Prices for Zermatt-Gornergrat train with pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 16:13:09 #813711

Are the prices for the train tickets for Zermatt – Gornegratt the same when purchase online and at the Zermatt station ie CHF38 return (with swiss travel rail pass)?

I am planning to take the train on the 22 December 2017. Would you suggest I purchase the tickets online ? Would the tickets be sold out during that period?

Also , I have a family card for the swiss rail pass where my 14 year old son will travel free. Do i include him in the child 6-16 years column if I decide to purchase the tickets online or I do not need to include him during the purchase?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 November 2017 at 16:41:20 #872217

Hi Shareenpang,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! I found that the Gornergrat railway introduced prices based on the season. Must be pretty new I think. Indeed the return price is CHF 38 on your travel date with a Swiss Travel Pass. Whether an online purchase is cheaper or more expensive depends on the price offered by the various web shops, and whether they vary by the season as well. And whether they charge you in your home currency or not. You’ll have to compare, but in general online and offline prices are about the same.

If you decide to order via http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/excursiong ornergrat, then do not order anything for your son. The Swiss Family Card covers him; no further tickets required. More purchase options are here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat/packages

I have not heard of tickets selling out for Gornergrat yet. Your travel date is the day before the Christmas break starts, which is the busiest season of the year. Whether that Friday is busy as well I don’t know. I don’t expect you to have trouble getting on a train. Some waiting time perhaps, but not worse than that.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 1:58:07 #872218

Thanks Arno!

• The thread ‘Prices for Zermatt-Gornergrat train with pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.