Recommendations on day trip to Ticino from Zermatt

• natham
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 March 2018 at 8:10:19 #814926

hello from the UK

i wasn’t sure which forum to pick as it was a question over all 3 forums so posted it here I hope that’s ok.

Switzerland has been my holiday destination since 2014 . I did a self guided tour in 2014 over 2.5 weeks and found my favourite base of wengen which I returned to in May 2015 & 2016 -though some of the walking routes were closed due to snow. Last year we didnt manage it. In September this year we are back in wengen base for 2 weeks, to walk the (hopefully open walking trails) though I saw on the wengen webcam you had snow in August last year ! So who knows what weather will be like 😃 but it will still be beautiful with sun or snow I wanted to give you some background before my question

I always buy the Swiss pass for the full trip and have planned to travel to zermat for a stay at the 3100 KULMHOTEL GORNERGRAT hotel on the mountain as a treat as it’s my 50th birthday. Then we wanted to take a trip to Ticino, (not visited before ) and stay 1 night is this easiest to continue from zermat or from wengen? And could you please recommend a hotel. If staying 1 day what shouldn’t be missed on my whistle stop tour. Thank you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 March 2018 at 8:29:34 #879661

Hello natham and welcome to MySwissAlps,

When are you travelling this year?

From Zermatt you can take a train to Locarno via Domodossola. Between Domodossola and Locarno you will travel on the Centovalli Express through lovely country.

From Wengen you would need to get back to Luzern and then get a train to Lugano.

Will leave the suggestions for must see in Ticino and hotels to others but for me cruising around Lake Lugano was the highlight.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2018 at 10:53:07 #879662

Hi Natham,

I’m heading to Lugano and Locarno next week and will take the Centovalli Express as Rockoyster recommended – supposed to be great! I’ll will write up a trip report about it here in early April.

It will be my first trip to the area as well so I don’t have specific recommendations on what to do. I will hopefully take a lake cruise and visit Valle Verzasca I’ll let you know what I get up to.

At the moment, the weather is not looking great at the moment, hopefully it improves!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2018 at 0:31:04 #879663

>> Then we wanted to take a trip to Ticino, (not visited before ) and stay 1 night is this easiest to continue from zermat or from wengen?

From Zermatt, you could travel first to Brig, and if the timing is right, catch a PostBus over the Simplon Pass to Domodossola, from where you could continue on the Centovalli Railway. (Centovalli means 100 valleys.)

I have written a trip report (with photos) about this journey. If you are interested, you will find it under the heading Saas-Fee to Locarno on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

Alpenrose

natham
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 March 2018 at 7:36:03 #879664

Thank you everyone for the quick replies. I’ll look at all these tips plus your report Alpenrose and will i come back to read about your trip Lucas before my 2 week holiday in mid September

• The thread ‘Recommendations on day trip to Ticino from Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.