Pretend booking – need help Rome to Grindelwald

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 18:13:04 #814950

I went on the SBB website here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/buying/p ages/fahrplan/fahrplan .xhtml

to make a pretend booking and why was i charged if i put -“has rail pass? “

One has a passport already and one is still waiting to get one. Will i be able to book both right now?

Do i book the rome to milan through trenitalia? when i try to book the whole thing through trenitalia or through raileurope. i get error messages.

i dont know why im having so much trouble. sorry need help . this is what i got

Outward journey

Roma Termini – Grindelwald

Via Milano Centrale – Spiez – Interlaken Ost

Mon, 11.06.18, 08:00 – 15:08 Hour

Duration: 07:08, 3x Change(s)

Passengers: 1 Adult with Rail Plus, 1 Young person with Rail Plus, 2nd Class

Special offers

Prices apply to all customers and include all compulsory supplements.

Details of any seat reservation charges are shown in the next stage of the booking process.

Total for outward journey

standard offer

Refund / Exchange possible until departure

Prices per person

Conditions and validity 412.00

special offer

No exchange / no refund

Prices per person

Conditions and validity 344.00

Total selected CHF 412.00

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 18:32:36 #879768

Hi Lisa,

Are you going to buy a Swiss Travel Pass? In that case you only want to buy a ticket to the Swiss border, not all the way to Grindelwald. For that specific train you cross into Switzerland at Domodossola so you want a ticket from Rome to Domodossola – you should be buying that ticket from one of the companies here, not at Swiss railways.

Once you have the ticket for the Italian part and the Swiss Travel Pass you’ll take that train (08:00 departure from Rome on June 11) and take it to Grindelwald (changes in Milan, Spiez and Interlaken only).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 19:21:44 #879769

Somebody told me Chiasso. Is there a difference. Is it a better route. Is that also the border?

Do i have to buy the travel pass first? It asked me for the passport numbers.

Yes we will be doing the 8 day travel pass. I think when i tried to do it. I either got “nothing” or I was asked for a passport number.

am i buying the italina train to domodossola at whatever full price its showing?

if i can figure out the italian train- then what? do i then book the swiss train on the sbb website? would i need the travel pass first? or do i have to wait for that second passport to come in.

am i choosing NO Rail card because i wont have one for the italian portion?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 20:02:51 #879770

UPDATE: On the trainline.eu website -i found

8am rome to domodossola for $148.00- i wouldnt check- “i have rail passes” right?

on raileurope: 6am roma to chiasso – 4 hr and 10 minutes ride- 158.00

on raileurope: 8am roma to domodossola-4 hrs and 45 min ride- 158.00

trenitalia – Roma Termini (08:00) To:Domodossola -4 hrs ;43 min- 148.00

would chiasso make it longer to get to grindelwald?

is trenitalia good to buy on? can i book it now without having bought the travel passes? will it ask me for a passport number for this portion? i prefer to leave at 6am but its through chiasso which might be longer?

which one should i book.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2018 at 21:12:07 #879771

Domodossola is the shorter route. I was having a senior’s moment when I said Chiasso. Went looking for the thread to correct it but couldn’t locate. Apologies. 😔

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 22:01:55 #879772

Ok thanks. lol. i did find some trains- after the advice but should i take insurance?

i read on one of the posts about a strike? does that affect italy and switzerland. coming from rome and milan? thats scary. The websites ask for an aoptional 17.00 fee for insurance. do you think its necessary?

i think you placed a link about the strike but i cant tell how to understand which trains to stay away from.

is the strike only in France. Are they the same trains i would be booking?

just more money -as of right now im not helping my son save anything. they are going to end up with a 8 day travel pass. pay for actvities ingrindewald and mt pilatus that they want and expensive italian trains.

and insurance too- because of a strike? oh boy. why doesnt the sbb sight let me buy a swiss travel pass.

i it too early for june 11?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 March 2018 at 23:05:14 #879773

You should be able to buy a Swiss Travel Pass from one of the retailers listed here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Strikes are only affecting French trains – so don’t worry about that.

Not sure what the insurance is for as I always have travel insurance anyway.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 1:55:57 #879774

I need a total of 6 days (june 11-16)

8 day travel pass / italy train = $428.00 / 499.00

Travel Pass Flex-3 day (grindwald, grindelwald-zurich)/ PLUS 2day TELL PASS (lucern) / Italian Train = $417.69 / 457.69

am i missing something?

the 8 day travel pass costs more and they have to pay 50% at Mt pilatus and 50% at Mt First. -mucerne boat free (they really want to do these things)

the two passes combined covers all the same? cost less -and cover Mt Pilatus 100% ? 50% grindelwald? and lucerne boat free?

before i purchase, let me know if i am overlooking something.

they can pick up the TELL pass at the interlaken or grindelwald train station at their first stop?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 March 2018 at 2:13:26 #879775

How come the Italian train costs $71 for the 8-day Pass option but only $40 for the other option?

Yes they can buy Tell Pass at Interlaken but its a bit difficult to say if you have overlooked something without seeing day by day itinerary. You have 5 days covered so is there no or little travel on 6th day?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 2:26:11 #879776

No matter what the tickets from italy are coming up to around 70-75ish.

