Best rail pass for Zurich-Grindelwald 3 days-Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2017 at 3:02:29 #812881

Hi! I have literally read for hours, but still can’t decide which rail pass is most beneficial for my itinerary. Please help!

We will fly to Zurich airport and then immediately travel by train to Grindelwald. We will spend 3 nights there with a fair amount of travel while there (Jungfraujoch, Murren, Wengen, etc). Then, we will go to Lake Como next. 3 nights there, then Vernazza for 3 nights, and finally Venice for 3 nights.

I’m torn with deciding whether the half-fare card or Swiss pass makes more sense. I’m leaning toward half-fare and then buying regular tickets in Italy. Can someone please advise? Viele dank!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2017 at 10:18:09 #868026

Hi Swissvegas and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Either rail pass will only be valid within Switzerland only (so just to and from and in the Grindelwald area).
    The only way to know for sure which pass is the most economical is to do the math and compare the passes. We have a web page here on how to choose the best rail pass, that has an Excel sheet to help you.

You will need to plan out your train trips as well as the trips you plan to make in the Jungfrau region around Grindelwald.

I would look at comparing the Swiss Half Fare Card, The Jungfrau Travel Pass and the Swiss Travel Pass.

You may also want to consider buying the Swiss Half Fare Card OR Swiss Travel Pass AND the Jungfrau Travel Pass (if you will do a lot of trips around Grindelwald) as the they will get you 25% off the cost of the Jungfrau Travel Pass.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for Zurich-Grindelwald 3 days-Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.