Public holiday Nov. 1 in Lucerne – shops closed?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2017 at 14:21:20 #813486

Hello,

As I noticed that 01 November 2017 is a public holiday, but I will be heading to Luzern from Zurich on this day.

I would like to know if the timing of public transport will not be as every day and if the shops and restaurants will be closed.

Thank you,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2017 at 16:23:35 #870846

Hi Sofi123,

Yes it is All Saints day and while it isn’t an official holiday everywhere in Switzerland, it is in Lucerne. Zurich should be unaffected.
    I’m not sure though how many shops and restaurants will be closed in Lucerne though.

I would anticipate public transport isn’t effected too much (you can check the timetable online and see) though.

Perhaps be prepared that some places may be closed. Pretend it is a Sunday and be happy if you find stores open? 🙂

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    12 October 2017 at 5:56:46 #870847

Hotels, restaurants, movies, most stores, etc. will be open. Probably no local newspaper. possibly true for mail. Timetables will be the same.

This is a catholic holiday. Luzern is a catholic Kanton. In the old days, a lot would be closed. Not anymore.

• The thread ‘Public holiday Nov. 1 in Lucerne – shops closed?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.