Which rail pass for Zurich-Zermatt-Wengen-Geneva?

• Ivanhoe888
    Participant
    5 posts
    15 October 2018 at 20:41:44 #818706

Hi all,

I will be arriving in Switzerland in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering which pass should I get?

My route will be Zurich-Zermatt-Wengen-Geneva. Weather permitting, I would like to do a mountain excursion or two.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 October 2018 at 21:15:01 #897976

Hello Ivanhoe and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Sorry but there is no magic answer to that question.

A clearly mapped out itinerary will provide you with the basis for deciding which pass (if any) suits.

Using your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can find the fares for any trip using the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Ivanhoe888
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 October 2018 at 12:56:58 #897977

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I checked the timetable, and I got different prices: one train lists the price at CHF 49 and the next one at 25.80. Which doesn’t really matter, since, when I click on it, the price changes to CHF 64! am I doing something wrong?

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 October 2018 at 13:07:10 #897978

Hi Ivanhoe,

You’re looking at “from” prices for travelers with discount passes and special tickets with restrictions. You’d best ignore all prices you’ll see initially, click the red button and select “No discount” for the regular price. This is explained under ‘How to find ticket prices’ on http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Ivanhoe888
    Participant
    5 posts
    16 October 2018 at 19:57:17 #897979

Thanks. I think in the end I’ll go for the Swiss HF card.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    17 October 2018 at 1:22:33 #897980

Good pick. That makes the most sense for your itinerary. Been doing it now 21 years in a row.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2018 at 6:28:20 #897981

Hi Ivanhoe888,

You can find prices for the Swiss Half Fare Card on our website here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price

It would be more convenient to buy it online. It can be emailed to you and printed at home (saving you time at the airport train station and giving you a copy to print out again in case you lose your pass).

Ivanhoe888
    Participant
    5 posts
    17 October 2018 at 19:15:23 #897982

Very helpful, thanks.

My question is, don’t I have to go to the train station anyway to buy tickets for my destinations? Unless I get them online as well – after I buy the HF card?

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    17 October 2018 at 19:30:49 #897983

Yes, you do need to go to the train station to buy tickets (unless you buy them using the excellent SBB mobile app). BUT, if you buy your HFC card on line it will come to you as an email attachment. Then you can print multiple copies and stash them in multiple places in case you lose one and, of course, have it resident on your computer so you can print it again if you lose all of them! You will need to show a hard copy (along with your ticket) while on the train. If you wait to buy the HFC at the train station you will get one copy only. Scary thought! At least for me.

Don’t buy your train tickets ahead of time. Much of the travel in the area is weather dependent and if you buy a ticket in advance then change your mind about what you want to do that day you are out the money. There is no cost advantage to buying in advance. With exception of SuperSaver tickets for long hauls which can be a great deal. However, then you are committed to the day and specific train you’ve already bought the ticket for.

Ivanhoe888
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 October 2018 at 6:31:27 #897984

I didn’t think of that. Very helpful, thanks!

• The thread ‘Which rail pass for Zurich-Zermatt-Wengen-Geneva?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.