Trip to Lucerne, Interlaken & Zermatt in September

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2018 at 1:58:39 #814117

I am planning for my trip to Switzerland with husband for September 2018. I would like the community’s advice in whether my itinerary is ok and covered under Swiss Pass.

Day 1 : Arr Zurich and straight to Lucerne, overnight in Lucerne

Day 2 : Mt Titlis & Old Town, Boat ride Lake Lucerne, overnight in Lucerne

Day 3: Move to Interlaken, visit Lauterbrunnen (Trummelbach Falls), Grindelward (Glacier Gorge), overnight in Interlaken

Day 4: Day trip to Zermatt, visit Matterhorn, Gornegrat, overnight in Interlaken

Day 5: Move to Zurich, visit Rheine Falls

Day 6 : Back home

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 January 2018 at 9:43:25 #874922

Hello noni and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Day 4 is going to be long. I would consider overnighting in Zermatt and going direct from there to Zurich. If you miss Rheinfalls it will be no great loss.

If you go to Zermatt make sure that at least in one direction between Spiez and Zermatt you go via Kandersteg. You will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving you a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley.

Titlis from Engelberg and Gornergrat from Zermatt give you 50% discount if using the Swiss Travel Pass.

For a real Swiss experience return to Zurich from Zermatt via the iconic Glacier Express to Chur.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 1:03:01 #874923

Hi Rockoyster

Thank you for the suggestion. Would consider overnight in Zermatt but not too keen in having too many base, hence the overnights only in Lucerne and Interlaken. On that note, I also read through the forum that Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen or Wengen is more preferable than Interlaken. Any thoughts?

On another note, how many days Swiss Pass do you suggest I purchase? My initial thought would be a 4 days Swiss Pass.

Thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 1:21:22 #874924

Wengen is my pick but it makes for a longer round trip to Zermatt.

A 4 day Swiss Travel Pass should work well. You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 6:04:07 #874925

I am also looking at day trip around Jungfrau region for my day 3. Looks like my options would be either train Lauterbrunnen – Murren – Schilthorn or train to Wengen – Mannlichen – Grindelwald. As I possible may only have mid-morn till end of day, which route would you recommend and what sights I should not miss?

Thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 January 2018 at 6:52:00 #874926

If you are at Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls which is well worth a visit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2018 at 8:38:27 #874927

Hi noni1112,

Be sure you check the validity map of the Swiss Travel Pass and note the list of attractions that are covered fully or only partially by the Swiss Travel Pass.

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here. You can have to emailed to you to print at home for convenience (and you have en electronic backup).

• The thread ‘Trip to Lucerne, Interlaken & Zermatt in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.