Picking best pass to France, Switzerland and Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 10:30:57 #810774

Hi Lads

I am Bala from India; we plan to make family trip to Europe includes 3 countries like France to Swiss to Italy.

Please find out below itinerary and advise me to choose right economy rail pass…

Day 1 Arriving in Paris

Day 2 Paris city tour

Day 3 Paris city tour

Day 4 Paris city tour

Day 5 Train to Geneva – Eurorail

Day 6 from Geneva to Zermatt – Eurorail

Day 7 Gornergrat Mountain rail & Zermatt city tour

Day 8 from Zermatt to St.Mortiz – Glacier Express

Day 9 St.Moritz city tour

Day 10 from St.Mortiz to Tirano – Bernin express

Day 10 from Tirano to Milan – Eurorail

Day 11 from Milan to venice to Milan – Eurorail

Day 12 from Milan to Florence – eurorail

Day 13 from Florence to Pisa to Florence – eurorail

Day 14 from Florence to Rome – eurorail

Day 15 Rome city tour

Appreciate your response…. and your suggestion if any modification required in this itinerary…

Thanks

bala

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 14:22:30 #858857

Hi Bala and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think for you the best option would be the 3 country Eurail Select Pass. It can be valid for France, Switzerland and Italy. Nearly all trains will be free with this pass. Click here for links on prices and buying tickets for the Eurail Select Pass. Please note Eurail passes do not include public transport for your city visits so that would be extra.

The only extras on your itinerary (in Switzerland) noted above would be seat reservations for the Bernina Express and Glacier Express trains which are required and the Gornergrat in Zermatt is the regular price (not included in your pass).

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 22:52:55 #858858

hi bala

thats a great itinarary though it will be over exhausting for you and your family . yes three country eurorail pass will be best option . what i have noticed is that train tickets price of high speed trains for two to three trips will easily surpass the price of eurorail pass . so it’s a good buy. secondly please keep in mind seat reservation charges . between paris and geneva it’s around €25 per person and €8 for carriage booking . in italy it’s usually €10 /person and €6 carriage booking . other option could be to take regional trains which are slow though but will take you through regional areas and many stops . make sure you go through eurorail pass county benefit web page . and try to squeeze as much benefits out of euro rail pass as possible . lucas or annika from myswissalps can send you web links . in switzerland it’s a good idea to get swiss half fare card along with eurorail pass if kids under 16 are accompanying you . At least one parent can have it and order free family pass with that half fare card .

kids will be free through out switzerland but seat reservation fees are still applicable . this rule applies even one day prior to their 16 birthday .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2017 at 4:23:45 #858859

Dear Lucas & Azaib

Many thanks for your prompt reply, I appreciate your suggestion…

this suggestion gives us an idea also I have a few points to be cleared…

Lucas as per your suggestion I have few points can you please clarify?

1. (Eurail passes do not include public transport for your city visits ) for public transport inside Swiss trams, Paris, Rome and Milan… should I need to spend extra… am I get any discount price by holding this Europass ??

2. I notice that I need 7 day travel… so I plan to buy 6 day pass + 1 free day… is this a right option??

3. Is this europass use only for travel outside city to city only.. Not as local transport inside cities??

Azaib

As per Lucas statement

I understand that the Bernina Express and Glacier Express trains only seat reservation will be extra, but in Gornergrat is the regular price (not included in your pass).

When my travel in the Bernina Express and Glacier Express trains covered by this eurail pass, should I still need to buy that half fare card??

If yes please advise me the benfits and where can i save money if I do so.

Thanks

bala

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2017 at 8:12:31 #858860

no if you are not travelling with kids then it’s fine because eurorail gives same benefits . it’s just that with half fare card you get family card and kids are free .

enjoy your. trip

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 February 2017 at 13:26:42 #858861

Hi Bala,

You’d better do the math as explained here, based on all details of your trip. Azaib has a good point by checking whether additional Swiss Half Fare Cards (for the adults) are worth it. Again this depends on your exact plans and whether there are children in your group. Doing the calculations is the only way to tell for sure.

Another option would be a pass for Switzerland (e.g. Swiss Half Fare Card) and point to point tickets for France and Italy, or even a 2-country pass for just Switzerland and Italy (http://www.eurail.com/eurail-passes/select-pass/two-country/italy-switzerland). That would work if you book early for cheaper tickets and if your itinerary is fixed. A pass would of course offer more flexibility. Please see:

As for your questions:

1./3. Indeed, transport within cities is not included: myswissalps.com/eurail selectpass/validity. If you only stay in Paris and not visit other towns in France, a pass for Paris would work for you: http://www.viator.com/tours/P aris/Paris-Pass/d479-2036PARIS.

3. Yes, that would get you 7 travel days while you pay only 6: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/free-days-added-to-your-eurail-pass.

• The thread ‘Picking best pass to France, Switzerland and Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.