Point-to-point vs Supersaver tickets Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 23:37:12 #825173

I will be traveling to about 5 places in Switzerland for 7 nights. Not sure whether to buy super saver ticket or point to point ticket. I have a half fare card . It’s confusing for me the price of point to point ticket on SBB Site from Basel to Bern is 20.50 CHF and i don’t understand whether it’s return ticket or single journey. The super saver ticket for the same route is 16.50 CHF

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 0:34:34 #929856

“I will be traveling to about 5 places in Switzerland for 7 nights.”

Could you please clarify what this means. Are you staying in one place for 7 nights and travelling to 5 other places?

“Not sure whether to buy super saver ticket or point to point ticket. I have a half fare card . It’s confusing for me the price of point to point ticket on SBB Site from Basel to Bern is 20.50 CHF and i don’t understand whether it’s return ticket or single journey. The super saver ticket for the same route is 16.50 CHF”

I looked at the page and didn’t find it confusing, there are boxes for ‘single journey’ (clarified by single arrow pointing left) or ‘single and return journey’ (clarified by double arrow symbol). Super saver was the default option, but lower down on the page there was also a ‘check box’ which when checked gives the point to point standard fare. The point to point fare it showed me was , as you say 20.50 single. When I clicked on the ‘single and return’ box it rose, correctly, to 41 return

Note that it is always clearer to look on a full size computer screen – important parts of a ticket buying web page can often be ‘hidden’ on mobile device screens

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 0:36:57 #929857

Remember also that Super Saver tickets are for specific trains, point to point gives more flexibility

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 1:36:48 #929858

I will be staying in different places

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2020 at 2:33:00 #929859

Try this http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables. It might clarify a few things for you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2020 at 2:50:20 #929860

…. important parts of a ticket buying web page can often be ‘hidden’ on mobile device screens

That’s why they have an app! 😉

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2020 at 4:09:29 #929861

Hello Yasmin and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Supersaver fares vary based on time of day and on how close you are to your travel date. They can often do sell out on any given route. Take care using Supersaver fares. If you plans change and you can’t catch the train you intended then you’ll need a new ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 13:59:35 #929862

Hi Rockoyster, thank you for the useful information

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 February 2020 at 12:01:48 #929863

Hi Yasmin01! The difference between regular tickes and Supersaver tickets is explained at http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland. More information about 50% discounted tickets in addition to your Swiss Half Fare Card can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerlandhalffare.

Instructions on how to use the timetable, and how to find prices, are listed at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

• The thread ‘Point-to-point vs Supersaver tickets Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.