Purchasing a Swiss Card or a Swiss half card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2013 at 0:02:47 #805772

I’ll be arriving in Geneva from Paris mid day on Monday June 23. My understanding is that I can buy a Swiss Card or a Swiss Half Card upon my arrival in Geneva which will allow me to avoid the prepurchase fees. Is my understanding correct?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 February 2013 at 2:50:10 #837974

Hello tlk1951,

Yes, you can buy locally or online; please see the Swiss Half Fare Card page and Swiss Card page for details. There are prepurchase fees in some cases, but none in other cases. I assume you’ve checked the details, but just to be sure: the pages also show the prices of the various resellers (which vary by country of residence, exchange rate, promotions), whether you can pay in your own currency rather than Swiss francs (to avoid bank fees), and more details. Currently, for example, UK residents save money by buying online.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2013 at 8:36:17 #837975

Thanks fior the response. I made an error in my earlier note in that I am arriving mid day on Sunday, June 23 (not Monday). Where can I find the business hours for the Geneva train station so I can be sure I can buy a ticket locally?

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 February 2013 at 1:55:54 #837976

Hi tlk1951,

Opening hours are on the website of the SBB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2013 at 8:12:07 #837977

Thanks for your prompt response. I did find the site (thank you). It looks like “prompt sale” will be available on Sunday. That said, what is the defination of “prompt sale”? Machine only? Or, counter sales without advice?. I just need to make sure that I can buy a Swiss half card or Swiss card upon my arrival whether it is from a machine or a person.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 February 2013 at 8:46:27 #837978

Hi tlk1951,

Both cards cannot be purchased through machines. You’d best contact the SBB for more information about that prompt sale option. You can also have either of those cards being delivered to your hotel for minimal costs, but I assume you’ve seen this option amongst the others.

• The thread ‘Purchasing a Swiss Card or a Swiss half card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.