Purchasing train tickets with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 11:29:43 #817152

I am planning to buy the Swiss Half Price Tickets as from my calculations this seem to be the best deal for me based on the trips we plan to do when in Switzerland. We will arrive at Basel airport and then get the train down to Interlaken. I want to buy the transfer tickets in advance from the airport to Interlaken but if I specify what time bus and train I want to get do I have to make sure I get that exact train at that time or if we arrive a bit later I can get the next train?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 12:31:05 #890725

Hi P, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

When you buy a standard ticket (not a Supersaver ticket), the ticket is valid for that route for the whole day. There will just be a date specified on the ticket, not a time.

Supersaver tickets are discounted, and valid for a specific departure. If you miss that train, you have to buy another ticket.

Although your journey involves a bus and train, you can get one ticket for whole trip.

Are you taking the fastest route, or incorporating the scenic route from Luzern to Interlaken Ost over the Brünig Pass?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 12:42:55 #890726

Thanks for your help Alpenrose666.

I will order the Swiss Half Price Tickets online and then order the trip from Basel to Interlaken on-line ensuring I get the standard ticket and I assume I can tell them I have the Half price Ticket when ordering.

Also we plan to go up to the Jungfrau while we are there but will wait to check the weather each day. I have been told the queues at Interlaken Ost station can be very busy in the morning so do you know if you can go to the station the night before and order these tickets for the next day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 12:53:59 #890727

>> I will order the Swiss Half Price Tickets online and then order the trip from Basel to Interlaken on-line ensuring I get the standard ticket and I assume I can tell them I have the Half price Ticket when ordering.

Yes, the default price that comes up is for passengers with a Swiss Half Fare Card (for tourists) or Half-Fare travelcard (for Swiss residents). You can buy your ticket before getting your Swiss Half Fare Card. You just need to make sure you have them both when you board the bus/train.

>> Also we plan to go up to the Jungfrau while we are there but will wait to check the weather each day. I have been told the queues at Interlaken Ost station can be very busy in the morning so do you know if you can go to the station the night before and order these tickets for the next day.

Yes, you can. And you can actually get the ticket from any staffed railway station in Switzerland.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 13:36:09 #890728

Thank you, this is very helpful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 13:38:10 #890729

Hi P gutteridge,

Here are some useful links for you on buying tickets and passes online:

1. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price
    2. https://www.myswissalp s.com/traintickets/swi tzerlandhalffare (to buy 1/2 fare tickets online)
  • The thread ‘Purchasing train tickets with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.