Im pricing them all by themselves . I dont think the travelpass affects the price from Rome to domodossola.

june 11 rome to grindelwald. pretty much all travel – travel flex

june 12 grindelwald -MT first all day -? (oh no! – you got me!- so is the 8 day worth it or should they just pay the cost for all the way up mt first and zipline down) -travel pass 50% or pay full price

june 13- to interlaken then to lucerne ( both passes could cover this route) –travel flex

june 14 (mt pilatus, boat and whatever -all day lucerne) –Tell Pass

june 15 ( mT Rigi or whichever other sights) -all day lucerne) –Tell Pass

June 16- all day zurich – departs early on the 17th via hotel shuttle –Travel flex They will be needing to take train back and forth. they are near rumlang station.

Travel Pass Flex-4 day $279.00 $327.00

8 DAY TRAVEL PASS $358.00 $429.00

or

Travel Pass Flex-3 day $233.00 $273.00 +pay for grindelwald ride up and zip down?

PLUS 2day TELL PASS $114.69 $114.69

***this took me 3 weeks to figure out. oy vay. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 March 2018 at 3:06:43 #879777

Has the lad seen this http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/pu re-adventure/

You have a minor flaw in your Tell Pass pricing. You are using the Winter price. The Summer price is US$189.

Go the 8 day STP – no fiddling about working out when to flex and when not to flex, all travel largely ticketless – and Pilatus is only US$38 on top of that. First is only US$16 to go up with STP. Don’t know cost of Flyer but doubt it is discounted. You don’t have them using any pass June 12 which I would find surprising. Would have thought they would want to do a little exploring the Jungfrau Region (eg Schilthorn and Birg Thrill Walk for Free with STP).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 2:24:03 #879779

Hello Lisa,

Did you make a final decision on passes?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 12:26:07 #879780

nope. Its between the 8 day – with a rome to domodossola train ticket.

or

the 3 day flex/ 2 day tell / paying for the train straight from rome and using the travel pass starting the next day.

I cant order the passes anyway because my sons passport hasn’t arrived yet. Probably another 2 weeks.When i tried to order them i need passport numbers.

Plus ive been having a hard time getting a price for rome to Grindewald tickets.

If i dont hear back from happytrails or anyone- (whom i contacted)- I will just purchase the roem to domodossola… within 24-48 hrs because i dont want to lose the cheaper fares. right now they are between 70-80.00 per person.

I had contacted Eurail but their prices come up higher on “everything” when i call them – not the same as online- but whe i tried to order them online i can only find the rome to milan. Its not the simplest thing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 13:47:15 #879781

Never mind my previous post. I just paid for the tickets from rome to domodossola. they were $80 usd each. Now what? Do i go on swiss website and book the domodossola to grindelwald with swiss pass option or do they just get on the next available train? I am going to buy the 8 day travel passes. or the 4 day flex / 2 day tell. Still don’t know. either way i cant buy them until i have the passport numbers right?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 15:33:27 #879782

OMG. thanks for pointing thsi out. I would have bought the wrong thing! I am not used to seeing those dates backwards. I actually thought that was a ticket code / first class / second class. geeze!

ok so- there you go- thats why i ask detailed questions. You know what to look for. I gues im getting the 8 day.

You mentioned June 12th. That’s when they are going to Mt First. I figured that would be a whole day. June 11th is basically just traveling from Italy to Grindelwald and they wont arrive until 3pm or so. I doubt they will do anything other than check-in and look around. Unless you have any ideas.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 20:32:09 #879783

Hi Lisa,

My point about June 12 was that with a STP they could jump on a train and go see some other sights if they got done with First earlier than expected. e.g Schynigge Platte offers great photo opportunities. Although the cog-wheel from Wilderswil is only 50%.

With a Swiss Travel Pass the boys just stay on the train at Domodossola. No Swiss tickets to worry about.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 23:36:09 #879784

Hey! Yahoo! I think I’m almost done. It cant be. Yey!!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 March 2018 at 2:24:59 #879785

Congratulations!

I can’t remember if this has been mentioned before but the boys should consider travelling between Brig and Spiez (on their way to Grindelwald) via Kandersteg. They will then travel on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train over the traditional, more than 100 year old mountain route, giving them a wonderful view along the impressive peaks and down into the Rhone Valley. It takes about 1 hour longer than the more direct route via Visp but avoids the rather lengthy Lötschberg Base Tunnel in which the scenery is kinda limited.

Tell the lads we expect lots of photos.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 14:52:15 #879786

That’s sounds great but how do they do that?

They have tickets up to domodossola. Just tell me what to do and I will update their itinerary. They arent going to be able to do much anyway since they will arrive at 3pm – so maybe they will enjoy the more scenic view. So once they arrive at Domodossola- do they get off? are there reservations required for that? If so, how do we reserve it? are they still going to interlaken? then switching trains again?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 6:01:37 #879787

Hi Lisa,

I’m sure I posted a response to this earlier but it seems to have disappeared (or I forgot to press post reply!).

They stay on train at Domodossola. They may have to change at Brig or they may be on a direct connection to Spiez. Either way they need to get off at Brig and take a train Brig to Interlaken Ost via Kandersteg. It also goes to Spiez but via the scenic route. No reservations need. They have to change at Spiez for Interlaken Ost whichever way they go and change at Interlaken Ost for Grindelwald. Make sure they get on the back two carriages. The front two don’t go to Grindelwald!

I came across this grindelwald.swiss/en/w inter/village-of-grindelwald/visitors-card-visitors-taxes/. Not sure if will help with pricing on the First Flyer etc

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • The thread ‘Pretend booking – need help Rome to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.