Bernina Express to Pontresina and later to Chur

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2018 at 23:24:21 #814647

Hi

Planning a trip on BEX in September…. proposing to take 1st train from Tirano and get off at Pontresina around midday.. Then after about 4 hours continue to Chur arriving 18.20. Because it is 2 separate bookings I realise that 2 booking payments will be required in addition to the BEX tickets My question is, does it cost the same for the journey from Pontresina to Chur as it would from Tirano to Chur? In other words are you effectively booking the seat for the entire journey even though you are only using one half of it? If that is the case is there any way to split the journey without having to pay for 2 complete trips paying full price in each case and does the same apply coming from Chur to Tirano. We are going north one day and returning south (by regular normal train) the following day, breaking the journey with an overnight in St Moritz. Kind regards

Alistair Mackay

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 March 2018 at 2:24:02 #877917

Hello Alistair,

The reservation fee is CHF10 for all or part of the journey Tirano to Chur. If you break the trip at Pontresina then you’ll need 2 reservations per traveler. Probably won’t break the bank? 😉

Tickets are a different issue. A ticket from Tirano to Chur will allow you to alight at Pontresina and re-board the later BEX. Same applies for regular trains heading south. A Chur to Tirano ticket is good for the whole trip even if you jump off at St Moritz for a bit.

I’m assuming here that you are not referring to a Super Saver Ticket which can only be used on a specific journey. Of course if perchance you had a Swiss Travel Pass then tickets are not required at all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 8:15:28 #877918

Thanks for the great advice rockoyster . How does the search reservation go if a have a particular seat on the earlier train and then take the later train…. Won’t someone else on the later train possibly have the same seat having boarded on the later train at another station with their own reservation ?

Regards Alistair

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 March 2018 at 8:41:59 #877919

Sorry Alistair, you’ve lost me there. You can only make reservations on specific trains. If you have a reservation you have a seat. A ticket is usable on earlier or later trains but the seat reservation is tied to a specific departure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 9:50:59 #877920

OK thanks

So for example if I have seat 6a from Tirano to Chur and I alight at Pontresina and the get a later train with seat 12b… 2 journeys and 2 seat reservations Does that mean if someone else books the entire journey from Tirano on the later train then they won’t be able to book seat 12b? Also the price I was quoted for the journey from pontresina to chur was 56 Swiss and that seemed a lot when the entire journey costs around 64 Swiss? Thanks

Alistair

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 12:03:40 #877921

Hi Alistair,

If you are making both trips on the same day, you just need one train ticket (or rail pass) that covers the whole trip. You will need to make 2 reservations though for a seat on each leg of the trip.

Swiss railways tickets are valid for an entire day so you can hop off the train along the journey if you like and continue later that day to finish the trip on the same ticket. So one ticket for the whole trip but 2 seat reservations (for each leg of the trip).

If you book 12b for Pontresina to Chur, no one else can book 12b for on that train between those towns.

PS If you don’t take the Bernina Express train itself, no reservation is needed. So you could take the Bernina Express train to Pontresina and take a regional train on to Chur (or vice versa) without the need for a 2nd reservation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 13:08:20 #877922

Fabby Dabby Lucas

Think I’m on the right track now! (no pun intended!)

Alistair

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 March 2018 at 19:42:33 #877923

I should have mentioned earlier that I’d buy a ticket Tirano to Chur using the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). But make reservations using http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#cart. I’m not even sure you can buy tickets only at the RHB site.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 23:08:06 #877924

Thank you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 23:54:16 #877925

When you book direct with the Rhaetian Railway site for BEX and you choose your seat, the price they quote will include the fair and the seat reservation I presume … Paying both at the same time.? Tirano to Chur 76 Swiss

Regards Alistair

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2018 at 0:07:20 #877926

On the RHB site there is an option under “Tickets/reductions” which says “Ticket Available” . Use that to indicate you have or will be acquiring a ticket elsewhere.

Like2Travel
    Participant
    26 posts
    8 March 2018 at 0:41:46 #877927

That is correct. But when you said, you will get off at Pontresina on your first leg, that seat you reserve becomes empty for that train. If you need to continue to Chur, you need another reservation for that remaining leg of your trip as it is a different train you are boarding this time. The BEX and regional train are sometimes connected. I was able to board a first class regional train from St Moritz to Chur that is attached to a Glacier Express. It depends on train schedule whether you are riding a BEX, regional train or connected ones. They share the same railroad most of the time, so sometimes they are just connected, the Scenic trains are just fancier. Take care.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2018 at 8:18:35 #877928

OK, thanks …..think I’m up to speed now with things in general, (oh these puns keep coming I’m afraid.!)….surely the ticket prices for train journeys and seat reservations are the same on every Web site… Can’t see the point in variations in prices really. Rhaetian, Trenitalia and SBB surely have parity when it comes to prices!

Regards once again. Alistair

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 8:11:31 #877929

OK …. To finish this thread…. the facts of the matter are :

I can book any train, regional or BEX, and through any ticket site that offers for sale those tickets for whatever part of the journey from Tirano to Chur. To travel on a BEX carriage I just book a seat on a BEX train for each leg of the journey to confirm my seat. The seat then becomes mine regardless of which legs of the journey that I don’t use it for. Regards. Alistair

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 March 2018 at 9:27:37 #877930

The seat then becomes mine regardless of which legs of the journey that I don’t use it for.

Que?

For the BEX heading north you need two reservations. One for Tirano to Pontresina. One for Pontresina to Chur. Then you need one ticket from Tirano to Chur from SBB.

Heading south on regular trains you just need one ticket Chur to Tirano.

I can’t think of any way to further simplify it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 10:12:32 #877931

Gracias amigo.!

• The thread ‘Bernina Express to Pontresina and later to Chur’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.