Ticket Zurich-Münich for child with her own seat

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2019 at 15:54:43 #824270

Hi, I am purchasing the train tickets from Zurich Airport to Munich HBF. My child is 3.5 years old at point of travel. When I select the age, there are a few drop down boxes options to select – ie Child is traveling with parents. If I select this option, would the child have a seat of her own throughout the journey? If not, what option should I select if I want my child to have her own seat? As it’s a Long journey, I thought it would be more comfortable.

Also, I do not need to have any Swiss Half fare card or Swiss Travel Pass to purchase the Super saver tickets am I right?

Lastly, my flight arrives Zurich airport at 07:50hr, and I’m thinking of purchasing the train ticket to Munich leaving Zurich Flughafen at 08:46hr. Would I be able to catch the train in time? I checked the DB site as well and there’s another train leaving Zurich Flughafen at 09:57hr however it is not shown in SBB website. Any reason for this? The next train leaving Zurich Flughafen to Munich on SBB is at 10:46hr.

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2019 at 0:18:59 #924025

I’m afraid you have fallen foul of the imperfections of on line timetable information, and the cheeky way the Swiss and Germans currently classify some buses as trains. Most of the connections showing up on SBB ch are only train from Flughafen to central Zurich, then bus.

The 08.46 you mention is a roundabout route with 3 changes of train, and using a collection of local trains to Ulm then a DB IC from there – none of those trains is worth reserving on.

The three direct Eurocity trains from Zurich HB to Munich leave Zurich HB at 07.02, 13.02 and 18.02, calling at Flughafen on the way

The 09.57 on the DB website isn’t picked up by the SBB (interestingly). Perhaps because it is too much of a long way round, but although the travel time is over 5 hours, it is a reasonably comfortable option (local train to Schaffhausen, IRE Schaffhausen – Ulm, IC Ulm – Munchen

Annika
    7124 posts
    22 October 2019 at 8:20:33 #924026

Hi Micheleang17!

Which option to choose for your child’s ticket for the trip Zurich Airport-München depends on the retailer you’re using. We’ve listed several at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/germany/pri ce. Are you looking at one of those websites? The option “Child traveling with parents” probably has more to do with the ticket price than with the seat reservation issue, but I can’t tell for sure as retailers may describe the options differently. In case of doubt you’d best contact the retailer of your choice directly.

Supersaver tickets can be bought without the use of rail passes, that’s correct: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland.

Personally, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with about 50 minutes to catch an international train after arriving by plane. If all goes well you should be able to make it, but in case of a delay you can easily miss the train you’ve been making reservations for. I’d recommend taking a later one. The 09.18 one, which is a direct connection (well, with one change at Zurich only), might work. The next direct train leaves at 11.18. The ones in between require more changes of trains. I seem to be getting different options than you; for what exact date are you checking times, and are you indeed using the advanced SBB timetable as displayed on http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 October 2019 at 9:33:01 #924027

Sorry, but I can”t help asking why you didn’t catch a flight direct to Munich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2019 at 18:40:33 #924028

Thank you everybody for your kind informations! For some reason when I check the SBB timetable again the next day, the 09:57hr train is showing up on SBB website. Since the price for the tickets are cheaper on the DB website, I’ve purchased it there. Hopefully there would not be any issue when boarding the trains throughout the whole journey as the booking process is somehow different from SBB. Unlike SBB website, DB website do not ask for all passengers name when booking tickets.

Annika – I am checking trains for 19th Jan 2020. I think the trains you mentioned involves taking bus, hence I did not consider them. Also taking into considerations the extra luggage cost and restricted movement as compared to taking a train which was highlighted to me in my other thread. And I’ve taken your advise and purchased the 09:57 train just in case =)

Rockoyster – Didn’t plan to go to Munich in the first place hence didn’t fly in direct. As the planning goes, for some reason we decided to de-tour to Munich =)

Thanks again everyone!

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 October 2019 at 14:49:46 #924029

Thanks for getting back to us! Glad to hear you were able to book your tickets. Sounds like you’re all set now, and I think it’s a good and less stressful choice to pick a later train. Yes, you’re absolutely right about the 09.18 and 11.18 connections being bus rides and I see why you prefer a train ride instead.

