Geneva, Wengen, Lucerne, Milan – 6 day itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 12:05:37 #813060

My husband and I will be in Switzerland for 6 days from 2- 7 Sep.

We will be staying 3 nights in Grindelwald and 2 nights in Lucerne.

Day 1 – Arrive Geneva station from Paris at 11:28 AM. Geneva to Grindelwald via Montreux, Zweisimmen taking the Golden Pass train.

Day 2 – Trip to Jungfrau and visit Tummelbach Falls.

Day 3 – Hike in the Wengen area , explore Interlaken and a boat trip in one of the lakes.

Day 4 – Trip to Mount Titlis , explore Lucerne city .

Day 5 – Visit Rhine Falls and Zurich city. Back to Lucerne

Day 6 – Lucerne to Arth Goldau to catch a train to Milan at 09:50 AM.

I will be pleased to make changes to follow your expert suggestions.

Please answer my questions.

1. Is day 5 doable ?
    2. What time Arth-Goldau train should I take from Lucerne to have enough time to catch Milan train?
    3. Is Swiss Half Fare Card better for my itinerary ?
    4. Can I buy Swiss Half Fare Card from Geneva Station?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 17:36:19 #868872

Hi Aaliya,

1. Yes your itinerary is busy but doable. Day 3 will depend on how much hiking you want to do.
    2. You can search the timetable and it will tell you what trains to take in order to get from Luzern (or Arth-Goldau) to Milan.
    3. I think the Swiss Travel Pass is best for you, but you can do the math here, to compare the passes and find out for sure the best one for you though.
    4. You can buy either the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card online or at the rail station.
      It is more convenient to buy it online though. It gets emailed to you for printing at home so you have it before you land here. Also it gives you an electronic back up in case you lose the pass.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 18:35:19 #868873

Thank you Lucas,

Swiss Travel Pass is indeed very convenient. If i buy a 4 days STP then i will not have any pass to travel on day 5 .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 5:38:32 #868874

Yes, that’s true. As you have 6 days of travel here you might want to look at the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass. Focus more on the pass cost than the fact you only need it for 6 days.

You may still come out ahead over buying the 4 day pass and then point to point tickets on the other 2 days. Another option that can sometimes work is the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex to use it on the 4 most expensive travel days and then point to point on the other 2 days.

Use my link above (do the math) to compare those three options to see what would be best for you.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 15:35:39 #868875

Thank you Lucas

I will compare all the above options.

What are the chances of having a clear day to visit Jungfraujoch on 3 or 4 September?

Weather forecast is predicting rain on those days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 17:05:17 #868876

You can never know with the weather in the mountains – I wouldn’t trust the forecast until the day before.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 9:52:02 #868877

Thank you so much Lucas for all the help.

• The thread ‘Geneva, Wengen, Lucerne, Milan – 6 day itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.