Swiss trip plans: Zurich, Luzern, Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 12:36:30 #813048

Hi,

I will be traveling to Switzerland from 26Aug to 2Sept. I have bought Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days( 1 days in Zurich, 3days in Lucerne and 2 days in Wengen). I was using this forum for planning my trip. Really good source of information. Thanks to all the contributors.

I have few questions

1. Which is the cheapest route from Stuttgart to Zurich asI want to use the Swiss Travel Pass after I enter Switzerland, As per my search I found that I can go for Baden Württemberg Ticket from Stuttgart Airport to Ulm main Hbf and from Ulm main Hbf to Schaffhausen. Are there any other/better options?
    2. Do I need to really reserve the seats on Golden pass route? Considering most of my travel will be on weekdays?
    3. What are the scenic day trips I can do from Zurich?
    4. Can I cover a trip to Montreux from Lucerne or Interlaken?
    5. I have bought Titlis 30th, and Schilthorn 1st Excursions with my Swiss Travel Pass, considering weather situations can I change the dates of visit if it rains on booked day? If yes how?
    6. How much time it will take to cover Schilthorn from Wengen, what else can I cover on the same day?
    7. On last day 2nd Sept I have to take a flight from Basel at around 4pm, how can I make most out of my travel from Wengen to Basel?

Thanks in advance!

Suyash

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2017 at 15:50:05 #868824

Hi Suyash,

1. Prices for trains can vary as you get closer to your travel date. There is no cheapest route really. If you want to spend the time you can play with the timetable (Deutsche Bahn) to see various routes that you can find. I would look here and try those various company’s to find the best price on offer on a direct route.
      Personally, I would take that regional trains only ticket…unless you have time to kill. I’d spend a little extra for more direct/faster train. 🙂
    2. You don’t have to reserve seats on the Golden Pass -they aren’t mandatory. The train could be empty or the seats could all be full so it is a chance you could take.
    3. This question depends on how far from Zurich you want to go in a day. There is the RheinFalls (1 hour by train) or Mt. Pilatus 2 to 2,5 hours by train. There aren’t many options very close to Zurich though.
    4. This would be done when you take the Golden Pass. What do you mean by cover Montreux?
    5. No, I don’t believe you can change the tickets once bought – we always recommend not to buy tickets until the day before so you know the weather will be good. Try contacting the company you bought them from in case they have a lenient change policy.
    6. You can use the Swiss Railways timetable to plan your trip to Schilthorn from Wengen (and all other trips around the country). I would expect you to spend at least 2 hours at the top of Schilthorn
    7. I would either spend the day exploring Basel or Bern or perhaps a lake cruise on Lake Brienz?

I hope that helps you finalize your itinerary, let us know if you have more questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 5:29:03 #868825

Hi Suyash,

>> 1.Which is the cheapest route from Stuttgart to Zurich asI want to use the Swiss Travel Pass after I enter Switzerland, As per my search I found that I can go for Baden Württemberg Ticket from Stuttgart Airport to Ulm main Hbf and from Ulm main Hbf to Schaffhausen. Are there any other/better options?

The Baden-Württemberg Ticket might be a good option if the conditions attached to it suit you:

The regional day ticket for Baden-Württemberg is valid from 09:00 to 03:00 on the following day, all day on weekends and public holidays, on all local and regional trains, on transport association services and on almost all bus routes in Baden-Württemberg.

Price in 2nd class: EUR 23 plus EUR 5 per extra passenger (max. 4).

https://www.bahn.com/e n/view/offers/regional /regional-day-tickets.shtml

To find routes, use the Deutsche Bahn timetable at

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ bin/query2.exe/en?rt=1&

When doing a timetable search, select the option “only local transport” if you will be using a Baden-Württemberg Ticket. Those tickets are not valid for IC, EC and ICE trains.

>> 2.Do I need to really reserve the seats on Golden pass route? Considering most of my travel will be on weekdays?

I would think the majority of people who travel on the official Golden Pass are tourists, including large tour groups. They travel every day of the week. You will be travelling in high season, and several people have reported recently in this forum that there was standing room only on the Golden Pass for people without reservations. The busiest sector is between Zweisimmen and Montreux, as those trains have the panoramic windows.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 6:33:21 #868826

Thanks Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 6:36:52 #868827

Thank you Alpenrose,

Regarding reservations, how can I do it?

Can I do it online or on mobile app? Where to mention my exsisting swiss travel pass details?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 17:26:20 #868828

Hi Shembekar,

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass through out web page here. You don’t get any discount on the reservation with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss trip plans: Zurich, Luzern, Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.