Question about registering in the SBB app

• Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    23 February 2020 at 12:11:21 #825322

Upon registering for an account in the SBB app, The first question asked is “Do you hold a public transport travel card?” I seem to recall reading somewhere that this is a question that pertains to residents of Switzerland and travelers should answer “no” to that question. Am I correct?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    23 February 2020 at 14:41:21 #930694

Hi Timbertrail,

If you a have a Swiss Half Fare Card, you can indicate that at the set-up. I’m not sure if the SBB Mobile is programmed to recognise the Swiss Travel Pass yet, but if you do have one I think choosing the GA option would suffice.

I hope that answers your question.

More details about how to use the SBB timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 February 2020 at 22:13:09 #930695

Say no. That question is for residents.

If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you don’t need tickets. If you have a Swiss Half-fare Card you can set that in Passenger Details.

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    23 February 2020 at 22:21:02 #930696

Well, none of this really answered the question. I am creating an account in the app so that I can save trips, etc., and make reservations for Panoramic trains. Should I answer no to the question I posed above if I have. Swiss Travel Pass?

thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 February 2020 at 23:09:33 #930697

I said “Say no” meaning answer the question in the negative.

Your very first assumption was correct. The question is whether you have a Swiss domestic travel pass of some form – you don’t.

It’s a long time since I set up an account. In fact I created an account on the SBB website before the SBB app was released. Being logged into the same account on both the website and the app means that any tickets purchased on either source are accessible via both sources.

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    24 February 2020 at 2:23:44 #930698

Sorry! I don’t know why, but your response wasn’t showing up in total. The first line wasn’t visible. Weird. I see it now on aa different device. Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2020 at 13:17:29 #930699

Timbertrail

Not sure if this applies to you, but I was having problems registering with the SBB app and after emailing back and forth with the SBB people they registered me, sent me a customer number and the registration still didn’t work. Finally was told to check the box stating “ yes, I have a travel card” and all went well after that. Previously I was checking “no”.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 February 2020 at 19:59:53 #930700

Hi Harvey,

That’s odd. If you tick the button to say you have a public transport then you get asked to provide a Customer Number (see attached). How did you get past that obstacle?

I just tried the registration process for myself. If I say no card I get an “unexpected error occurred”. If I say yes I hav a card then I get stuck at the Customer number question. Catch-22.

As I said I set up my account well before the SBB mobile app became a thing and they introduced this SwissPass connection so didn’t encounter this problem originally.

How did you go @Timbertrail?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2020 at 21:27:31 #930701

hi Rockoyster

When I was trying to register on SBB, it wouldn’t accept my address information. So, after a few back and forth emails with SBB and still no luck with registering, they asked me for the pertinent information and did my registration for me. Then they sent me a customer number which finally got the registration done.

Below is part of their final email to me.

“Please click on the following link:

https://www.swisspass.ch/embeddable/register/1?lang=en

Then select “I hold a public transport travelcard”. There you can enter your customer number (xxx-xxx-xxx-x) and your postcode. Then the registration should work.”

How did you go @Timbertrail? Huh?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 February 2020 at 21:38:56 #930702

OK thanks. What a weird situation.

How did you go @Timbertrail? Huh?

Simply asking Timbertrail how she got on trying to register. 🤓

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2020 at 0:51:54 #930703

Hi Harvey and Timbertrail if you are still following along.

Earlier when I was getting the “unexpected error” thing I was trying to register on an iPad via both the app and Swisspass.ch.

I just tried again using Safari on a Mac and it worked.

The only other difference is that I changed the way I supplied the address.

In the Street field I put “Streetname” and in Address (contd.) field I put “Road 99”. Previously I just had the number in Address (contd.) and “Streetname Road” for Street.

So there are three possible causes for the error:

• The Swisspass registration website was temporarily broken
    • The site is browser sensitive
    • The site is super fussy about address formats.

I have emailed SBB to ask them if they can explain which it is.

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    25 February 2020 at 1:22:29 #930704

<How did you go @Timbertrail?>

I finally got registered on my Mac. I didn’t try again with the app.

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    25 February 2020 at 1:23:20 #930705

I answered “no” to the travel card question, also.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 February 2020 at 1:47:31 #930706

Yay.

OK well I just tried the same thing at the Swisspass.ch website on my iPad and got the unexpected error so I think we can safely assume that there is a bug in the registration website when using an iPad.

I’ll report my findings to SBB.

• The thread ‘Question about registering in the SBB app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.