Please help with 6 day itinerary Brienz and Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2016 at 16:04:07 #808960

My husband and myself will be staying in Brienz for 6 days and for 1 day in Zurich.

We are flying from holiday in Austria, Budapest and Prague. We are from Mumbai, India.

we want to visit maybe 1 or 2 mountain tops and explore some beautiful villages.

This will be our first visit to Switzerland.

Please help us planning with itinerary .

we also intend buying the Swiss rail pass. So, if you can suggest any tips about the pass , we will be glad.

We are staying in Zurich on the day before flying back to Mumbai.

We have booked an apartment for 6 days in Brienz and hotel for 1 day in Zurich .

We do not want a very hectic holiday. We are not the adventurous type.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2016 at 0:59:51 #850979

Hi Niruparungta – Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

When you travel is important for the seasons vary a lot .

When will that be?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 April 2016 at 5:37:05 #850980

Hello Niruparungta,

Apart from the Swiss Travel Pass, which covers the entire country, there are other options too. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is an example. It depends on your travel plans which one is the best choice. Please find all details here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2016 at 12:39:29 #850981

I am sorry for not mentioning the dates.

we will be in Switzerland from 26thMay to 2nd of June.

We will be going to Brienz from Zurich on 26th and staying there until 1st June morning.

we will travel to Zurich on 1st Morning and fly back to Mumbai on 2nd June morning .

I am not sure about the weather during this period and hence not able to plan itinerary.

we do not mind going to places not frequented by tourists but are worth visiting.

We are senior citizens but in good physical condition though not fond of adventure activities .

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 April 2016 at 15:05:40 #850982

Hi Nirapungta-

Late May is the end of winter in the higher regions of the Alps, roughly, above 2000 meters.

At the lower altitude of Brienz ( approx. 400 meters) , it will be Spring.

The Lauterbrunnen Valley should be very nice, even though Spring does come a bit late due tot he limited sunshine at the Valley floor ( around 700 meters, if I recall correctly.)

I am planning a short stay in Wengen about then, and the hotel that I have chosen does not open for summer until June 3. Although many tourist services, restaurants, and other hotels will be functioning, many will not.

If you wish to use cableways in the Jungfrau region, please be sure to check your chosen dates in the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Your hotel and local tourist offices adn train stations can give guidance on the weather and services available near the Jungfrau. The weather is changeable up there, so you should use up to date information if when you go up. And, you certainly should, because it is a spectacular place.

This panorama looks to the south, so Brienz is just out of sight on the left.

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

Slowpoke

Also, see:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Check the link that Arno provided about the Bernese Oberland, to give you some ideas on where to go.

I would consider a trip over the Brunig Pass to Luzern as a nice day trip.

Luzern is a nice city, in a beautiful setting, and has many interesting things in the city itself, as well as surroundings. See this linkf for information about Luzern and other regions.

Bern is also a pleasant day trip from Brienz.

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2016 at 21:16:57 #850983

Thank you for your response.

I have checked online and from my understanding the Jungfraujoch railway and cable car will be operational at end of May dates .

Which route to Jungfrau should be taken? It is very confusing to decide. Should it be pre planned or we can decide on that day.

I have heard a lot about Zermatt . Is a day trip from Brienz possible .

You have mentioned Wengen region.Can I get some clarity about it.

Another query is regarding currency.Can we carry US dollars and exchange it locally

I am very happy to meet such good people in the Forum .

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 April 2016 at 0:45:09 #850984

Hi Niparungta –

<<“I have checked online and from my understanding the Jungfraujoch railway and cable car will be operational at end of May dates . Which route to Jungfrau should be taken? It is very confusing to decide. Should it be pre planned or we can decide on that day.”>>

The cograil will be running. I do not know which cable car you refer to.

Please look at the panoramic map of the Jungfrau region which I linked to in my last post.

You will see that there is only one route to the Jungfraujoch from Kleine Scheidesgg (via cograil) unless you change your mind about your interests and decide to climb high alps with technical gear. 😉 You will see that there are a few routes to Kleine Scheidegg. At that time of year, the only reliable routes are via cog rail from either Grindelwald , or from Lauterbrunnen, via Wengen. Once you are there near the Jungfrau, the other routes may open up if there is good weather. They’ll require hiking ;-(

Your hotel will guide you as noted above in my last post to you, but make your plans to go up based on the most recent reports.

<<“I have heard a lot about Zermatt . Is a day trip from Brienz possible .”>>

Yes. What have you heard about it that makes it more attractive than the Jungfrau region?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

<<“You have mentioned Wengen region.Can I get some clarity about it.”>>

Yes. Wengen is a town in the Jungfrau Region.

Please look at the panoramic map that I linked you to in my last post. if you prefer a planimetric map, as opposed to a panoramic map, try:

map.search.ch/?x=-4104m&y=-8496m&z=8

Also,

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

<<“Another query is regarding currency.Can we carry US dollars and exchange it locally”>>

Yes. Almost all train stations have currency exchange. Banks will do it, too. In major city train stations (such as Bern, Zürich) which likely includes Interlaken, there are dedicated Foreign Exchange booths. The rates are good. ATM’s are probably more consistently reliable for the best immediately current rates. US dollars are often accepted at hotels and restaurants, , but the exchange rate will depend on the mood of the host. 😉

Euros are more common, bu the same caution applies.

However the most economical and safest way to get funds and to crary them is to take them in small amounts from an ATM which withdraws them from your bank at home.

