Possible to buy Swiss Pass in Milano or Chiasso?

• Rodrigosj
    Participant
    6 posts
    9 February 2018 at 21:03:51 #814311

I’m planing to arrive in Swiss (Lugano) coming from Milano-Italy.

Where can i buy the swiss travel pass? Is it possible to buy in Milano Station or Chiasso, or only in Lugano?

I’m in doubt about this because if i can buy in Milano or Chiasso, will be possible to buy the train ticket in Italy only to Chiasso, and then using the swiss pass to go to Lugano.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2018 at 21:26:33 #876005

Hello Rodrigosi and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can buy a Swiss Travel Pass at Chiasso but it would be far more convenient to buy on-line and print at home before you leave. See http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to buy a ticket from Milan to Lugano and claim the Swiss Travel Pass reduction for the Swiss leg. It will appear as GA not STP.

Rodrigosj
    Participant
    6 posts
    9 February 2018 at 22:01:00 #876006

Thanks for your answer!

Unfortunely, i am brazilizan, and we must to pay a tax 6,28% if use credit card to do international purchase. It would be a lot of money spend in taxes to buy 2 Swiss Pass – 15 day.

Because of this reason it’s best for me to buy the Swiss Pass, paying with cash, in Switzerland.

I had one more doubt about it. Because i will travelling with dollars and euros.

Is it possible to buy the swiss pass only with Swiss Francs?

If positive, is it possible to do the exchange in Chiasso Station or should i change the money in Milano Station before go to Chiasso?

Thank you!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2018 at 0:27:29 #876007

Hi Rodrigosj,

I’m not too sure about the exchange facilities at Chiasso or if you can pay in Euros. Someone else may offer an opinion.

However I wonder if you are doing more Swiss travel that day. The trip from Chiasso to Lugano takes around 35 minutes and costs less than CHF9. So if that is your only travel planned for that day it would not make sense to use a day from your STP unless of course the 15 day pass covers your entire stay.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 9:10:29 #876008

Hi Rodriogsj,

The Swiss railways offices (SBB) will definitely accept Euros if needed. I would though get Swiss Francs for your trip anyway though as many businesses won’t accept it. There is a currency exchange at the Chiasso station as well: https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/railway-stations/further-stations/station.5307. chiasso.html

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2018 at 15:15:13 #876009

Hi Rodriogsj,

If you pay for a Swiss Travel Pass (not SwissPass, that’s for Swiss residents) in Euro’s, you’ll need to pay attention to exchange rates. You can easily end up paying even more than the 6.28% extra that you mentioned. If you can’t buy online than usually paying in CHF is the best way.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 13:42:48 #876010

Hi everyone,

I am in similiar Rodrigo situation, but in my case I will go to Lucern from Milano…So I was thinking that should be better do the follwing route: Milano x Chiasso that costs around 5 eur and then I can buy the Swiss Pass at Chiasso. So, that way I am able to use the pass to go to Lucern, because I will need the Swiss pass for rest the day.

Could you give me some suggestion if this is a good idea? Thank you in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 17:12:14 #876011

Hi Rafael and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, that is a good way to do it. You don’t need to bother getting off the train in Chiasso though to buy a rail pass. Just buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here. They will email it to you almost instantly and you can print it off at home so you just show the train conductor the rail pass, when asked, after Chiasso.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 17:52:11 #876012

Hi Lucas, It’s good idea to buy online. Anyway, I will have to get off the train in Chiasso to take another train to Lucerne, right? Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 18:03:27 #876013

No, you would not change trains in Chiasso. It is just the border town into Switzerland.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trips to and around Switzerland. Some trains are actually direct from Milan to Luzern and require no changes, but most trains require one change in Arth-Goldau.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 10:41:42 #876014

Hi Lucas, let me see if I understand right. If I buy the Swiss Pass online, I can take the train in Milan to Luzern directly for example? The Swiss Pass is valid in Italy, if I take the train to Swiss? I’m saying this because I researched the ways to go to Lucern from Milano on google maps and I saw the the train by TRENITALIA is around 35 eur. Because this I asked you if was better to go to Achiasso because is cheaper (around 5eur) and then I would be able to use the Swiss Pass from there. Sorry, but I’m little confused. Thank you in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 14:09:36 #876015

It is possible to get a direct train from Milan to Lucerene yes – you can find it on the timetable for SBB I linked above (it may not work for your specific schedule though).

You need to buy a ticket to Chiasso only (if you get the Swiss Travel Pass; as it covers the rest of the journey to Lucerne). The Swiss Travel Pass is not valid in Italy no matter what train you are on. (although it will cover you from Domodossola in Italy but I don’t think that is a convenient route for you.

If you find a very cheap price on a ticket to Chiasso for a specific date/time (and that train doesn’t continue to Lucerne) then you will have to change trains in Chiasso to continue on to Lucerne. There are many options for trains from Chiasso to Luzern – even direct trains without any more changes.

I hope that makes sense? 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 15:16:02 #876016

First of all, I would like to thank you. I did a search on the SBB website that you gave me with a random date, I placed in the search fields “from” Milan “to” Lucerne “via” Chiasso, make sure I did the correct search attached. My question now is, where do I buy the ticket from Milan to Chiasso, before buying I have to make sure this train goes to Lucerne, right? I’m talking about this, because I found the passage Milan to Chiasso on the website of TRENITALIA. Thank you in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2018 at 17:36:28 #876017

It isn’t necessary that the train you are on from Milan to Chiasso continues on to Luzern – it is just convenient as you won’t have to change trains in Arth-Goldau. 🙂

We have several online retailers we recommend where you can buy tickets from Italy to Switzerland here.

• The thread ‘Possible to buy Swiss Pass in Milano or Chiasso?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.