Platform Changes at Zurich Train Station

• Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    18 August 2019 at 20:16:36 #823459

Is there any difficulty involved in changing from one platform to another at the Zurich HB when the platforms are located on different levels? Can one encounter delays when handling their luggage during these changes?

Example: Platform 33 to Platform 18, and approximately 7 minutes between trains

Is there a diagram of the Zurich train station that shows the different levels and the ways to get from one level to another?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 August 2019 at 22:10:25 #920374

Zurich is a large busy (especially at peak hours) station.

You will find a map of the station at http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /infrastruktur/trafima ge/bahnhofplaene/plan-zuerich-hb-a4.pdf.sbbdownload.pdf.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 0:36:43 #920375

HinAre2 –

You can make 7 minutes, but, as you note, it is wise to reconnoiter ahead of time.

The signage is excellent.

33 is down under. 18 is the furthest on the right on the main level.

How much luggage do/will you have?

Finally, from Zürich, trains are frequent, often twice per hour. So, if you miss one wait for the next one.

The SBB gives maps for most stations that need them. Here is Zürich main station:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/shopville-zuerich-main-station.html

Scroll down.

Slowpoke

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    19 August 2019 at 2:33:09 #920376

Thank You rockoyster!

Thank You Slowpoke!

How much luggage do/will you have?

Each of us will have a 60cm suitcase and a 53cm carry-on. The bags can be attached and move as one unit, so I think they should be able to easily roll through the stations.

We have traveled with this baggage set up before, but primarily through airports, not so much in large (or smaller) train stations.

As far as waiting for the next available train should we miss a connection. We’ll be traveling from Interlaken West to Singen, Germany on a Saturday morning. Our plan is to depart Interlaken by 07:00 with an arrival in Zurich at 09:28. The next connection to Singen is at 09:37 with an arrival at 10:30. If we’re unable to make the 09:37 connection, the next train is at 10:37 with an arrival at 11:30. We’ll have just a little lee way to to make sure we arrive in time to collect our rental car before the Europcar office closes at 12:00pm. No issues as long as we make our connections in time.

I suppose our other option would be to leave leave Interlaken a half an hour earlier at 06:30 to allow time for the possibility of missed connections.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 3:34:26 #920377

How about the attached connection offered by DB?

SBB of course should offer the same connections.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 6:37:58 #920378

<<“I suppose our other option would be to leave leave Interlaken a half an

hour earlier at 06:30 to allow time for the possibility of missed

connections.”>>

I’d certainly do that if I were making the trip. No doubt about it, for me. One reason is that , once you get to international trains, seat reservations are almost always required…for a particular individual train. I was thinking intra-Swiss.

If it happened to be a weekday, there is a potential for a 1 or 2 minute delay, because that would be at the tail end of the rush hour, and there might be an issue at Bern because you would be in the rush hour. On a Saturday, the probability of an delay is essentially zero. That helps. But, I’d still take the earlier train.

<<“Each of us will have a 60cm suitcase and a 53cm carry-on. The bags can

be attached and move as one unit, so I think they should be able to

easily roll through the stations.”>>

That helps a lot with connection at Zürich. It sounds like that setup will work on escalators (moving stairs)? There will be at least two of them coming up from 33-34. There are elevators, but they add a small delay finding them.

There are a lot of overhead signs, but familiarity with the general layout will help you.

I have been on 33-34 and 31-32, but I can’t remember where the escalators are on the platform. So, I looked on the downloadable A4 size *.PDF map on the SBB website, on this page, or the link from Rockoyster..

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/shopville-zuerich-main-station.html

The map is not simple to understand, and familiarity with the station helps me interpret it.

What is shows is that the main escalators from tracks 31 to 34 lead up to the “Passage Sihlquai,” which is couple of hundred meters from the main station hall. That passage, and the others noted below are still one level below the main floor of the station, the level of tracks 3 to 18 and the city streets. But, you do not have to walk all the way to the railheads for tracks 3-18, at the main station hall.

What saves you (and makes those short connections possible) is that there are escalators up from the Passage Sihlquai and (and Passage Gessnerallee) which go up to each of the individual for platforms for tracks 3-18. Passage Sihlquai and Passage Gessnerallee run perpendicular to the tracks, and allow you to cross from one platform to another without having to walk all the way to the rail heads for tracks 3-18. You can use them to cross from track to track for all trains on tracks 3-18.

Some escalators toward one end of the platforms 31-34 also lead up to a passageways under the main station area (near Passage Gessnerallee , and also near Passage Löwenstrasse which is directly beneath the railheads). The map is not clear for me on how close they come up to the next sets of escalators up to the main level.

I don’t know from which direction your train would enter the station, so I’d try to sit in a car that is near the center of the train, and be at the door ready to get off the train when it stops. Take the nearest eacalator up to the next level, which will be one level below the main tracks 3-18. You will most likely have steps on the train. The S-bahn trains open level with the platforms, but I don’t believe that the IC and IR trains do that. Check as you get on.

Hope that helps.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 7:27:20 #920379

Hi Are2,

Zurich is for sure one of the trickiest train stations to find your way around, as it’s by far the largest.

However, there are easy ways connecting track 33 with track 18, allowing you to change trains easily in 7 minutes. They are connected underground with mechanical stairs to change levels.

The plan provided by Slowpoke will for sure be helpful, and also always feel free to ask somebody for assistance and directions.

