Purchase of Swiss Travel Pass + seat reservations

• Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    9 July 2021 at 17:05:51 #825922

I have purchased a Swiss Travel Pass with 25% discount from STC. They sent me a document with a bar code for the train staff to scan. I understand what trains need seat reservations and I ordered a reservation on the Glacier Express from Happy Trails and when the purchase was complete, the note in my email said “The rail passes can be downloaded from your account (Swiss Travel Pass). These are two different companies and Happy Trails does not have my Swiss Travel Pass account information so how can they send me my Seat Reservation document that way? Should I have purchased my seat reservations through STC instead of Happy Rail? I didn’t think I had that option. Same issue on Gotthard Panorama and the Bernina? Should I have a bar code that they can scan on each train that we have seat reservations in addition to the bar code for the Swiss Pass. The next time we ggo to Switzerland, I’ll have this all figured out. Thanks in advance.

Joe Jax

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    9 July 2021 at 19:32:49 #935641

Hi Joejax,

We’ll get back to you on this as soon as as we can.

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 July 2021 at 5:37:58 #935642

Hi Joe Jax, no worries! You can buy all of your rail products from one retailer, but you don’t have to. It’s also perfectly fine to get rail passes, seat reservations and other rail products from various retailers. As long as you can show all relevant (digital) documents while traveling, you’re all set. Retailers don’t have each other’s account information and there’s no need for mutual coordination. Please see “The difference between tickets, passes and seat reservations” at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/reservations/howtouse as well.

More details about your purchases:

• You bought your Swiss Travel Pass from STC/the SBB Travel Centre. They sent you a QR code and that’s all you need, either printed or on your phone. You don’t need an account.
    • You bought seat reservations from HappyRail. That’s an e-ticket and that’s all you need. HappyRail’s text about downloading rail passes is just a general remark I guess, for customers who (also) bought a rail pass with them. If you didn’t buy a rail pass with them, you can just ignore this. HappyRail indeed stores some rail products in clients’ accounts. But if you received your e-ticket by e-mail, there’s no further need to use an account with them.

I hope this clarifies it :-)!

Billandsuz1
    Participant
    22 posts
    10 July 2021 at 13:56:08 #935643

How far in advance do I need to make seat reservations?

Anna
    6355 posts
    10 July 2021 at 16:02:54 #935644

Hi Billandsuz1,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can book your Glacier Express seats up to 3 months in advance. Some resellers however are happy to accept bookings earlier. You can find a list of resellers here: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets

Regards,

Anna

Joejax
    Participant
    93 posts
    10 July 2021 at 17:54:54 #935645

Annika.

I am now fully confident on how to use my Swiss Pass as well as our seat reservations. I will contact the Happy Rail Help Desk and inquire as to when our Glacier Express seat reservation e-tickets are going to be delivered to us by email. They have already confirmed our purchase,.

Thanks for your quick response and advice.

Joejax

• The thread ‘Purchase of Swiss Travel Pass + seat reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.