Point to point ticket: SBB.ch vs Rail Europe

• siva2023
    Participant
    4 posts
    3 May 2023 at 12:55:09 #829754

Hi

Being first time traveler to Europe & Switzerland, I was looking at ticket booking for my family from Zurich to Bern in SBB. Ch. as well as in RailEurope

Precisely for 1st June,

train number IC 1 716 #716 stops leaving 11.32am Zurich HB and reaching Bern 12.28 point to point ticket show CHF 102 for (2 Adult ) , where as RailEurpe shows ticket price Austalian Dollar AUD 114 ( for 2 adults) . The difference I noticed in the booking details in Raileurope is “Unreserved Seating” with following details as shown (I cut & paste). Based on approximate conversation rate from CHF to AUD, the ticket price if I book through SBB is twice compared to booking through Raileurope Website

RailEurope Website, booking shows following details in the ticket

Zurich – Bern, Second, 2 Adults, Second Class, Supersaver Ticket, Non-Flexible (AU$57.00 each).

in SBB Ch , the information I see is ( I cut & paste)

ticket Outward journey from Zürich HB to Bern

via Olten2nd class

2× Point-to-point Ticket125

Open tip Point-to-point Ticket

Valid: Thu, 01.06.2023

until Fri, 02.06.2023 05:00

CHF 102.00

1. Does ticket issued by SBB ch, automatically allocated any reserved seats?.

2. Is it allowed to travel on this particular train, to travel without seat reservation as it’s only 1 hour journey (if I purchase the ticket through RailEurpe website)

3. will there be any issue while boarding or travelling , if I carry a paper print out ticket issued by RailEurope.

4. How difficult to identify the coach number , as the train is arriving to Zurich HB leaving the station with few minutes halt.

I will be reaching Zurich International Airport at 9.30 AM and hope I can reach Zurich HB by 11Am.

I am planning to take Bernese Oberland Regional pass, as I planned to stay in BO Region for 6 Days. My understanding I can use BO pass from Bern.

Thanks in advance

Siva

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2023 at 14:13:32 #954053

Nobody books seats on inter city trains in Switzerland, it simply isn’t necessary as the railway service in Switzerland is essentially like one giant city transit system, completely different to Australia where the long distance train service is much less comprehensive (due to the far larger distances between population points). There are around 6 trains each hour Zurich – Bern – which is probably as many (if not more) services as you get in one hour on a Sydney or Melbourne commuter train route.

I tried a dummy booking on SBB planner and got a price of CHF 33 per person full fare (66 in total – much less than your CHF112.)

siva2023
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 May 2023 at 2:44:42 #954054

Thanks for your prompt reply

Yes, when I selected Super Saver Ticket, I see the price per Ticket is CHF 33.20. But with super Saver Ticket, it’s shown not possible to change trains, so in case if I miss this train (departure 11.32 am) for whatever reason, I have to buy a new ticket. Is this correct?

With this super Saver tickets, can I travel with (23 kg standard dimension airline check-in luggage and 7 kg hand luggage) . Can I carry in these luggage free of cost orl do I pay additional charges.

I repeat one my earlier question and few more questions

If I arrive 9.30 am in Zurich International airport, do I have adequate time to reach ZURICH HB and board 11.32am train ?

with Super Saver, if I put departure Zurich Flughafen instead of Zurich, is it permitted to take any train with Zurich International airport to Zurich HB, so that I can take 11.32 am Zurich HB Bern HB. ?

Is same luggage (23 kg standard dimension airline check-in luggage and 7 kg hand luggage) policy apply with BO regional pass?

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    4 May 2023 at 6:36:46 #954055

Hello siva2023,

Thanks for sharing your findings. In answer to your questions:

1. No typically reservations are not necessary here. You can read all about reservations here: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations

2. Yes, as long the ticket is valid for your train journey, you are good to go.

3. No, paper print out is fine, as long as the details are correct. You may want to have your passport handy, in case you need to show any identification, should a ticket inspector asks.

4. Just so I have understood correctly, do you mean the actual train carriages or the train platforms?

If you are not subject to any delays, either from the plane arrival, passport control queues and baggage collection. Your 11.32 train from Zurich main station, could be a little tight to be honest.

If you buy a Supersaver ticket. You can only travel on the specified departure time on the specified date. If you miss a connecting train, you would need to purchase a new ticket. More details here: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

So, for your Supersaver ticket from Zurich airport to Bern, you would have a specified departure time from the airport, so you would need to take this train only.

There are no specific luggage limits on Swiss trains. There are designated areas where larger pieces of luggage can be stored. Smaller luggage can be stowed on a rack above your seat.

That’s great you are planning on buying the Berner Oberland Pass. You can read all about it, in the below link. There is also information on where to buy, the coverage map, how to use. Yes, Bern would be one of the ‘entry’ points to the Berner Oberland Pass.

I hope all is clarified.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Point to point ticket: SBB.ch vs Rail Europe’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.