Purchase tickets to Top of Europe and cable car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2019 at 14:20:06 #824663

Hello,

At the risk of sounding very dumb I am going to ask some very basic questions…please forgive me.

My family are spending 4 days 3 mights in Interlaken. We would like to do the following activities:

1. one scenic rail tour, if possible to Jangfraujoch,

2. Visit The Top of Europe

3. Do a cable car trip.

We will have a rental car so we don’t need rail passes for travelling. I can’t work out what I need to purchase for the above activities. Can somebody please help PLEASE? Thank you in advance~

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2019 at 16:40:12 #926452

Hello Zionjang,

Thank you for starting a new thread, I appreciate it!

How nice to be traveling together as a family to Switzerland. I am sure you are planning the trip for your whole family, and it is never an easy task because everyone has different things they want to do and it’s not always possible. It can be overwhelmning and definitely a daunting task. Please just ask away, no worries about being perceived or judged in anyway on the forum.

I will attach links to your corresponding questions. You may also book the tickets to the activities you are interested in on these links; they are all trusted partners!

1. http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch

2. http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets

3. http://www.myswissalps.com/activities/naturalsites/mountains

Here are some interesting links about Interlaken:

In Interlaken, there is Funky Chocolate Club and you can make your own Swiss chocolate. It’s a fun activity for the whole family, especially for the children.

I have attached informative links about driving in Switzerland since you mention you have rented a car:

I hope this helps. Happy planning!

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 December 2019 at 20:01:16 #926453

You can drive to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen to catch the train to Jungfraujoch (aka Top of Europe). Buy tickets at any station.

The pricelist is here.

You can also drive to Stechelberg and take a series of cable cars to Schilthorn (Piz Gloria). Buy tickets at Stechelberg. This map will give you an idea of the other cable car opportunities in the region.

Depending on the composition of your family and the trips you intend to take it may pay to get the Swiss Half-fare Card for the adults. You can then get (free) a Swiss Family Card which provides free travel for children from 6 to 15.

When are you travelling? Have you read http://www.myswissalps.com/carversustrain?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 December 2019 at 1:35:25 #926454

For Schilthorn you can also park your car at Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look If it is open at the time of year you are travelling.

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    16 December 2019 at 2:25:17 #926455

You can drive to Wengen?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 December 2019 at 4:22:32 #926456

Oops, a senior’s moment. That should have been you can drive to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (not Wengen) of course. My bad.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2019 at 6:35:50 #926457

Hey there,

I’ve just corrected the “slippo” in the former post, so all correct now.

Cheers,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 December 2019 at 6:42:52 #926458

Merci beaucoup! 😊

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2019 at 6:48:40 #926459

De rien Monsieur!! 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2019 at 7:49:40 #926460

Thank you so much everyone! Super helpful!

So my family of 5, 3 adults and 2 children aged 8 and 15. We will be in Switzerland from December 30 – January 3. Do you think we should stay longer?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2019 at 8:02:35 #926461

Hello Zionjang,

Well now that’s a question practically impossible to answer..you can always spend more time at a destination, including small Switzerland! 🙂

In any case, your plan sounds absolutely wonderful and do-able, mainly sticking to the Interlaken area/Jungfrau Region for your stay also makes sense.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2019 at 11:37:54 #926462

A recurrent theme that I see is that people are saying to ‘check the weather to see if its clear, and then go depending on the weather- because if visibility (because of snow? cloudy?) is poor then theres no point’.

However, everywhere I look online it wants me to choose a particular date for the train ticket… how can I check the weather and decide whether to go or not if my ticket/tour is already pre-booked for a particular day? What if the day ive booked just so happens to be a horrible day (in terms of weather)? Im assuming all the weather forecasts I’ve seen for Jungfraujoch cant predict about 2 weeks ahead accurately.

What would you suggest? Buying tickets there rather than online? Is that going to be a lot more expensive then just booking now and risking the weather?

Neil
    Participant
    12 posts
    16 December 2019 at 12:09:05 #926463

My wife and I were there in September—you are in for a treat!! We stayed in Wengen. I would advise that you not buy tickets for Jungfrau until the day you want to go. If it is cloudy you’ll be disappointed. All hotels have weather information. If you go on a sunny day, the scenery is breathtaking–stunningly beautiful! A long, but fantastic day trip would be: train to Wengen; stroll around town–its a really pleasant town. Take the cable car UP (you can’t go down) from Wengen to Mannlichen–an option on the cable car is to stand on the top in the open air–really good. From Mannlichen walk to Klein Scheidegg. This is an easy, mostly downhill trail offers spectacular views the Lauterbrunnen Valley and the mountain peaks of Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau. This “hike” is suitable for all ages and ability levels. At Klein Scheidegg have a meal, then get on the train to Jungfrau. Something else you should consider ,if the ferry is running when you are there, is a trip on Lake Brienz, the view from the boat of lakeside Alpine villages is fantastic. You can catch the ferry adjacent to Interlaken Ost train station. My wife and I are well travelled, and rarely visit the same place twice. However, the Bernese Oberland area is already on our radar for a trip back in 2023 on the occasion of our fiftieth anniversary! Cheers!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2019 at 12:49:30 #926464

Hi Neil, did you find buying the tickets on the day to Jungfrau particularly more expensive than online? Were there enough tickets? and did this allow you enough time to spend up on Jungfrau?

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    16 December 2019 at 13:32:44 #926465

I believe Zionjang will be there in the winter (end of Dec to beginning of Jan so the hike from Mannlichen to Klein Scheidegg will probably not work. And the cable car up to Mannlichen? You can take it back down unless something has changed since I was there in September.

Neil
    Participant
    12 posts
    16 December 2019 at 13:36:16 #926466

I checked the night before we wanted to go and the weather looked favourable, so we “penciled” it in. However mountain weather changes fast so we waited until the next morning to buy the tickets, which are expensive—but well worth it. After breakfast the next morning it still looked good, so using our half-fare passes we bought our tickets at our hotel and off we went. Jungfrau was spectacular. On the way back, we got off the train at Klein Schiedegg, enjoyed lunch, then walked back—downhill- to Wengen. It was a rather long walk, but we ambled, stopped frequenty to admire the magnificent scenery, and all-in-all enjoyed a wonderful day!

Neil
    Participant
    12 posts
    16 December 2019 at 13:38:15 #926467

You are correct. I meant you can only go up from Wengen–

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2019 at 14:23:18 #926468

Hello again,

I would recommend to purchase the tickets closer to the day you plan to visit the Jungfraujoch. You can buy them online or at the ticketing counter upon arrival. Winter is not high season for the Top of Europe, although you will find lots of skiers on the lower parts of the train, but will have no trouble whatsoever buying the tickets once you know the weather’s fine.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets

To check the weather use below link and the MeteoSWISS App in the second link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/weather
    http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Purchase tickets to Top of Europe and cable car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.