Pretend booking – need help Rome to Grindelwald

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 6:01:37 #879787

Hi Lisa,

I’m sure I posted a response to this earlier but it seems to have disappeared (or I forgot to press post reply!).

They stay on train at Domodossola. They may have to change at Brig or they may be on a direct connection to Spiez. Either way they need to get off at Brig and take a train Brig to Interlaken Ost via Kandersteg. It also goes to Spiez but via the scenic route. No reservations need. They have to change at Spiez for Interlaken Ost whichever way they go and change at Interlaken Ost for Grindelwald. Make sure they get on the back two carriages. The front two don’t go to Grindelwald!

I came across this grindelwald.swiss/en/w inter/village-of-grindelwald/visitors-card-visitors-taxes/. Not sure if will help with pricing on the First Flyer etc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 12:19:39 #879788

When you say, “Make sure they get on the back two carriages.” Are you talking about the Interlaken Train? How can half the train not go to Grindelwald? Is the platform only big enough for the last two carriages? Hopefully the conductor announces that. But i will note it.

I know I’ve said it before but Thanks to YOU (rockoyster, Lucas, Slowpoke, Arno and Chantal ) for all your help. I don’t know what i would have done without you guys. i feel like I have created a very personalized custom made itinerary and I’ve actually learned a lot about SwitZerland. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 16:02:14 #879789

>> When you say, “Make sure they get on the back two carriages.” Are you talking about the Interlaken Train? How can half the train not go to Grindelwald?

The train from Interlaken Ost is usually split at Zweilütschinen, with one half continuing to Lauterbrunnen (where you change for the train up to Wengen), and the other half proceeding to Grindelwald.

So they just have to make sure they get into the correct end of the train at Interlaken Ost.

Carriages bound for Lauterbrunnen are usually at Sector A of Platform 2; those for Grindelwald are usually at Sector B of Platform 2. The platform sectors are denoted by square blue-and-white overhead signs along the platform.

The destination (Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen) is also clearly marked on each carriage near the doors, and there are staff to direct people.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 16:15:47 #879790

oh wow. Glad you guys mentioned that. The NY trains do not split in half. 🙂 lol

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    30 March 2018 at 5:42:50 #879791

Hello Lisadee,

Trenitalia is an excellent service in Italy and very easy to navigate. You shouldn’t have any problems on their site.

Regards Wallabybob

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 March 2018 at 5:12:34 #879792

Hi Lisa,

Here’s a little something for the boys to work on before they arrive on Swiss soil – bit.ly/2pRZg3T.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2018 at 15:31:50 #879793

Haha rock oyster. Thanks. This is great.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The thread ‘Pretend booking – need help Rome to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.