Planning daily activities around Murren in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2019 at 23:54:11 #819852

Hello! My family will be visiting in July. Arriving in Zurich at 11:30am. We plan to take the train via Lucerne(for scenery) to Murren where we will be staying for 3 nights. I’m trying to put together a loose itinerary for our days. It’s difficult to do, not knowing how far the traveling time in between murren and surrounding areas and how long I should allow for planned activities. My kids are 12 &16. We want to be active!

the first day….approximate time should I expect to arrive in Murren? Flight coming in Zurich at 11:30. Will there be enough time to do anything this day or should we just plan to have a nice dinner and check out Murren?

The things that I’ve looked at and would like to fit into our short stay:

-visit one of the peaks (Schilthorn probably because easily accessible from Murren and free with Swiss pass) stopping at Birg for thrill walk

-Hike down to explore Gimmmelwald

-Explore Lauterbrunnen and waterfalls.

-Blumental Trail or Eiger trail?

-Grindelwald and all the fun activities there. I think my kids would love the Pfingstegg, the scooters, trotti bikes, glider ride and all those types of activities. How far is this from Murren? Is it worth going to?

On check out day I was thinking we would take the boat across Thun and from there traveling to Basel and into France. How long should I allow for boating and stopping to explore a little. What station should I take train To Basel?

Can you help me fit some(or all) of these things into our intinerary? We have 3 nights in Murren!

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2019 at 2:03:27 #903862

Hi HeathG –

The timetable along with a map will answer your questions, except for “is it worth it.”

You are the only person to answer that one. Hopefully, the extensive information available on this site can help you answer that.

Work with:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

and,

map.search.ch/?pos=637408,162816&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,halteste lle,zug

and,

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

http://www.myswissalps.com/mu rren

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 17:15:21 #903863

Hi HeathG,

I think you are right with the activities around Grindelwald for the family. The timetable link from Slowpoke will give you timings/schedules for trains, buses, boats etc (whatever is needed to get you there). It always gives you the quickest route possible, so if you have a VIA station you want t use, be sure to enter it in the via box as well (like Zurich airport to Murren Via lucerne for example).

For details and recommendations for what to see and do in the Jungfrau region have a look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion/activitie s

Depending on how quickly you want to get to wherever you go in France, taking a boat trip from Interlaken across Lake Thun (http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun) to the town of Thun is a nice way to spend a couple hours. From Thun you can catch a train to Basel and on to a town in France.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2019 at 18:01:23 #903864

Thank you both for your responses! I will check out the timetables you linked for travel times. I should have been clearer with my other question. Do I need to allow a full day for Grindelwald?

Is visiting Birg and Schilthorn a full day activity?

Should hiking in Lauterbrunnen to see falls be an all day activity?

I realize my question is difficult to answer. Just wondering if I could combine activities into one full day?

We really only have 2 full days in Murren. Our check in day we will arrive around between 4-5. Not too much time for a lot. Our check out day we may have a couple hours in the morning but we have full day of travel to colmar and want to take our time with sightseeing along our journey.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 February 2019 at 18:23:32 #903865

Hi HeathG,

It depends on your preferred pace indeed, but I think a walk and a visit to Birg and the peak are perfectly doable in a day. Please find details here:

Grindelwald itself can be seen in an hour, but activities in the area can take anything from half a day to multiple days depending on what you’re going to to.

http://www.myswissalps.com/gr indelwald

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 February 2019 at 23:51:41 #903866

Hi HeathG-

<<“Do I need to allow a full day for Grindelwald?”>>

Arno answered your question well, but I’ll add my 2 cents worth.

I usually stay in Wengen and spend my time in the Wengen/Lauterbrunne/Mürren/Stechelberg/Schilthorn part of the region.

Last September, I realized that I had not been to Grindelwald for about 15 years. So, after some time in Wengen, I went over, took the cableway partway up to First, stayed over night in Bort at the very nce Alpinhotel Bort. Stunning views of the Eiger as the sun set. Good range of food options on the menu.

As I drove through Grindelwald to and from Zweilütschinen to the parking lot in Grindelwald near the lift station for the Firstbahn, I realize why I had not been to Grindelwald for a while. It is amuch more commercial and less charming mountain village -actually, too large to be called a village – than the other places mentioned. I suspect that it has grown to be a good sized town and spread out so much because it is accessible by car. Views to the mountains are nice, but the ambience really did not appeal to me. Everyone’s tastes are different, but that’s how I feel. If I were doing it, I’d not take even a few minutes to explore, but would get right on the cableway, if that is your plan.

Grindelwald station has a left luggage office open from 0640 until 1800 7 days per week, and some lockers. Number not specified.

There is a bus from the train station to the valley station of the Firstbahn, or, you can walk. It about 750 meters, maybe less.

map.search.ch/Grindelw ald,Bort?poi=bergbahn,gastro,ha ltestelle,parking,vias uisse,zug&pos=646396,1 63946&z=256

And, by the way, Arno wrote “Brig” but I think we both know he meant Birg. 😉

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 February 2019 at 11:03:21 #903867

Thanks for catching that Slowpoke! Corrected.

• The thread ‘Planning daily activities around Murren in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.