Please advise 4 days in Luzern plus Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 23:02:02 #811741

Hi,

We are family of 3 adults (21, 46 and 73) planning visit Swiss. We are very interested in the Golden Pass but not quite sure how it works. We plan to arrive to Lucerne on June 18 and would like to visit Montreux. Have to return to Paris on a train Montreux-Paris on June 22.

1-I would like to know which is the best route to visit?

2-I would like to know which train pass is better to buy?

3-Do you have any ideas for planning the visit from June 18 to June 21 (4 days): where to go, where to stay?

Regards

Paola Brollo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 8:56:03 #863026

Hi Paola, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> We are family of 3 adults (21, 46 and 73) planning visit Swiss. We are very interested in the Golden Pass but not quite sure how it works.

The Golden Pass route runs from Luzern to Interlaken Ost past some beautiful lakes and over the Brünig Pass, and then on to Montreux via Zweisimmen. There are several changes of train along the way. You can travel the whole route, or just parts of it. The sector between Zweisimmen and Montreux has panoramic coaches. No reservations are needed, but the trains can get busy, so reservations are probably a good idea, at least between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

More information here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

>> We plan to arrive to Lucerne on June 18 and would like to visit Montreux. Have to return to Paris on a train Montreux-Paris on June 22.

1-I would like to know which is the best route to visit?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by your first question – could you provide a little more information? 🙂

2-I would like to know which train pass is better to buy?

If you are in Switzerland for 4 days and will be out and about using public transport every day (trains, buses, boats and cable cars), a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass would probably suit you.

3-Do you have any ideas for planning the visit from June 18 to June 21 (4 days): where to go, where to stay?

If you are traveling Montreux-Paris on June 22, it is probably a good idea to spend the night of 21 June in Montreux. The rest of the time you could stay in Luzern, where there is plenty to do and see.

Ideas of what to see while staying in Luzern are here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

For accommodation, I would recommend somewhere close to the railway station in both Luzern and Montreux. Accommodation information can be found here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ho tels

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2017 at 6:45:36 #863027

>>The sector between Zweisimmen and Montreux has panoramic coaches. No reservations are needed, but the trains can get busy, so reservations are probably a good idea, at least between Zweisimmen and Montreux.>>

If we decide to go without reservation and if there is no seat left.. then? Will i have to stand and travel the entire journey or they wont allow me to board the train?

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 May 2017 at 11:46:04 #863028

Hi Dharmesh5,

In such a case you can still board but you’ll have to stand until someone gets off the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 23:51:45 #863029

Thank you.

1) Golden Pass:

1.1.) Could you tell me the price of the Golden Pass?

1.2.) Could you please tell me if it is possible to travel on day 1 from Lucern to Interlaken and stay the night in Interlaken? And then on day 2 travel from Interlaken to Montreux and stay the night there.

2) Swiss Pass: If I buy the Swiss Pass, can I go in a Golden Pass Train with the Swiss Pass?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 5:50:39 #863030

>> 1.1.) Could you tell me the price of the Golden Pass?

Just to be clear, the Golden Pass is not a ticket, or a specific train, but the name given to identify a scenic railway route that starts in Luzern and goes via Interlaken Ost, Spiez and Zweisimmen to Montreux. Travelling the whole route from start to finish involves changing trains at Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen, and sometimes also at Spiez. The train you change to at Zweisimmen, which takes you through to Montreux, is called MOB Panoramic, and has panoramic windows. (MOB is short for Montreux–Oberland Bernois railway).

So the “price” of the Golden Pass is simply the price of ticket between the station you board at and the station you alight at. There are no restrictions on which stations you can board or alight at. You can travel the whole sector from start to finish, or just travel to the next station from the one you board at.

>> 1.2.) Could you please tell me if it is possible to travel on day 1 from Lucern to Interlaken and stay the night in Interlaken? And then on day 2 travel from Interlaken to Montreux and stay the night there.

Yes, this is a very popular option. If you have time, I would recommend to spend at least a few days in the Jungfrau Region, which is easily accessible from Interlaken, before continuing to Montreux.

>> 2) Swiss Pass: If I buy the Swiss Pass, can I go in a Golden Pass Train with the Swiss Pass?

Yes, but it is called a “Swiss Travel Pass“. The “Swiss Pass” is something different, and is for residents, not tourists. The Swiss Travel Pass provides free travel on the Golden Pass route from start to finish.

Alpenrose

Annika
    7121 posts
    14 May 2017 at 12:36:33 #863031

Please find all information about the Swiss Travel Pass mentioned by Alpenrose at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass. There are tabs on validity, purchase options and further detailed information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 17:13:14 #863032

Very helpful! Thanks a lot

• The thread ‘Please advise 4 days in Luzern plus Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.