I can’t quite explain why the 09.57 doesn’t (always) show up on the SBB website. It may be due to the long transfer time (57 minutes) in Schaffhausen, which might not qualify for the SBB as being an advisable connection. On the other hand, the DB may not know all Swiss rail options and therefore present this connection which isn’t a very smooth one. Furthermore, there’s the timetable update issue: the Swiss timetables for next year have just been released, and the German railways may be dealing with this update process at the moment too. This can cause some temporary hick-ups in timetables, especially for journeys to/from neighbouring countries.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2019 at 17:45:28 #924030

Hi Annika,

Yes, more or less set for all the trains booking but accommodation is still a headache =_=

I was also hesitant initially to book this route (09:57) because of the 57mins transfer in Schaffhausen and 5mins transfer in Ulm Hbf. I am worried of the short transfer time at Ulm Hbf. Any tips for this portion? Like is there any particular compartment or area that I should board the train in Schaffhausen in order to catch the next train in Ulm Hbf easily since the transfer time is very short? I’m worried Ulm Hbf is a big station and getting from platform to platform require walking certain distances. With a child in tow and luggages, I’m not very confident on this part. Should I speak to the station staff at Schaffhausen and see what they say?

Also, 57mins in Schaffhausen with a child and luggage, any suggestion on how to kill time while waiting for the next train?

Thank you again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2019 at 7:57:40 #924031

Hello Micheleang17,

I understand your concern about a short transfer from Ulm main trainstation to Schaffhausen. I think with organizing yourself such as: know where your boarding platform is, putting the luggage near you and sitting by the exit doors helps speeds the process along. When I use to travel a lot internationally with my children, I would explain to them what we needed to do get from point A to point B, etc, and I would give them an age appropriate task: looking after their bag or making sure their shoe laces are tied, etc. I think when children are given a responsible task, and they know where and what they are doing, they are receptive and cooperating. Perhaps try those tips with your 3.5 year old. I am sure he/she will feel proud they are helping you.

While you are waiting in transit in Schauffhausen, the 57 minutes goes by quickly when you are traveling with a toddler and luggage in tow. I would suggest to do the simple things such as: search where your boarding platform is, bathroom breaks, get something to drink or snack on, and take some photos. Before you know it, the 57 minutes has gone by and you are ready to board your next train.

I hope this helps. I wish you and your child safe travels.

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 0:50:39 #924032

Ulm is not a small station, but I can’t imagine a 5 minute connection would be allowed if it was too many platforms apart between the two trains. It may be a ‘cross-platform’ connection.

The Schaffhausen – Ulm train is likely to be short-ish modern regional diesel unit train so I hope you won’t have too much trouble. I doubt the station staff at Schaffhausen would know much about Ulm. Better to talk to the Train guard. On most European trains now connections available at the forthcoming station stop (including which platform) are advertised by the train guard

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 0:53:32 #924033

“On the other hand, the DB may not know all Swiss rail options and therefore present this connection which isn’t a very smooth one. Furthermore, there’s the timetable update issue: the Swiss timetables for next year have just been released, and the German railways may be dealing with this update process at the moment too. This can cause some temporary hick-ups in timetables, especially for journeys to/from neighbouring countries.”

I doubt this is the problem in this case since all the timetables are effectively put into the same computer system.

I think your other suggestion is more likely – that SBB consider the long connecting time a ‘non-connection’

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 1:51:01 #924034

Thank you Suzanne and 1960man for your advise!

1960man – I have seen staff in uniform outside the train to hurry people to board and do a thumbs up hand signal before train doors are closed. Are they the train guard? If yes, where can I find them inside the train to check on the 5mins connections at Ulm? Are they also the ones going around to check tickets? If so, maybe I could ask when they come around to check tickets. But would that be a good idea since they would be busy checking tickets and I’ve seen a few officers who are rather fierce..

Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2019 at 6:55:18 #924035

Hello Micheleang17,

That’s exactly the way it is, the people “signalizing” ” to the driver that the train can leave are the train guards and also the ones to come and check your tickets. They should also be able to provide you with the information about changing at Ulm.

Additionally, I have quickly googled and found this page providing a nice overview of the train station in Ulm, hope it helps:
    http://www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof -de/bahnhof/Ulm_Hbf-1022164

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2019 at 3:46:32 #924036

Thank you Steph for the link on Ulm train station! Let me go study it =)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2019 at 23:55:01 #924037

It depends on the country, the size of the station and the railway. Sometimes, especially at large stations, a train will be signalled away by platform staff – who are not the on-train guards (aka train managers aka train captains) This is usual in France, Germany and UK.

In Switzerland it is often the train staff that do the platform job and the subsequent on-train job

Train staff can appear ‘fierce’ on occasion because in Europe (less so UK) such staff tend to have the status almost of security personnel not just ‘ticket collectors’

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 October 2019 at 4:12:44 #924038

Thank you 1960man!

• The thread ‘Ticket Zurich-Münich for child with her own seat’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.