Swiss Travel Pass & travel with nephew

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 21:08:19 #816150

Hello,

I have a question about Purchasing the Swiss Travel Pass for 8 days. On the Travel Pass, it says that if a parent purchases a ticket their child travels alongside them for free. I will be traveling with my nephew and I am wondering if he can receive a free pass just as a child would if they traveled with their parent. The difference would be that I am not a parent/foster parent, nor am I an official guardian.

I am still considered a youth because I am 23 and my nephew is 15 and will be 16 June 1st. Because of my age, would I still qualify as being the adult in my situation?

Thank you!

Nicky Delgadillo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2018 at 22:54:19 #885984

Hello Nicky,

Yes you would be considered an adult. No you can’t use a Swiss Family Card for free travel for a nephew.

You need a Children’s Co-Travel Card but that only works for children < 16. When are you travelling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 10:53:44 #885985

Okay I will look into the children’s co travel card. Well I would like to purchase the passes within the day. We won’t arrive to Switzerland until the 28th of May and we leave on June 9. My nephew Johnathan will turn 16 June 1st.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 May 2018 at 11:58:27 #885986

Hi Nicky,

You’re considered an adult in the sense that your nephew can be accompanied by you. But you’re young enough to take advantage of the Youth discount on the Swiss Travel Pass 🙂 You can buy your pass from any of the retailers listed here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. I’d recommend to order it no later than 3 working days before you depart. In most cases you’ll receive the pass much quicker though, within 30 minutes even. You can print it at home, and print an extra copy too to be on the safe side.

The Children’s Co-Travelcard can be purchased at any staffed train station in Switzerland upon showing both your passports and your Swiss Travel Pass Youth. However, the Children’s Co-Travelcard can only be used for 4 days: up to the 16th birthday. You would still need an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass Youth for your nephew too, starting on June 1.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass & travel with nephew’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.