staying that night but to each their own!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 21:46:26 #874979

Stanserhorn (http://www.myswissalps.com/st anserhorn) is another mountain option near Lucerne. It is free with Swiss Travel Pass.

bubbybains
    Participant
    21 posts
    24 January 2018 at 22:56:22 #874980

Thanks Rockoyster. now i have plenty of options for mountains to choose between.

can you please help me with overnight stay to choose as i would like to spend 3-4 nights in berner overland region. what would be the best option from wengen, interlaken, grindelwald or latuerbrunnen as we are young couple like to enjoy green sceneries

Thanks

Bubby

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 23:08:37 #874981

Hi Bubby,

My favourite is Wengen. Lots of detail about it here http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Also you asked earlier if it was possible to get from Interlaken to Munich without going via Zurich. You could go to Basel and do a big circuit around Germany as Lucas mentioned. Or you could take the Luzern to Interlaken Express to Lucerne. From there you can take Voralpen Express (VAE) via Rapperswil to St Gallen. The direct Eurocity Train, Zurich to Munich, stops at St Gallen so you could board there. You’d need to use the SBB Timetable to figure out the best connections.

The fastest way from Zurich to Munich (by about 10 minutes) is actually a bus.

bubbybains
    Participant
    21 posts
    25 January 2018 at 3:27:57 #874982

Thanks very much. i will plan according to advise i received. Much appreciated

• The thread ‘Trip planning help – Switzerland in early October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.