Where to have an engagement photoshoot in May 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 10:40:05 #813747

Hello all,

My fiance and I have chosen beautiful Switzerland as the location for our engagement photoshoot. We will tentatively fly into Zurich on 4th May 2018 and will be staying for 10 days, of which only 2-2.5 days is allocated for photography and videography. We will then spend the rest of the days having a short vacation before the wedding.

We would love to hear suggestions on the places that we can have our photoshoot done (we will be engaging our own photographer/videographer). As 2-2.5 days seem quite short, I have so far listed Grindelwald (hoping to visit FIrst Cliff by Tissot but i read somewhere that it is closed for maintenance in May?), Lauterbrunnen Valley (for the waterfalls, green pastures and dandelions) and Interlaken (Oberhofen Castle, Spiez castle and hopefully Jungfrau) ., We are not sure whether those spring would have just started or is in full bloom on the first week of May.Kindly advise.We hope to be able to capture photographs/videos of the snow and also signs of spring (greens and flowers).

We also plan to rent a car (to fit 4 persons) for 3 days as our photographer/videographer will have equipments to bring. Is renting a car a good choice or should we utilise the trains?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 16:56:31 #872415

Hi Viola1212 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The ideas/locations you have are good ones. You’ll get very good “Swiss” landscape pictures in those areas. The Cliff Walk should be open April 3 so that is ok for you.

Down in the Valleys yes it will be spring time in early May but once you start to go up higher you will get less flowers and greenery and eventually snow.

I would normally point people to trains for Switzerland but you needs are a bit different with extra, fragile luggage, and probably you will want the ability to stop where you want to for pictures as well – so car is probably best.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    29 November 2017 at 20:41:34 #872416

Jungfraujoch at the top of the world, Rhaetianbahn in Graubunden with great pics of the viaducts, an alpine meadow with new flowers before the cows are out. A boat trip from Luzern to Flüelen. Gornergrat with the background of the Matterhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 10:06:28 #872417

Hi Lucas, thank you so much for your suggestions.I re-looked into the maintenance schedule for The Cliff Walk and you’re right! They are open from April 3rd onwards.

The places that I have mentioned (Grindelwald, Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen Valley) are accesible by car, yes? Would we have trouble with parking?

Also, I’d like to ask whether specific license need to be obtained to fly drones (for our videography) in the places above.

Many thanks in advance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 10:08:22 #872418

Hi fredch, wonderful suggestions and all so beautiful. Unfortunately, our time with our photographer and videographer is limited to 2 to 2.5 days only. We would love to explore the entire Switzerland, but we are limited by time.

Do you think we can cover Interlaken, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen in 2.5 days for photography and videography?

Many thanks in advance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2017 at 11:14:08 #872419

Hi Viola,

There is another thread here from someone asking the same question. We have a link to a website that should help you – there are a fair bit of restrictions here.

Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen valley is car accessible as is Grindelwald, but not much around there is. Mürren and Wengen (and Zermatt) can only be reached by train or cable car.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    30 November 2017 at 12:39:55 #872420

Hi Viola,

Schynige Platte is very close to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen and has wonderful views of interlaken lakes, Jungfrau and Eiger, and Lauterbrunnen valley. Its accessible only by train so may need to be selective of photo equipment you take. Photos attached.

Riffelalp hotel just above Zermatt has great views of Matterhorn, closer view than Gornergrat. Riffelalp is a stop on way up to Gornergrat from Zermatt. The hotel grounds are quiet and fairly large to make taking photos easy. Photo from hotel of Matterhorn attached as well as view of Gornergletcher from Gornergrat summit. Assessable by cog train.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 0:36:46 #872421

>> Schynige Platte is very close to Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen and has wonderful views of interlaken lakes, Jungfrau and Eiger, and Lauterbrunnen valley. Its accessible only by train

Unfortunately the Schynige Platte train doesn’t recommence operations after the winter break until 26 May 2018, so that won’t be an option for them.

Nice photos though!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 December 2017 at 1:18:38 #872422

Hi viola,

>> We will tentatively fly into Zurich on 4th May 2018 and will be staying for 10 days, of which only 2-2.5 days is allocated for photography and videography … We would love to hear suggestions on the places that we can have our photoshoot done … hoping to visit FIrst Cliff by Tissot

I haven’t been to First at that time of year, so I’m not sure what it will look like. If there is plenty of snow, it will be pretty, but if there is a lack of snow, it might just look brown if the new grass isn’t well under way. I have attached a photo of what it looks like in winter when there is little snow. (These photos were taken in late December 2016.)

>> and hopefully Jungfrau

A nice viewpoint would be out on the Plateau. I have attached a couple of photos taken from the Plateau. The snow is there all year round.

>> We are not sure whether those spring would have just started or is in full bloom on the first week of May.

If the Jungfrau Region is neither snowy enough nor green enough at that time, I would suggest heading for lower altitudes, especially the southern lakes, e.g. Montreux, Lugano, Locarno. They usually have parks and lots of flowers along the lakeside promenades. There are various funiculars you can use to get elevated views of the lakes and their surrounding mountains.

Alpenrose

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    1 December 2017 at 1:20:18 #872423

Oops

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 13:54:36 #872424

Hello Lucas,

The link was a great help! Thank you! Will share it with our photographer/videographer.

We have decided to rent a car for the ease of carrying our equipments and luggages and will stay away from car-free towns until we are done with the photoshoot.

But in any case, the places that I have looked into are mostly outdoors. Any recommendations for beautiful locations which we can consider in case it rains on the days we are having the photoshoot?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 13:59:27 #872425

Rifflealp Hotel is a great suggestion! And yes, open space is ideal for photoshoots. But I could not seem to find the room pricing for the dates I will be there in May. Is the resort open all year?

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 December 2017 at 14:08:17 #872426

Unfortunately the Riffelalp hotel is closed between April 8 and June 17. That’s low season for them between winter and summer. The train will operate though, so you can get there to take pictures, but you can’t spend the night. You may encounter this issue for more hotels in the mountains in May.

Did you already check the list of hotels at http://www.myswissalps.com/ho tels/mountaintops? All great locations, but you will have to check whether they’re open as well. May is a tricky time, but I’m sure you’ll find something great.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 14:11:26 #872427

Hi Alpenrose,

Thank you for sharing those photos of First and thanks for pointing out that it may not be fully covered with grass. Fingers crossed that it will all be beautiful first week of May!

We have considered Jungfrau as the location for our shoot. However, we had to scrape off the plans due to the costly train tickets :/

• The thread ‘Where to have an engagement photoshoot in May 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.