Printing Swiss Half Fare Card bought with SBB

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 2:50:29 #816427

I have purchased half-fare passes on the SBB website. I am concerned that I may not be printing them in an acceptable size.

When I printed directly from the link, they printed too small to read (1/6 of a page).

I was able to print passes that are half a page size from the ‘file’ tab.

I printed full-page size passes after ‘saving’ the file and I’m not really sure how I did it, and I can’t figure out how to replicate it but I printed several copies as I’ve read it’s best to do that.

What size is required for the pass to be used?

I really want to avoid any problem with the passes being valid when I arrive.

thank you, Helene

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 June 2018 at 3:25:33 #887260

You should have received a PDF file which prints to an A4 page. It should just come out the right size if you download the PDF, open it and print it.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 June 2018 at 9:26:26 #887261

Hi Helene,

If your purchased Swiss Half Fare Cards (not Half-Fare travelcard, that’s something else) via the SBB web shop at https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com/#/e n/home, then you should have received the correct format as Rockoyster explained. It should have QR code on it, your personal data and a start date. You may need to pick “fit to paper” in your printer settings or something similar, if you’re printing on North-American Letter sized paper.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 11:47:55 #887262

Thank you for all the replies.

I’m not exactly sure what A4 is but I believe it’s 8×11 size paper. That is what I printed on so I think I have the right size now!

Thanks again, Helene

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 June 2018 at 13:34:27 #887263

Sounds like you’re all set! A4 is standard size printer paper, similar but not identical to the Letter size in Canada. It’s indeed around 8×11 inch.

Enjoy your trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 4:56:52 #887264

A related question I have been meaning to ask – when we print out these tickets –

A. Do we nned to validate these at arrival or they can be used just like that ?

B. – Do we print 2-3 copies, just in case if we loose one ?

C. – Is laminating my ticket a good idea or is frowned upon ?

Thanks

Bharat

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 June 2018 at 5:02:29 #887265

Hello Bharat,

You are talking about the Swiss Travel Pass, right?

If so then:

A: No just hop on the train during your period of validity.

B: It’s a good idea to take a backup print and and the PDF on you phone or usb stick.

C. People do that – as long as the laminating does not affect the ability of the train inspector to scan the Q-Code it will be fine.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 5:29:05 #887266

Thank You. Yes, I was talking of Swiss Travel Pass.

I would do as advised.

Thank You once again, your website has been very helpful in planning this whole trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 11:05:54 #887267

Could you answer similar questions for my half-fare card?

-does it need to be validated when I arrive?

-can I cut the pass so it isn’t a full page? It looks like only the top half is really the pass.

-is it ok to fold it so it fits into a Ziploc bag as long as the QR still shows?

Thanks for your help-This forum is great-really appreciate all the help I’m getting for my questions as well as reading others questions and answers.

Helene

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2018 at 11:20:21 #887268

Hi Helene,

You can read how to use the Swiss Half Fare Card on our web page for the Swiss Half Fare Card: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/howtouse

Folding is fine but I would not cut it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2018 at 2:33:46 #887269

>> -can I cut the pass so it isn’t a full page? It looks like only the top half is really the pass.

I haven’t used a Swiss Half Fare Card, but I have used a print-at-home Swiss Travel Pass.

In the text towards the bottom of the pass, it stated (amongst other things):

Printout: full size (not scaled), on white previously unprinted A4 paper, portrait, with a resolution of at least 600 dpi. The advertising in the lower third may be detached.

Underneath that is a line that goes all the way across the page, and underneath it are the words Werbung / Publicité / Pubblicità.

Does your Swiss Half Fare Card have that as well? If so, you can cut the paper along that line.

A sturdy business size envelope, size DL (110 cm x 220 cm), which is designed for folded A4 size paper, makes a good protective wallet. Just make sure that you don’t fold your Swiss Half Fare Card through the QR code, which might not scan correctly if it is damaged.

>> -is it ok to fold it so it fits into a Ziploc bag as long as the QR still shows?

The conductor will usually want you to take it out of any thing you are keeping it in, and hand it to them so they can have a good look at it and scan it. They will sometimes ask to see your passport as well.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Printing Swiss Half Fare Card bought with SBB’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.