Purchase Supersaving ticket from US

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 16:03:25 #811958

Hi all,

I was trying to purchase Supersaving ticket from the sbb.ch website (English version), but kept getting payment denied. I am from US, using a Chase Visa credit card. Has anyone encountered the same problem and how did you solve it?

Thanks,

Pan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 May 2017 at 16:25:01 #863833

Hi Pan,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Unfortunately this is a common problem (also see this thread). Note that SBB.ch is basically a domestic website. As a tourist you use it to get train schedules and various other travel information, but often not to buy anything. For passes they have a tourist web shop without payment issues: http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. However, Supersaver tickets are only sold through their domestic site, and payments through foreign credit cards are known to fail sometimes. As far as I know the issue is not with SBB itself, but caused by the bank of the customer. They somehow block the transaction I think. I don’t have further details but you may want to contact your bank and ask. At the very least they should allow you to make international purchases. But that may not be the only issue. The SBB app also allows you to purchase Supersaver tickets, but I’m afraid the payment process will be the same.

Just to make sure you know: Supersaver tickets are for one specific train only and not refundable if you miss that train. Please see myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/discounts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 16:31:34 #863834

Thanks! I asked my bank and they said the website never asked for payment. I guess we as tourists cannot get supersaving tickets then. 🙁

I did want a specific time/date for that particular leg of my trip!

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 May 2017 at 17:07:49 #863835

You’re welcome! In that case it’s probably caused by the payment institution who’s actually processing the transaction on behalf of SBB and your bank. It’s a third party, but that’s all I know about it. If you can use another credit card that’s probably your best bet. Otherwise it’s just bad luck I’m afraid. The only time I purchased something online from SBB it actually was a Supersaver ticket, and I used a foreign credit card too. So it can work, just not in all cases unfortunately.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 17:10:49 #863836

Try using master card. That worked for me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 17:27:01 #863837

Thanks! I will try mastercard then. One other question: i’m planning on purchasing half-fare card when I get to Switzerland, and the date will cover my supersaving ticket time. So I can just choose Half-fare travelcard option when purchasign supersaving ticket right??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 18:20:19 #863838

Yes. You do get discount on supersaver tickets too

Arno
    15484 posts
    24 May 2017 at 18:31:41 #863839

Hi Pan,

I’d recommend to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online and print it at home. That way you save time because you can skip the staffed ticket office. Also you’ll have a backup of the card just in case (a PDF document). Please see myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/price or go to the tourist webshop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en I mentioned before. Pick “Online Ticket” when asked for the delivery option.

• The thread ‘Purchase Supersaving ticket from US’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.