Queries: Brienzer Rothorn + Harder Kulm

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 8:17:37 #816816

Hi,

Few Questions reg my trip

1. What is the name of starting point from Sörenberg to reach Brienzer Rothorn via cable car ( I was looking for fare and timings in sbb) but it was showing only buses

2. Also fare mentioned is half fare card when i check in sbb (it is same as swiss pass – 50% reduction)

3. Did i read the info correct that it takes 5.5 hours for round trip of Brienzer Rothorn using 5 modes of transportation as suggested in the landing page

4. Under page of STP validity, I could not find Harder Klum but i read in the forum discussions (it is discounted by 50% )

Thanks a lot!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 13:07:11 #889082

Hi Sjchaos,

1. No train to Sörenberg, so indeed a bus is your only option.
    2. Yes, you must double the fare to get the regular fare on the timetable. The Swiss Travel Pass (not Swiss Pass by the way) covers the bus trip though so no need to worry about fares to Brienzer Rothorn if you have that pass.
    3. From Sörenberg? No only 35 minutes. But you are coming from the other side of the mountain so you don’t take the steam train that 95% of tourists take as everyone comes from the Brienz side. You take a gondola.
    4. Harder Kulm is only noted as Harder on the PDF map (right above Interlaken). It is 50% off with the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/validity
    Annika
    7104 posts
    22 June 2018 at 17:47:41 #889083

Hi Sjchaos! You probably mean the round trip Interlaken-Sörenberg-Brienzer Rothorn-Interlaken as described at myswissalps.com/brienz errothorn? Yes, takes quite some hours indeed, but it’s perfectly doable as a day trip. You can find post bus routes to/from Sörenberg in the timetable at myswissalps.com/timeta ble. There’s a link to the Brienzer Rothorn Sörenberg cable car timetables at the Brienzer Rothorn page I just mentioned, under ‘More on other websites’.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 23:37:34 #889084

Sörenberg is served by bus from Schupfheim, on the Luzern – Bern Emmental valley line, so yes, from the north side it is train – bus – cable car to reach the Brienzer Rothorn

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 10:19:40 #889085

Hi,

Sörenberg is served by bus from Schupfheim – I checked timings & fare on postbus app. It is mentioned as 30 mins ride with 27 stops. Is it not too many no of stops 🙂

I would love a scenic bus ride but I am easily confused looking at no of stops.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2018 at 15:39:32 #889086

Hi Sjchaos,

All Swiss buses have a TV display showing the final destination and the upcoming 3 stops – so it is fairly easy to know when your stop is coming up. The easiest public transport system I’ve ever used!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 17:34:38 #889087

Thanks Lucas. Now that I am fine tuning my trip. I already havehtaken STP. I plan to keep my schedule flexible as per weather as advised in most of your threads.

To pay for cable car, gondola, bus etc, I can use cash card (MasterCard/visa) or any places require cash?

These tickets can be bought easily on the spot I understand.

Also Euro is acceptable widely or we need to convert to sw.francs?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 5:29:33 #889088

If you are buying tickets at a rail station you won’t have an issue with credit cards, but for buses you’ll need Swiss Francs (coins).

A few larger retailers (rail office, grocery store) may accept Euros but then give change in Swiss Francs and it isn’t a good exchange rate for you. Most shops of course only accept Swiss Francs and some don’t accept credit cards. You should definitely convert to Francs. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swissfranc

Tickets can be bought on the spot for sure.

• The thread ‘Queries: Brienzer Rothorn + Harder Kulm’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.