Tipping on Swiss mountain pass bus tour?

• jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    30 April 2019 at 20:47:45 #821343

I took the mountain pass bus ride that starts and ends in Meirengen two years ago. I plan on taking it again as the weather on the last trip was cloudy and foggy ( one week before it ended in October).

This bus is 99% tourists and I didn’t see any local people get on and off. Is it customary to give the driver a tip at the end? After the last trip I felt embarrassed that I didn’t. How many SF would you suggest.

BTW, it is an amazing ride and I suggest it for any Swiss visitors. It starts pretty early and is a full day. It’s free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

John

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 April 2019 at 21:06:22 #911025

I don’t know the answer to your question John but if anyone else is interested in this bus trip see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/postbus-through-four-passes-of-the-central-alps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2019 at 16:34:12 #911026

Hi Jlovda

We would love to hear more about this bus ride, once you complete it you can post about your experience on our forum: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/tripreports

Tipping is not common in Switzerland at all, anywhere http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tipping-amounts-in-switzerland

Having said that, sometimes (not very often) in restaurants and bars, you may find tipping is appreciated, if so they will have a box or a jar next to the pay point with the label “Trinkgeld” in the Swiss German part or “Pourboire” for the French speaking part. Both are literally translated into “drink money”, so the idea is the bar or restaurant staff could buy themselves a drink. Even then most people don’t tip but rather deposit the lose change there from a transaction.

What is more common is to round up the bill, but there is no rule as in the US. Specially if it is a bus ride, there is no need to tip the driver, unless it was a private tour company or something and they explicitly told you the staff expect a tip.

Of course if you’re really satisfied with the trip or service, no one is preventing you from doing it!

Hope this helps and look forward to reading about your adventure!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Tipping on Swiss mountain pass bus tour?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.