Organizing transport & hiking around Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 15:58:43 #816887

HI, we will be arriving from Paris on 17 July via TGV Lyria, arriving Basel at 10:26, then taking trains/ cable car to Murren, stay 2 nights at Chalet Fontana. Next night (19 July) stay in Lauterbrunnen. will catch early train to Brig to get Glacier Express to St. Moritz. So we have 2 full days in Murren/Lauterbrunnen area.

We want to visit Schilthorn one morning and eat breakfast at Piz Gloria. We have waited to make restaurant reservations to see which day has better weather. We also would like to do some hiking trails suitable without hiking boots/poles – maybe Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, allmendhubel flower trail, north face trail, mountain view trail. We would also like to explore Gimmelwald and see Trummelbach falls.

We will have swiss travel pass flex to use for 1 of the 2 days only. I’m struggling to figure out best way to maximize travel pass and do as much of these as possible, economically. Is it reasonable to do Schilthorn one morning, then take cable car back down to Stechleberg, bus to Lauterbrunnen stopping at Trummelback falls, take transport up to Mannlichen, hike to Kleine Scheidegg, down to Wegneralp, then train back to Lauterbrunnen, then transport back to Murren? then spend second day exploring Gimmelwald and maybe doing Allmenhubel? or should we just stay on 1 side of the valley?

We are thinking of renting bikes to get from Murren to Lauterbrunnen to stay the night.

Any recommendations/suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 5:39:27 #889438

Hi eurodani,

My first thought is that Lauterbrunnen and Mürren are fairly close and I would just stay in one spot all 3 nights.

Other than that your plan for day 1 is long but doable if you want to maximize that Swiss Travel Pass Flex! I’d skip Trummelbach falls on day 1 though and move it to day 2 (you’ll have a lot more time). The earlier you get going to Schilthorn the better for sure. You can check schedules for trains, buses and cable cars on the timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/wengernal p-kleinescheidegg/route
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/maennlich en-kleinescheidegg

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 17:23:26 #889439

Thank you, Lucas. Yes,We want to maximize the Swiss Pass as much as possible.🙂. Do you know if the Schilthorn restaurant take walk ins for the brunch? We didn’t want to make reservations because of not knowing which day weather was better, but when I looked at reservations for those days, it appears nothing is available before 9 am. Since brunch starts at 8 am, if I read it correctly, should I presume the earlier times are booked or they just start reservations at 9?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 18:11:44 #889440

Looks like breakfast starts at 8am so if that time isn’t available on your date of travel then it is already booked out I would imagine. They show slots to pick on the website when you click book now: https://schilthorn.ch/ en/Info/Offers

I like how the Germans split the morning options on the Schilthorn website to Breakfast or Morning. 🙂 way to confuse English speakers. I’d make a booking now at the best time you can get and send them an email to confirm.

If they ask for pre-payment on the website for tickets and brunch then make the reservation over email with them (as you won’t pay for tickets with the STP Flex).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 23:50:04 #889441

Was able to make reservations today for our desired time. Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 8:12:03 #889442

Super – did you end up emailing them directly and asking them for the time you wanted?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 9:44:22 #889443

Apparently I was not doing something correctly before when I tried to book online. After I emailed them to ask about the reservations for the brunch and cable car, I was able to find and make the reservations online for the brunch. We plan to take the 1st cable car from Mürren at 7:40 am, which they don’t offer reservations for. Onr question though, do the clouds tend to be lower/thicker in the morning or afternoon up in this area of the Alps? Or it’s it just dependent on each days weather?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 16:34:08 #889444

It is really weather dependent when you are there. I haven’t noticed if the mornings have more clouds typically but perhaps a Swiss who has been hiking regularly over the years may be able to tell you better than I. 🙂

• The thread ‘Organizing transport & hiking around Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.