Purchasing Swiss Half Fare Card from USA

• mspjap
    Participant
    2 posts
    27 June 2017 at 20:39:50 #812437

I began to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card online for me and my wife. The order form asks for the number of cards to be ordered, but only asks the name of the purchaser. Why does it not ask for the name of each traveler? Does the card not have the person’s name on it?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2017 at 21:05:45 #865901

Hi mspjap,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Purchase options are listed here. I am not sure which one of these websites you ordered from. If they don’t ask for more traveler names that normally means they will send Swiss Half Fare Card with blank spaces to fill out your names and passport numbers yourself.

You can also choose the print at home version, which I would recommend. In that case they’ll ask for all details and everything will be printed on the cards: please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en, click to the Swiss Half Fare Card and fill out the number of travelers. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. That’s when they’ll ask for more passenger details. They will e-mail the cards within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees).

mspjap
    Participant
    2 posts
    27 June 2017 at 21:17:26 #865902

Thank you Arno. For some reason I understood the card that is shipped to the US would be plastic, so there would be no opportunity to fill in names. But if it is paper, then there does not seem to be much point paying to have a card shipped. As you say, better to do email and print at home

Arno
    15484 posts
    27 June 2017 at 21:36:00 #865903

Yes, it’s paper in any case. With the print at home option you have the additional benefit of a PDF file which serves as a backup (you can print it again if needed).

• The thread ‘Purchasing Swiss Half Fare Card from USA’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.