Proper route from Paris-Switzerland-Venice

• Winclaire
    Participant
    4 posts
    16 May 2017 at 6:56:41 #811837

Dear all,

This is our first time to travel to Switzerland, where we would like to stay at least 8 days. My concerns are:

1. What train we can take from Paris to Switzerland? What is the best train station in Paris.

2. What is the proper sequence, if we would like to see Zurich, Bern, Lucerne and Lugano?

3. Taking plane seems cheaper than train from Lugano to Venice?

Thank you very much.

Winclaire

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 May 2017 at 17:42:57 #863384

Welcome to MySwissAlps Winclaire!

1. The TGV Lyria trains are the best way to reach Switzerland from Paris. Please see myswissalps.com/traint ickets/france for details. You would take a train from Paris-Gare de Lyon bound for Zurich, get off in Basel, and switch for Lucerne there. Alternatively you can stay seated until you reach Zurich, do some sightseeing there and continue to Lucerne later that day.

2. First stay in Lucerne for local sightseeing and day trips to Bern and Zurich (or go there on your arrival day, see 1). Then stay in Lugano.

3. Flying is not a good option in this case. A train trip is more comfortable, quicker, eco-friendly, more scenic and likely cheaper. Tickets start at less than € 50. Purchase options are listed on myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy/price. As you live in the Philippines I’d recommend to check out http://www.raileurope-world.com/train/italia n-international-train s and http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ train/italian-international-trains.

Does this get you started?

Winclaire
    Participant
    4 posts
    17 May 2017 at 0:48:00 #863385

Thanks Arno,

Your reply is really helpful, for a first timer like us.

It looks like, based on your explanation we don’t need to the 8 Days Grand Tour which is really expensive.

On those are, Lucerne, Bern, Zurich and Lugano, would it be advisable to book a hostel in advance?

Best regards.

Winclaire

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 6:44:18 #863386

Hi Winclaire,

I’m glad it helped! I assume you are referring to the Grand Tour by train where you travel to a different town every day? That’s indeed not for everyone as it’s a lot of moving around and sitting in trains. It can be great depending on your objectives, but it’s a lot better if you can stay 2 or more days in each town.

I think in your case, basing yourselves in Lucerne and Lugano will work just fine. You don’t have to book hotels in Bern and Zurich too, those cities are just an hour from Lucerne so it’s an easy day trip in case of less favourable weather. Use the good weather days for trips into the mountains or on the lakes. But it’s all up to you of course!

I’m not sure when you travel, but personally I always book in advance. Hotels can book out especially in high season. Often you can cancel for free anyway, at least until 24 hours before arrival or so. Please see:

Winclaire
    Participant
    4 posts
    17 May 2017 at 8:31:01 #863387

Thanks a lot Arno,

Your suggestion in terms of days we need to stay for each location.

However, I hope there is an air bnb in those area, so we can save more.

Some of my good friends in adidas, Germany told me how nice Switzerland and it is really expensive, however I am still not losing hope. I am hoping I can still find some cheaper accomodation.

Best regards.

Winclaire

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 May 2017 at 11:19:37 #863388

Hi Winclair,

I’m not a big fan of Airbnb for various reasons, but there are certainly options to book through them in Switzerland. Switzerland is indeed expensive, but it will be doable if you make the right choices. In Lugano, for example, guests of official hotels/hostels will receive a free Ticino Ticket for unlimited traveling by train/bus and discounted traveling on other modes of transport. However, if you book an Airbnb accommodation you may not get it. So if you save at all on accommodation you’ll spend more on day trips.

For Lugano specifically you could take a look at the Montarina hostel. It is affordable and right next to the train station so it’s easy to get around. The other pages I linked to in my previous post offer quite a lot of good low budget accommodation in other towns. Even more tips on saving money are here.

Winclaire
    Participant
    4 posts
    18 May 2017 at 12:32:37 #863389

Thanks a lot Arno.

We will carefully review.

Have a good day.

Winclaire

• The thread ‘Proper route from Paris-Switzerland-Venice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.