Best,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 7:50:02 #920380

Hi Are,

No need to dash around like a scalded chook. If you get the 7:05 from Interlaken West to Bern and change there you will get to Zurich at 8:58. Enough time to get a coffee and catch the IC4 380 to Singen departing 9:37 and arriving 10:30. 😎

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 7:50:41 #920381

Hi Steph –

<<“However, there are easy ways connecting track 33 with track 18, allowing

you to change trains easily in 7 minutes. They are connected

underground with mechanical stairs to change levels.”>>

That is completely true for someone experienced in the station. In fact, it is absolutely true. However, for a newcomer, it is a sometimes hard to figure out, even with the good signage. I’ve been using that station since 1980, and the additions and improvements still let me get lost, sometimes.

In Are’s case, personally, I’d still catch the train in IO 30 minutes earlier, if i were doing it.

Ooops-

I should have looked at timetable. ;-(

I just did.

Rockoyster to the rescue! the 7:05 from their preferred station, Interlaken West, it is!

( or 0700 from Interlaken Ost…..same train.)

The 10 minute connection at Bern is no problem.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2019 at 8:13:02 #920382

Hi Slowpoke,

For sure, I agree, that’s why I recommended asking somebody for guidance, there are definitely enough people around to ask!

But yes, to be on the entirely safe (and also relaxed) side, taking an earlier connection does make sense.

Best,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 10:00:57 #920383

Ooops-

I should have looked at timetable. ;-(

Thank goodness. I thought I was losing my marbles. But at least I now know, thanks to this thread, more about the inner workings of Zurich HB. Not that I ever plan to spend much time there.

ps Slowpoke I am pleased to see you have finally embraced a tablet. Bet it’s Windows. 🤓

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 12:42:55 #920384

<<“For sure, I agree, that’s why I recommended asking somebody for guidance, there are definitely enough people around to ask!”>>

And, in Zürich, they often speak English. All SBB staff must speak English, but it is not required for the average passerby in the train station. Quite an international crowd.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 12:45:04 #920385

<<“ps Slowpoke I am pleased to see you have finally embraced a tablet. Bet it’s Windows. 🤓”>>

I asked if Apple made one that did not get fingerprints on the screen. Thus, Windows. Do you use Linux?

And, by the way, is a chook some kind of Tasmanian species? We don’t seem to have them in this batch of the colonies.

Slowpoke

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    19 August 2019 at 13:57:50 #920386

Thanks Slowpoke, your explanation of the station map certainly helps. The PDF download I get is not the clearest and I was not sure how to interpret what I was looking at.

Your description helps and the more I study the map, the more it makes sense. We will simply have to find the nearest escalators, or ask for directions if necessary.

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    19 August 2019 at 14:24:56 #920387

Oops! “I” should have looked at the time table as well! At least in a bit more detail.

I built our original journey directly from Interlaken West to Singen via Zurich on the SBB and our original choice seemed to offer the shortest travel time with the fewest changes.

As you point out, rockoyster, If we segment our trip from Interlaken to Zurich via Bern, we arrive in Zurich with more than enough time to make an 09:37 connection to Singen. Thank You!

Also, I was not aware I could plan the same journey using the DB web site. Very useful information!

Since we’re traveling on a Saturday morning, should we expect “high occupancy” for 2nd class? Should we consider reserving seats?

Which leads me to another question, but perhaps I should post it on another thread, please advise.

It involves the BO Regional Passes we will be using. Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 17:03:35 #920388

<<“We will simply have to find the nearest escalators, or ask for directions if necessary.”>>

There is an abundance of overhead signs.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 17:18:41 #920389

<<“Since we’re traveling on a Saturday morning, should we expect “high

occupancy” for 2nd class? Should we consider reserving seats?”>>

No need to reserve in Switzerland. If you want to be first on board, get on at IO. That is where the train begins the journey, and which is where the standard gauge line picks up from the narrow gauge lines. So, other lines feed the mainline at IO.

The timetable will usually show a symbol for the expected occupancy, especially on intercity trains. Click on the timeline, and you’ll see much more detail. Do it for your journey and for a couple of other Saturdays to get a sense of the situation.

By the way, the SBB timetable defaults to the fastest route. To go another way, you must enter “via” stations. It works for journeys to/from anywhere in Europe.

Deutsche Bahn is a superior option for planning trips throughout not only the major countries, but also the minor ones in Europe. I use it routinely for Italy. 😉

The instructions here are more than merely suggestions; they are essential concepts for using the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 August 2019 at 20:44:43 #920390

“Chook” is the local term for the humble chicken. See theculturetrip.com/pac ific/australia/article s/18-australian-sayings-that-make-no-sense-to-other-english-speakers/ for more.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 August 2019 at 23:53:06 #920391

Are you aware of the Swiss tongue-twister , also used to clear your throat:

“das Mischterkräckerli” ?

Although somewhat less general for all kinds of chickens, it beats “chook” all hollow.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2019 at 9:02:59 #920392

Hi Slowpoke,

Sorry to interfere..

I believe you are referring to the “MischtCHraZZerli”, with a really rough CH (typically Swiss) and a sharp Z at the end…

..whereas Swiss German has so many dialects, what am I doing here correcting a language without proper spelling nor grammar..?! 😉

Exgüsi! -> SORRY!

Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 August 2019 at 10:58:22 #920393

You shouldn’t encourage him Steph. You know what he’s like.

We have an expression in Oz which refers to a headless chook.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Platform Changes at Zurich Train Station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.