Practical tips for train travel in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 13:14:07 #809971

Hello,

Could you please help me to figure out the following?

1. If the train journey involves getting off at different stations to switch trains, would the ticket mention the platform number? Or do we need to take a copy of the train route from the SBB website to identify these stops?

2. Is there any form of validation of train tickets requited before getting on a train? If so, by whom? We have swiss half fare passes.

3. Do trains in the Jungfrau region have only 1st and 2nd class?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    24 August 2016 at 15:27:37 #855462

Hi Traveller3,

1. The ticket does not show platform numbers. The timetable does, and so does the SBB app. But even without all of that, there are plenty of displays and signs at the stations to find your way.

2. Regular point to point tickets do not need to be validated. In some areas however, they don’t sell point to point tickets, but “zone tickets” allowing you to travel in a particular area for a particular time frame (e.g. 2 hours or a day). Some of these tickets have a blank area that needs to be stamped in a machine (they’re often orange) at the station.

3. Yes. And some have 2nd class only.

You may appreciate this page: myswissalps.com/ train/practical.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2016 at 16:40:56 #855463

Hi Arno,

Thank you.

Is it possible to ask the train ticket staff to give us a copy of the schedule, just in case we need one? Schedule as in something similar to the timetable on SBB?

Arno
    15481 posts
    24 August 2016 at 17:35:42 #855464

Yes, they can. Often they also offer free booklets with regional timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2016 at 2:50:46 #855465

That’s great.

Thanks Arno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2016 at 8:40:59 #855466

Hi

We were in Switzerland for 10 days just a fortnight before. The displays at stations and in the trains are excellent. Normally they announce and display the platforms for connecting trains in the train itself too. Plus the staff on train guides very well. Nothing to worry at all. Its a seamless transport system. I too had same apprehensions n anxities before going but nothing to worry.

plus, from the platform nis. they may appear far off…especially in bug places like zurich but actually they are nearby….just a ride up n down escalator….just enjoy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2016 at 8:42:38 #855467

Sorry for the typos

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2016 at 2:56:51 #855468

Hi Hetal,

Thanks a lot for the information. Its comforting to know that its not as daunting as I imagine it to be.

I come from a country where train travel is not as organized and we have to be ready to jump off before the train whizzes past the station! Its a different experience altogether and all part of our life over here. So anything different to that is a bit difficult to process 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2016 at 3:13:46 #855469

Hi

I dont know how long you are in Switzerland but if possible I would recommend swiss travel pass. It adds a lot to your comfort…..you know that you can board any train,tram bus or boat anytime…so you are relaxed about the schedule……can get down halfway if u like a place and take next train….in case u go on a wrong train you dont incur a cost and so on…..plus you dont need to go to buy tickets n waste time…..n most importantly the psychological comfort of no need to calculate the cost everytime. Its so expensive….aah.

for example…we were walking around lake lucerne in the evening and suddenly it started raining….we immediately boarded a boat n continued to enjoy…..if we didnt have pass we would need to go through a costing thought process plus go n buy tickets…by the time boat would go…..

Take a pass n enjoy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2016 at 3:21:39 #855470

Hi Hetal,

I will be in Wengen, so bought the swiss half fare card through my agent, as that covers all the train routes I will be ttravelling on.

Transport costs are actually more than the cost of accommodation, so I know what you mean about the cost.

Thank you for the useful information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2016 at 8:08:19 #855471

Hi friend,

We were in wengen at the first week this month.Pls. share my experience

1. Please note that all display in train /station/hotel and staffs are there to help you.In brief don’t worry be happy.

2.We also had swiss half fare card .To validate , you just fill up your name /country/passport no. at your own hand and it is valid. You just show your card, when you purchase ticket from counter / during checking at train /cable/boat…..

3. Please note at present there is long waiting at kl. scheidegg station. there is reservation system in station

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2016 at 10:22:27 #855472

Hi,

Thanks for the tips.

Please let me know what the weather was like? I will be travelling to Wengen next week.

Arno
    15481 posts
    27 August 2016 at 15:02:18 #855473

Hi Traveller3,

The weather during dipchat995’s trip won’t tell you anything about the weather next week. It could be similar, or dramatically different. You’d best start checking the forecast from 3 days before arrival. Please see myswissalps.com/ weather/ forecast for further details.

• The thread ‘Practical tips for train travel in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.