If you are using a US bank, it may offer overseas ATM service.

<<“I am very happy to meet such good people in the Forum .”>>

Thank you. We are glad to have such thoughtful travelers as yourself, who plan ahead and try to understand the systems.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 19:52:10 #850985

Hello, everyone

I have been busy with completing my professional commitments before leaving for my holidays.

I have sort of decided on the itinerary and wanted your views and comments on the viability.

Day 1- will be travelling from Zurich to Brienz . Since we land at 4.30pm at Zurich, I think we will be reaching Brienz by 9pm .

Then onwards it depends on the weather.

– Jungfrau . Can we go one way and come back the other way. ie Grindelwald and Lauterbrennen .Which way up or down is better ?

Can we see the towns of Grindelwald and Lauterbrennen on the way or we do them separately.

Next we would like to visit Lucerne and Mt-Pilatus if weather is good’

Next , Zermatt is on the list for being environment friendly.

Boat ride on the Lake Brienz to Interlaken is also something I would like to do .

Ride on the Chocolate train sounds interesting

we are in Zurich for 1 day . Rhine falls may be on the agenda

I would appreciate your response if you feel Some Other thing will be better.

we are from Mumbai, India and not from USA. We have decided to carry Swiss Francs with us. Is carrying travel card ok, will it be accepted everywhere

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 April 2016 at 15:34:38 #850986

Hi Niparungta,

I think you’ve selected some great trips. Mind that there are no “must sees” or “must adds”, as your own personal preferences matter most. Having said that, here are some comments and suggestions:

• the proposed route for the Jungfraujoch can be found at our Jungfraujoch page. You can easily visit Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald during this trip. If you’re traveling up via Lauterbrunnen I wouldn’t spend too much time there though, especially if weather seems to be better early in the morning. Making your way up to the Jungfraujoch is a priority in that case, but you can always return later in the afternoon or on another day. In Spring, the easy walk towards Stechelberg is absolutely wonderful;
    • a visit to Zermatt is doable, if you don’t mind a long travel day. You’d best use the timetable that’s been mentioned above in order to check traveling times and find out if you’re fine with them;
    • I’d reconsider the Chocolate Train if I were you. It’s a very long way from Brienz. You’ll have to get to Montreux first and very early too, as the Chocolate Train leaves in the morning. If you’re looking for some cultural sightseeing, I’d recommend the very nearby Ballenberg Open Air museum instead;
    • since you’re staying in Brienz, you may like a cog train ride halfway up to the Brienzer Rothorn. The train won’t be heading for Brienzer Rothorn itself yet (it will do so from June 4), but it will reach Planalp;
    • I don’t know what a travel card is. The main payment methods are cash (Swiss francs) and debit cards. Most credit cards are widely accepted too.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2016 at 3:13:49 #850987

>> We have decided to carry Swiss Francs with us. Is carrying travel card ok, will it be accepted everywhere

Are you talking about a travel-money card that is separate from your normal bank and credit cards, onto which you can load foreign currency in advance, and then use it like a credit or debit card?

If it is branded with the Mastercard or Visa logo, it will be accepted everywhere those cards are accepted. There might be other brands accepted too, but I only have experience with Mastercard and Visa.

You may find however, that Swiss francs are not able to be loaded onto the card, as all the ones I have seen have a maximum of 10 currencies available, and the Swiss franc is not one of them.

In that case you would need to load your own currency (if available), or another currency such as Euros (which you will need for Austria anyway). In that case, a fee for converting Euros to Swiss francs is likely to be charged by the card issuer each time you use it to withdraw money from a cash machine (Bankomat, Bancomat, Postomat or Postfinance) or to pay for goods and services in hotels, shops and restaurants.

Despite that drawback, a travel-money card is still my preferred way of accessing money when I travel in Switzerland.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2016 at 18:16:40 #850988

Hello!

Which App do you check the weather ?

We will be staying in Brienz . If the weather is good in Brienz , does it mean that the weather is good all over and we can travel to any place .Or we have to check the weather to particular place.

what does checking webcam for weather mean?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 May 2016 at 0:37:51 #850989

Hi Niparungta-

Here is partial answer to your questions:

<<“We will be staying in Brienz . If the weather is good in Brienz , does it mean that the weather is good all over and we can travel to any place.”>>

No and yes. No matter what the weather, there is a way to travel to most all places.

<<“Or we have to check the weather to particular place.”>>

Yes.

The weather in Switzerland varies from region to region, and, especially with altitude. The mountains have a substantial influence on local weather, which can change frequently.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

<<“Which App do you check the weather ?”>>

I read the newspapers, and look at television every AM between about 0630 and 0800 ( approx.) on the channel SF1.

Smartphone users can add suggestions. and surely will.

<<“what does checking webcam for weather mean?”>>

Here is an example:

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1091875657-Brienz-Dorf-Fischerbrunnenplatz-Brienz-%283855-Brienz%29_Weather

Higher altitudes still have a lot of snow.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 May 2016 at 7:51:16 #850990

There are several apps listed here: myswissalps.com/ aboutswitzerland/ practical/websites

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2016 at 21:31:12 #850991

what is the earliest time we should be going to any of the mountain tops .

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 May 2016 at 7:10:21 #850992

There are many hours of day light when you’re there. You can go up any time you want, starting from the first train/cable car. You can find them in the timetable Slowpoke mentioned. Do check the weather forecast for the best day/time.

• The thread ‘Please help with 6 day itinerary Brienz and Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.